dynaco 101

msutton

im in the market for some vintage tube gear and after seeing the dynaco name pop up many times thought i would do more research into their amps/preamps. from what i have seen online, dynaco products appear to be pretty basic inside and to the point. prices seem to be from very very cheap to quite reasonable. so some of the questions i have are, what are some of the better or more desirable amps and preamp models made by dynaco that would work well with khorns? also what level of service is required when you purchase a vintage amp such as a dynaco. i ask because i know so many send their vintage mac gear to terry dewick and rave about the improvements his service makes to vintage equiptment. i also fear being vintage, if out of spec there will be alot of noise transmitted through the khorns because of there sensitivity. and last, how does dynaco gear sound vs say solid state equiptment or for that matter other tube amps out there? thanks for your input

I don't have KHorns but I do use some Dynaco gear with my Forte IIs & really like the combo.

I bought a ST-70 amp & PAS-3 preamp in great physical shape for $500. The seller threw in a woking FM-3, too! The original EL34 & 12AX7 tubes had been replaced with generic chinese varieties but all other tubes appeared to be original. I had the ST-70 & PAS-3 refurbished & replaced the 12AX7s with NOS Mullards and the EL 34s with JJ E34Ls. This set me back an additional $600. Now I have a ST-70/PAS-3 combo that looks vintage/new & sounds great!

I have heard that combo will drive a pair of KHorns quite well. Someday I might find out myself! ;-)

Frank W.

I bought a ST-70 amp & PAS-3 preamp in great physical shape for $500. The seller threw in a woking FM-3, too! The original EL34 & 12AX7 tubes had been replaced with generic chinese varieties but all other tubes appeared to be original. I had the ST-70 & PAS-3 refurbished & replaced the 12AX7s with NOS Mullards and the EL 34s with JJ E34Ls.

The ST-70 didn't use 12AX7 tubes. If yours does, it has a 3rd party upgradeboard installed. The ST-70 used a 7199 and there is no replacement without a lot of changes.

I bought a ST-70 amp & PAS-3 preamp in great physical shape for $500. The seller threw in a woking FM-3, too! The original EL34 & 12AX7 tubes had been replaced with generic chinese varieties but all other tubes appeared to be original. I had the ST-70 & PAS-3 refurbished & replaced the 12AX7s with NOS Mullards and the EL 34s with JJ E34Ls.

The ST-70 didn't use 12AX7 tubes. If yours does, it has a 3rd party upgradeboard installed. The ST-70 used a 7199 and there is no replacement without a lot of changes.

That's true but the PAS-3 does use a quad of 12AX7 tubes. The quad of power tubes in the ST-70 are the EL 34s.

Frank W.

PS - WooHoo! 100 Posts!