Amp channel with no load harmful?

USNRET

I am thinking that back years ago I heard that operating an amp (receiver, etc) without a speaker connected is a No No. Is this true?

I have a couple of Emo amps that I am using and I change out speaker configurations every now and then. For instance is it OK to have a 3 channel power amp only powering two speakers (no defeat switch available to 'turn off the third channel)?

Perhaps it's just that back in my day there were a lot of tube / hybrid stuff around. I do remember being told not to power up my VRD amp without a load.

Just checking with you boys first before making a tech call in to Emo.

From Lonnie the head designer at Emotiva. It is perfectly fine to not use all the amp channels under normal use. So if you have an XPA-5 and only 4 of the 5 are connected it will be fine with normal usage.

What can cause problems is if you intentionally were to use a multi- channel amp with less channels to try to get extra maximum wattage. In other words if you had say an XPA-5 and only connect 1 channel and constantly play it at max volumes so that it peaks out that 1 channel beyond what it was intended for. So you wouldn't want to buy two XPA-5's to use for 2 channel stereo just to try to take advantage of the extra watts using only 1 of the 5 channels would give you as it could damage the amp(s). What would damage the amp is trying to get that extra maxed out wattage.

However under normal usage having only 4 channels connected would be fine as well as the normal occasional 2 channel stereo use.

So just don't buy a five channel 200 wpc amp just to use it to try and get 300 wpc because you use less channels connected, this type of abuse will damage the amp.

Thanks ALL! So far I have the XPA-5 and -3 amps and received the Onkyo PR-SC5507P today (THREE DAYS EARLIER THAN PROMISED, I have great things to say about this on-line retailer so far [:D] [:D]). Got the pre-pro out of its box and spent some time reading the manual, a little bewildering but not as bad as the Denon AVR manual. I remain confused [:$] about the two Dynamic Volumes in concert with Audyssey MultiXt .

I have the -5 powering my 5.1 speakers from the AVR at this moment and after I return from my 'sure to be enlightening' experience at political correctness / touchy-feelly training in DC I will install the pre-pro. The -3 is hiding out from the snooping family CFO. I am hoping the Denon AVR and the Onkyo pre-pro look enough alike that it won't be noticed...if I can get my 9 y.o. son from opening his mouth [:#].

I am keeping my eyes open for a deal on some RB-? that can be used as Front Highs on top of the RF-83s. I have placed a for sale sign on the board at work for the 4306 and have a couple of hits (AVR used only on Sunday to listen to Gospel music).

I am dying to put the Onkyo in the rack tonight but I can't run the setup with everyone in bed nor leave a partially configured main system that the Harmony is not dialed in for a week while I am gone as she and they would be [8o|] [8o|]