forte II Replaced Stock Crossovers with Bob Crites Custom Built Crossovers

John Chi-town

Yeah, the percentage change thing is probably something to stay away from. Better to say most of the possible change is from the caps and another small improvement from changing all the rest of the stuff.

But, everyone wants to quantify that, so how about this.

Let's start changing parts in a hypothetical non-heritage crossover that is about 20 years old. I think even I might hear the difference on this old crossover with the lossy caps when changing them one at a time. Let's just say there are 4 caps and each one made a change in the sound and each change was about the smallest you could hear. That is 4 changes. Can we get one more change in the sound from changing all the other stuff on the crossover to new and better stuff? Inductors, Autotransformers, Resistors.

If we get one more change, that is five changes. 4 changes (80 percent) from changing the caps and one more change (20 percent) for all the rest of the stuff.

Bob,

This is an intereting read. I understand the difficulty of trying to quantify the improvement and appreciate the effort to do so. I notice you distinguish this as a non-heritage hypothesis. Obviously the original post is regardings Fortes but the implication is that the hypothesis would differ with a heritage crossover. Would you please venture a heritage hypothesis as well?

Many thanks,

Mike

The heritage, non-heritage difference would be that the non-heritage crossover had an additonal limit of the size and weight of components that could be mounted on a small circuit board attached to the back of the input terminal cup. That limit would not have been in play with the heritage crossovers that were built on a relatively large wooden board.

Bob

That limit would not have been in play with the heritage crossovers that were built on a relatively large wooden board.

And said board created a quantifiable audible difference in the 22khz + range. [;)]

sorry, couldn't resist. [6]

BTW, Mr. Crites, I will be calling you next week about sending my Forte I crossovers to you for a redo along with getting three titanium tweeters (one for a KLF-C7). Also, with what I am doing, is it advisable to redo the crossover in the C7 as it is not as old as the original Fortes'? How good were the components in those when new? The reason I ask is that you have stated many times that the components in the Forte crossovers were somewhat sub-par to begin with.

Thanks in advance,

Austin