Is my RC-7 center channel blown?

plissken99

No setting for x-over for individual speakers that I can find, only the subwoofer. As the manual says when you set the sw crossover to say 80hz that "Frequencies below this point will be sent to the subwoofer(or LARGE speakers)". The RC-7 has a frequency response of "45Hz-20kHz (+-)3dB".

And yeah thats another reason I never thought of that, because a tweeting sound is not a sound one expects of a speaker being overdriven. Here a link to the manual btw, the relevent stuff starts on page 78. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1120-K_OperatingInstructions0430.pdf

You may have cut off the frequencies that caused the issue, but typically a driver will bottom out if it's getting too low a signal. You described the issue as "tweeting" as I recall. I wouldn't think that a driver would tweet if it was being overdriven. More like THUNK THUNK THUNK.

I have heard buzzing/ resonating noises other then a driver bottoming out (this was with car audio) when overdriving a speaker;

Not just overdriving at the lowest frequencies but excessive vibrating etc; at a bit higher frequency; say ~40hz-50hz.....

It is impossible to know for sure without hearing it in person......

Ceca may be right.....

Or; this may have just been distortion resonating in a weird way in the cabinet.......

Any chance of getting a second set of knowledgable ears over to get his/her opinion?

I am left remembering what my mom used to say:

Me: "My elbow hurts when I do this...."

Mom: "DON'T DO THAT!"

Heh, well if anyone wants to drop by for a listen their more than welcome, I'm in Richland Hills, TX. Sandwiched right in the middle of Dallas and Ft. Worth, fyi.

Thaddeussmith is up there by you and also uses an RC-7. You might PM him. He's a stand up guy (don't tell him I said that).