Best surrounds and subwoofer to complete a HT system with RC-64 and RF-82

elementfbl114

I just ordered a rc-64 and two rf-82s and am now looking at the best surrounds and subwoofer to complete my setup whenever i get some money. Since this community practially sold me on klipsch speakers when I started looking last week, I was just curious what you guys think would be best. The thing that sucks there is no way to audition any klipsch speakers besides the cheapest icons and the klipsch home theater in a box setup... I looked for hours for a place near me that sold klipch reference line and found none. BB was the only place that had any klipsch but did a terrible job setting it up... So i hope I like the RC-64 and RF-82s!

Anyway, what do you guys think of tower speakers for surrounds? I found some cheap rf 25s, but haven't jumped on them yet because im not sure if it would be better to get like a rs-52s and rb-52s.

I currently have a 7.1, with onkyo speakers for surrounds. I just bought a Onkyo rc-260 which improved the sound of my current speakers tremendously.

Also what do you guys think of a 7.2 vs 7.1?

Thanks

• Moderators

Congrats on your first Klipsch purchase! I can honestly say that the RC-64 is the best center channel I've heard and the RF-82's are very capable speakers.

My thoughts on 7.1 systems is that a properly setup 5.1 will sound better than an improperly setup 7.1. More speakers doesn't always mean better sound. Same goes from adding a second sub. Sometimes, two subs can cancel each other out in certain parts of the room (nulls).

I have the RS-52's with my RF-83's and RC-64 and love them. They are mounted a few feet above my ears on the side walls, slightly behind the front row seats.

As far as subs, definitely look around the used market (Craigslist etc). I picked up my Velodyne HGS15 (15" with 1250 watt amp) in piano black finish for $200 in March of 2009. The deals are out there, you just gotta be quick and constantly looking.

I don't mean at all to be a thread-stealer, but is there enough "7.1 stuff" out there to be gung-ho about setting up a 7.1 HT? I don't know if I've ever even seen a DVD that had "7.1 Surround Sound" on it; but I admit, I haven't been around much.

Marantz SR 5004

Klipshorn x 2 walnut for fronts

Klipsch RC-64 cherry center

Klipsch KG-1's x 2 for surrounds

Klipsch RW 12 D black ash subwoofer

Samsung 1600 Blu-Ray

Samsung DVD-VR 325 recorder

Dish 222 Dual Sat. Receiver

Onyko DX-C200 5 disc CD player

Sharp 42 HDTV

Hey thanks guys for all of your input. I ran across 2 rs-3s for 100 dollars and they look to be in mint condition. Would those be good for back surrounds and get rs 42/52 for the surrounds? Sorry for all the questions! Ive never spent so much money and time on something Ive never got the chance to hear!

And about 7.1. I agree, my sister has a 7.1 which I sat up perfectly (but with a mix of vega, bose, and another no name speaker [:(] ) and she moved everything around to make it look better... well now the surround backs are in front of the surrounds and the front is just horrible... The center speaker is placed really well though [:D] But I can tell a difference from 5.1 to 7.1 with my current setup (without klipsch). And i watch blurays which sound amazing with dts hd master audio and dolby true hd (have a few that actually outputs in 7.1 with dts hd MA). But most of the time I have my ps3 send it as pcm to the reciever and then run PLIIx and it sounds pretty good. Not a hundred percent sure on the whole 2 sub thing. Im looking into getting a 15 inch sub to get really good lows after I get some money and finish the surrounds...

But if anyone can tell me what they think of using the rs-3s for back surrounds, or if they would be a good match, please let me know! Hopefully once I get the rest of my setup ill start answers some questions instead of asking them...

Not sure what your budget for all this is - I'm in love with my Seaton Submersive and I don't think I've seen any owner being unhappy with it. I believe some sub manufacturer has a sweet do-it-yourself sub kit thats quite a bit more affordable that everyone was raving about a while ago as well (Danley Labs???).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in the same boat. I just got Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR and I will be getting the new RF-7 II and RC-64 II. I am undecided about the srounds. Should I go with RS-62 II or RB-81 II (assuming I have the budget to get either ones). I will be getting 4 srrounds. 2 will be placed on the sides and 2 will be placed at the back of the listening area.

I forgot where but I read that srrounds are mostly being played at high frequencies which are more directional. That made me concern since the RB-81 II (Bookshelve) design can be directed more easilt towards the listening area than the RS-62 II which is already angled at 45 degrees away from the listening area.

Which surrounds are recommended usually? Also recollecting from my memory most srrounds in cinema halls are directional like the RB style. I do not understand why the RS style will be preferred over RB style surround? Can someone shed some light please?

Thanks.

-Amit

I don't mean at all to be a thread-stealer, but is there enough "7.1 stuff" out there to be gung-ho about setting up a 7.1 HT? I don't know if I've ever even seen a DVD that had "7.1 Surround Sound" on it; but I admit, I haven't been around much...

Fwiw, I prefer 5.1 material being converted to 7.1 using direct radiating speakers because the matrixing function on my AVR allows me to have sound coming from different directions (or flowing in any direction) instead of being sent away from me from the SS location...For Multichannel music, using only the matrix function on my denon, it makes an awesome effect where anything in the SS encoded in "stereo" is sent to the back speakers, whereas the "mono material goes either to the left or right SS. [H]

I also use the WDST speakers in 5.1 configuration in my other HTs and agree they work best when you have limited options to place speakers.