Center channel above or below the TV???

Tim Currie

TV is a 61" DLP projection so no wall mounting or those stands that have a built in mount.

Center channel is a smaller (forget model, has 5.25 woofers I think) one. I am thinking I should really get the KLF-C7 though to match the KLF-20's....but hey the current one I snagged on CL for $60.

So if I get the KLF C7 (which is frickin GIANT), where the hell do I put it?

Right now I have a crappy tv stand and the center speaker is offset to the left, dividing piece of the shelf in middle, and receiver on the right. It bugs me. I really wanna build a nice stand that can hold the speaker properly AND be the right size (low enough so the TV isn't too high off ground and big enough to hold the speaker and components - a mystery).

I've seen in the "show your home theater" thread a lot of people put the speaker above and behind (?) the TV. This would seem tricky with a speaker the size of the KLF C7, would have to be some wacky custom stand?

What should I do? Find a way to put it above the TV? Or build a custom TV stand that somehow has room for the speaker centered under the TV and the rest of the components (not a lot BTW, receiver, dish network, and xbox)?

Thanks!

From the description (as in weight.....), I'd look at making a simple stand to accomodate the center with the tv above it. I'd be leery about "hanging" anything that large off the ceiling or the walls. You could easily make a good sturdy stand from about 3 x 12' stud pieces and a sheet of 3/4" oak or birch plywood, and stain and poly to make it look nice. Estimate the cost at about $100. Add some nice trim on the edges.

Just a thought.

I used to have a KLF-C7, and had it directly below the screen...even blocking the black frame and samsung logo on the TV. I liked it there, it sounded like it was coming from the TV. My problem was finding a stand that would fit it in the shelves. I ended up getting a "Bello" stand that mounts the tv, so the top of the top shelf is open above (no top to the cabinet). It worked well for me.

Alas, now I have sold my center as I wait to find a Belle, Scala, or Cornwall to replace it, in which case the TV will sit ON the center speaker, so the speaker would still be below.

I used to have a KLF-C7, and had it directly below the screen...even blocking the black frame and samsung logo on the TV. I liked it there, it sounded like it was coming from the TV. My problem was finding a stand that would fit it in the shelves. I ended up getting a "Bello" stand that mounts the tv, so the top of the top shelf is open above (no top to the cabinet). It worked well for me.

Alas, now I have sold my center as I wait to find a Belle, Scala, or Cornwall to replace it, in which case the TV will sit ON the center speaker, so the speaker would still be below.

Right, that would work great if I had an LCD or Plasma that you can mount. But its a huge 61" dlp.......

I think if you can to try and build a shelf over the tv. Make it a wedge like piece so you can tilt the speaker down to your listening position, along with a piece of 1x to act as a lip to catch the speaker. With wall anchors, into the wall stud, it will be able to support the 38 lbs of the KLF C7.

If you are really tired of the current TV stand then go with a new one. The biggest problem you are going to find is shelf space that can accommodate the center speakers height. That was my biggest problem with the RC-64. Unless you go with a custom built one, then it will be exactly what you need.

Now some have said that it should be above the tv and a lot have it under. I have always had it under the tv, since that is the only location I can put it. If you have the resources, try it above then try it below and see which you like best. It rig it up below see if you can set it on a box or something for a few days to get it into the right position and listening to it in that same position for a few days.

James

Good thoughts James thanks. I dont actually have the ginormous KLF-C7 yet, just the puny one that is filling in for now. The TV stand I have is crap and ugly and cheap, basically rigged up for now. So I definitely want to replace it. I think I probably will go the custom built route since the TV is huge and not that far from the couch so it just cant be more than a little over 20" off the floor or it will be way too high. So thats the problem, with a center channel that is, I think, 11" high just by itself. So I gotta come up with something that will fit that center plus the other components and be not much higher than 20" from the floor!

I use a KLF-C7 above my TV. My circumstance is a bit different, but I will share it simply for your evaluation and potential application.

1. I actually have a TV. Meaning not a flat panel. It is a HUGE/HEAVY Sony WEGA 32" inside a cabinet.

2. The C7 sits on top of the TV wedged between the TV and a shelf holding CD/DVD's

3. The C7 is above listening height - however it does not seem to affect the sound quality for me.

4. I think the optimum position would be under the TV - nearer shoulder level.

5. If I had a flat panel monitor for TV viewing, I would set the Monitor on top of the C7 - either directly resting on the cabinet or on a support I crafted to use for that purpose.

I think a stand like I have from wood technology would work great for you angling it up towards the seating positions and would work great for even a smaller center getting the most out of it. DSC01615.jpgDSC01618.jpg

HIJACK!!!!!!

That center is bad ***.

Please excuse my French and for going off topic.

Back to the thread....

I think a stand like this would work perfectly for a KLF C7.

Good Luck.