Help me choose a center speaker

JCole

Hello,

I'm buying some klipsch F2's, the 12"'sub, and the s2 surrounds. I can't figure out which center speaker to buy.

The room is a smaller living room, maybe 12' x 24" with a carpet floor. I was going to use the pioneer vsx820k receiver. It's 100watts rms per channel. Which should match the f2 and s2's.

Seems like I should get the c2 center, however lots of people say they don't have enough presence vs the f2's. I'm not an audiophile by any means. I can't tell a difference in sound between the f2 and the reference series.

So should I look for a c3 on eBay ? Or just get the c2 ? The c3 wants 125watts or power. Will it sound too quiet with my amp ? The amp has that mic you stick in the room and it auto adjusts the levels. Will that take care of the non matched center channel ?

I agree with everything stated above. Just wanted to add that the C3 doesn't 'need' 125 watts of power, its that it can handle higher wattage inputs than the C2 or C1. The C3 will actually play louder than either the C2 or C1 given the same amount of watts you put into it since it has a higher sensitivity rating.

I have the C3 currently. I ran it with F2's for a couple months before I upgraded to the F3's. I also had the C2 with the F2's. I personally think the C3 is a better match for the F2's than the C2. I think most people would agree that the perfect center channel is the same exact speaker you are using for your front mains. However most people don't have room for a big floor stander under their TV. The C3 has the same size driver and woofers as the F2's. Only size and the lack of a port make it different. I beleive this is the best match for the F2's. That Vann's deal is a great deal as well.

Keep in mind that I am no audiphile. I love the synergy's and for the money I just don't think you can get better speaker's.

• 2 weeks later...

Okaaay, I'm going to ask this question differently now...

If I can get the C2 for dirt cheap, should I still go for the C3 ? I can get the C2 for $150 in the box, after tax, and the C3 after tax and shipping is going to run me over $300.

So my question is, if paying double for something slightly better isn't sitting well with me, if I go for the cheaper option, will I be dissapointed with the C2 ? Obviously the C3 will be better, but if everything is set up well, am I going to regret the C2 ? I've decided to go with the VSX-920-k receiver, so it'll have 110watts powering it. That gives me a bit of wiggle room to turn down the front 2 speakers slightly.

Thoughts ?

So my question is, if paying double for something slightly better isn't sitting well with me, if I go for the cheaper option, will I be dissapointed with the C2 ?

Deals like the one on Vanns.com don't last forever. You have to have a quick trigger when they come up.

To answer your question, the C2 is no slouch and for $150.00 you can't go wrong. While the C3 is better(larger cabinet, drivers), I doubt it is twice as good. If the C2 fits your budget better, get it. JMO.

Bill