Klipsch RF-10 with Pioneer Reciever and Sony Subwoofer. Is this a good setup?

ZASKARK

All I want is to experince quality sound for music for right now and I thought these speakers would give me that is there a reason you would want me to upgrade them to better ones, because I thought they are a steal for $129 each! and they are refrence quality are they not?

Let's get something straight. I don't want you to do anything! You came here asking for input, so I gave it to you.

Those are great speakers for that price, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they are not. But can we agree that there are better speakers out there?

Those are not the last speakers you will buy, I guarantee it! It is a fine place to start, but you keep talking about listening to music, loud and with little distortion and I think after some time, you will want to upgrade to Better speakers. So my point is, get the best speakers you can afford. If that means going without a sub, while you save up for one, I would recommend it. You will actually get better bang for your buck with some bookshelf speakers and add a sub later.

What is your total speaker budget?

As someone else mentioned, check your local craigslist for used speakers. $250 can go a long way in the used market. Check the Garage sale section here also. You might find a nice set of fortes for a good price and those might be the last speakers you ever have to buy.

Dennie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I want is to experince quality sound for music for right now and I thought these speakers would give me that is there a reason you would want me to upgrade them to better ones, because I thought they are a steal for $129 each! and they are refrence quality are they not?

Let's get something straight. I don't want you to do anything! You came here asking for input, so I gave it to you.

Those are great speakers for that price, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they are not. But can we agree that there are better speakers out there?

Those are not the last speakers you will buy, I guarantee it! It is a fine place to start, but you keep talking about listening to music, loud and with little distortion and I think after some time, you will want to upgrade to Better speakers. So my point is, get the best speakers you can afford. If that means going without a sub, while you save up for one, I would recommend it. You will actually get better bang for your buck with some bookshelf speakers and add a sub later.

As someone else mentioned, check your local craigslist for used speakers. $250 can go a long way in the used market. Check the Garage sale section here also. You might find a nice set of fortes for a good price and those might be the last speakers you ever have to buy.

Dennie

Well put Dennie!

Dennie

Well put Dennie!

Thanks, I saw a new thread in the HT section. Hopefully he can get a good deal on some used Klipsch speakers and be happy for a long time.

Dennie

thanks alot Dennie for the input! sorry If it sounded like I was asking you what I should do. I am just new to the audio universe (heck Im only 17!) and thought this website would be good for advice from people like you with experince with Klipsch speakers. My budget is only $600-700 and I think I can get an affordable but "well-worth the money" 2.1 system for music. I am also not looking for something exceptional but I am expecting something better than high end computer, stereo speakers.

thanks alot Dennie for the input! sorry If it sounded like I was asking you what I should do. I am just new to the audio universe (heck Im only 17!) and thought this website would be good for advice from people like you with experince with Klipsch speakers. My budget is only $600-700 and I thought I can get an affordable but well-worth the money system.

No problem Zaskark, it is almost like asking what Ice Cream should I buy? Everyone has different tastes and there are so many choices, we can't tell you which Ice Cream to buy, but we can help you find which one might fill your needs best, at a certain price point.

You can get a great system for that price, but you will get the best bang for your buck if you take it in stages. Hold off on the sub right now and get the best main speakers you can afford. That will make you happiest in the long run.

Lets see what the HT folks say and you check your local craigslist. Someone else spent a lot of money on speakers and now need to sell them. You can really benefit from that. [Y]

We believe there are not stupid questions, so ask away, but remember, we are enthusiast and this is our hobby. We don't get paid here, but we get great feelings of accomplishment when someone comes here not knowing a thing or very little and we watch them build a great system for themselves.

We're glad you're here and we're here for you,

Dennie

thanks alot Dennie for the input! sorry If it sounded like I was asking you what I should do. I am just new to the audio universe (heck Im only 17!) and thought this website would be good for advice from people like you with experince with Klipsch speakers. My budget is only $600-700 and I think I can get an affordable but "well-worth the money" 2.1 system for music. I am also not looking for something exceptional but I am expecting something better than high end computer, stereo speakers.

Nice to see young blood around here. Im younger than most here too (30) A good pair of speakers can last you your whole life. If you're stoked about those RF10s then buy them. We are all just trying to look out for you in the long run.

Nice to see young blood around here. Im younger than most here too (30) A good pair of speakers can last you your whole life. If you're stoked about those RF10s then buy them. We are all just trying to look out for you in the long run.

Well....... don't we get a commision on the sale??? That's why I'm trying to get him to UPGRADE!!! [:P] LOL

It's all about the Music!

Dennie

Welcome!

Go ahead and jump in. Read whatever advice you get and do what you want...seriously!

You won't upset anyone here, we've all started somewhere and most still are tinkering with their setup. I know I have been for over 35 years. I was in high school when i bought my first "system". It sucked but that's not the point. I used it, enjoyed a lot of music on it, and learned a lot from it.

Don't worry about making a big mistake. You'll be upgrading no matter what you buy, you'll probably be upgrading all your life!

Good luck and have fun!

Welcome!

Go ahead and jump in. Read whatever advice you get and do what you want...seriously!

You won't upset anyone here, we've all started somewhere and most still are tinkering with their setup. I know I have been for over 35 years. I was in high school when i bought my first "system". It sucked but that's not the point. I used it, enjoyed a lot of music on it, and learned a lot from it.

Don't worry about making a big mistake. You'll be upgrading no matter what you buy, you'll probably be upgrading all your life!

Good luck and have fun!

Hey Gnat, that is my point. He's buying his first system. If done properly, it won't suck. [<:o)]

I spent $600 each for my HT speakers, KEF Q-7's. They are beautiful, they sound great, they are very musical and most importantly, they were with in my budget. A couple years later, I am checking out Craigslist and see a pair of 1979 La Scalas, original owner, consecutive serial numbers and in very good condition for $1100. I bought them the next morning and I added new crossovers (took about 15 minutes) for $300 shipped. So, I have a total investment of $1400 and the KEF Q-7's are pulling closet duty now. They aren't even in the same league as the La Scalas.

I know Zaskark isn't looking to spend that kind of money (Yet), but if done right, he can put together a really nice system on his budget.

Heck, give any one of us $600 - $700 and I bet we can throw together a Sweet 2 channel system, using an HT Receiver. [:P] He can expand from there, as his savings adds up.

Or! He can buy the speakers he's asking about and the sub and (probably) wish it sounded better. Don't get me wrong, those are fine entry level speakers, but he's asking about Loud and Distortion free and I'm not sure that is what he's going to get with what he's asking about.

I totally agree with "Get what you want", he's the only one who needs to be happy with it and if it sounds good, it is good! [Y]

My point is, the majority of the money should be spent on the front two speakers. Get the best front two speakers you can and you can build your HT from there and in my humble opinion you'll be happier for longer!

Dennie

Thanks for the responses (extra thanks to Dennie for giving me quick responses!Big Smile). I was actually debating with myself on the kilpsch ksw10 or the sony 12" sub could you guys explain why the kilpsch sub would be better because the sony one is bigger, got very good reviews on amazon, and is cheaper than the Klipsch. That is why I was considering the Sony sub. Also would a yamaha or pioneer reciever suit Klipsch speakers best. thanks for all your responses

Just becasue it is "bigger" does not necessarily make it "better". My REL Storm III sub is only a "10-inch" sub, but it would completely annihilate the Sony in terms of sound quality and output. But than again, the REL Storm III is a $2,200 sub as well, soo.....

Anyway, I have to agree with the general consensous here in that for now, I'd forget the sub and put the extra money towards some better speakers. If you absolutly must go new, than for what you could get for around the $300 or so, you may be able to score yourself something like the RB-51 bookshelf speakers. An excellent sounding speaker in my opinion. If you can go used, you may be able to score yourself something like a pair of Heresy's, which will probably blow away the RF-10s that you were looking at earlier. Not only that, you can always add a sub later, and if you also want to eventually get full-size towers, you could move those bookshelfs to surround duty in an HT rig later on as well.

You are only 17, so you got plenty of time and opputunity to fill out and upgrade your rig in the future. Not only that, you will probably want to take this off to college or the military or whatever you plan to do once you graduate HS. Thus, it may be a good idea to get a smaller, but excellent sounding rig for now that can also be easily packed up and moved when it become necessary.

As for the recievers, your choices are good as starter/entry level models. Again, you probably could find some pretty nice units on the second-hand market as well, if you want to go that route. Of course, the only downside for something like that on the second-hand market is if you get a dud unit, you are pretty much SOL, thus it is best to try to shop it out locally, so you can review and listen to the unit before you buy it, plus don't have to worry about shipping damage if you can pick it up yourself.

Welcome!

Good luck and have fun!

Hey Gnat, that is my point. He's buying his first system. If done properly, it won't suck. Party!!!

I spent $600 each for my HT speakers, KEF Q-7's. They are beautiful, they sound great, they are very musical and most importantly, they were with in my budget. A couple years later, I am checking out Craigslist and see a pair of 1979 La Scalas, original owner, consecutive serial numbers and in very good condition for $1100. I bought them the next morning and I added new crossovers (took about 15 minutes) for $300 shipped. So, I have a total investment of $1400 and the KEF Q-7's are pulling closet duty now. They aren't even in the same league as the La Scalas.

I know Zaskark isn't looking to spend that kind of money (Yet), but if done right, he can put together a really nice system on his budget.

Heck, give any one of us $600 - $700 and I bet we can throw together a Sweet 2 channel system, using an HT Receiver. Stick out tongue He can expand from there, as his savings adds up.

Or! He can buy the speakers he's asking about and the sub and (probably) wish it sounded better. Don't get me wrong, those are fine entry level speakers, but he's asking about Loud and Distortion free and I'm not sure that is what he's going to get with what he's asking about.

I totally agree with "Get what you want", he's the only one who needs to be happy with it and if it sounds good, it is good! Yes

My point is, the majority of the money should be spent on the front two speakers. Get the best front two speakers you can and you can build your HT from there and in my humble opinion you'll be happier for longer!

Dennie

very sage advice my friend.

i think i spent less than $200 total for my first "system"...ok, it wasn't a system, it played sound, not music, lol. wish i would have had access to people with more experience at that time, but, still, you gotta jump in and start somewhere..

didn't have the klipsch forum back in the early 70's

I used to have a BOSE (Bad Overall Sound Equipment) 321 GS htib and was not impressed with the sound for $1000 so I sold it and decided to start a new home theater. Will the RF-10s be significantly better than the Bose system or other htib systems?

After all of my years in this hobby and researching to build my system, this is what I would do if I were in your shoes:

Clearly you are interested in the RF-10s, buy them! Look for a used AV receiver on Craigslist and check in with us before you buy it to make sure that it is a good deal, and audition it first. You may even be able to take your rf-10s to the sellers house to listen to it before you buy. Then look for a decent sub, new or used. When you have saved enough to complete your HT, look for the best used fronts that you can afford and get a center that is timbre matched for the fronts. Then you can move the rf-10s to the rear for surround duty. Very simple...

I have check craigslist and the options are ver limited here in tampa fl could not find a good deal but that is why I use Amazon.com- Reliable, Free Shipping, No tax, and they have great discounts and savings on their products!

What do you think of this reciever I found

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XQKXQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have check craigslist and the options are ver limited here in tampa fl could not find a good deal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XQKXQ/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER'>

On CL, the good deals appear randomly and are usually gone quickly. You can not check once and say "Eh.... nothing here". There could be ten new postings this afternoon, and that good deal will often come and go in a few hours. Again... PATIENCE. And that means being patient for a week or two, or MORE!

The receiver seems like a pretty decent deal. I do not like that it weighs only 20 pounds....

I would say it is probably a decent entry level receiver............. Without seeing it and listening; etc, I can not say "OH YEAH!!! Thats a great receiver for that price".

Weeks! I want to listen to my Music NOW!!!!..............................sorry for yelling

The Gear you picked out will be fine for an entry level system. BUY IT. [Y]

Although I would get the Klipsch Sub over the Sony sub. but that's just me.

Let us know when it comes in and how you like it.

Dennie