Amplifier power with new rf7's and in general

schutz2106

Finally tonight if I find time to sit down on the phone I am ordering the new RF7 fronts, RC64 center, along with RC62 surrounds. I have a Onkyo 805 receiver right now. Think it is 130 per channel which I realize is only 2 channels running. Wondering what I need to power these. Looking at Emotiva xpa5 which is 200 x 5 all channels driven. I've seen a couple people on here that are running a 64 center off a receiver, but will that actually power a sealed center? And I see the surrounds call for 150 w. Am I going overboard on a 5 channel amp and I could get a 3 channel and run the rears off my receiver? But I want this to be my last darn purchase ( wife really agrees with that!) and do it right and be done.

Thanks

Congrats (if you find the time) on your purchase!

Don't worry about the RC-64 being sealed. It can be powered the same as a ported center channel.

That Onkyo 805 is a very capable receiver. Use the Onkyo alone first and see how you like it before going into power amps.

If you do end up wanting more wattage, I can't speak for the new RF-7 IIs but the originals do like lots of power. More channels in an amp = more options in how to power your setup. I've read posts here where an XPA-3 was purchased, then they wanted more channels. Depends on what you want. If you are one to change around your setup often I'd suggest getting a 5 channel. BUT, It's totally a fine path to get a 3 channel power amp then use your Onkyo for powering the surrounds. The Onkyo will perform very well driving just a pair.

Be sure and post pictures of your new gear in the Home Theater section, and tell us what you think.

I have the orginal RF-7s, RC-7 and RF-5s for surrounds and the xpa-5 driving them, it really is a remarkable setup. As others have said, try the receiver first, then if you want more power, get an amp. I had a two channel amp before the Emo, and it just didn't balance out properly, therefore I upgraded to the 5 channel. My suggestion would be, if you upgrade to a seperate amp, get the 5 channel first and be done with it.

... Probably just get the xpa5 and be done that way I will hope the upgrade bug never comes my way again..

Dude! [:o] You are the remedy for the "upgrade bug" and it really would be prudent to try your Onkyo and see if you even need an external amp. You may find that money could be better spent. I can dig feeling like a kid at Christmas but remember who santa claus really is. [;)]

• 2 weeks later...