Which Tiny Speaker System: Energy Micro or Mirage MX?

substance-p

I am not sure if this is the best subforum for this question (ths system will not be for home theater but rather for the family room).

We are replacing an 40 inch 4:3 HD TV that currently had a Polk Surroundbar sitting on top of it with a PSW-111 sub with an up to date smaller TV (still 40 inches, but only an inch and a half deep instead of 28 inches [:D]).

Anyway, we are going with a small stand and I have decided to sell the surroundbar to a buddy who can't swing a new system right now and have received the go ahead to buy a small 3.1 setup (but it has to fit in the shelf on the new TV stand...accept for the sub obviously).

So I have it narrowed down to the Energy Micro system

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_732RCMIC/Energy-RC-Micro-5-1.html?tp=184

and the Mirage MX 5.1

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/501154958/mirage-mx-5-1?s_c=site_search

I see the sub as being better with the MX setup but I am not sure how the omnipolar will sound in a shelf and I don't know about the look of the three of them in close proximity to one another...plus it is more $ than the Energy (but Vann's is throwing in a new receiver with the MXs that I can sell to my buddy real cheap)

I prefer the aesthetic of the Energy micro (having a center channel that looks shorter and longer relative to the L and R speaker) and I prefer the price to the Mirage.

Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these systems or suggestions for one over the other?

Thanks for the suggestion dtel.

It is based in part on my great experience with Klipsch products over the years that I am looking at these two systems and because of Klipsch's ownership of them that I am posting here...hoping that some other klipsch fans have tried these out at some point.

I contacted an acquaintance who works for Klipsch and he indicated that he liked the sound of the Enegry line but that the sub included with the MX bundle was fantastic. It is not cost effective to piece together the Mirage sub with the the Energy RC-Micro speakers due tot he cost break associated with the bundles.

Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these systems or suggestions for one over the other?

No personal experience with either setup and I am also not trying to confuse you anymore, but here is an awesome setup(in silver though) that will probably smoke the doors off of the Energy or the Mirage(IMO).

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/1940890658.html (no affiliation with this ad)

You could keep all or sell the pieces not used. I have this setup(except RW-10d) in my bedroom now but was my main system in my family room before the RF-63's. Great detail and surprising dynamics for a smallish setup. The RSX-5's and one RVX-42 plus sub would be a great suggestion for 3.1. Any of the combinations will work great.

Bill

Thanks for the link-I will have to see if I can track down the sizes on each speaker to see if it would work

No need, here they are.

RSX-4

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 92Hz-20kHz (+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 50 w continuous (200 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 90dB @ 2.83V / 1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 2300 Hz
TWEETER One 1" (2.54cm) titanium dome compression driver
WOOFER One 4" (10.16cm) Cerametallic® cone
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL ABS, cast aluminum baffle and base
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via rear-firing port
INPUT CONNECTIONS One set of binding post speaker terminals
DIMENSIONS 10.25" (26cm) x 5.5" (14cm) x 7.5" (19.1cm)
MOUNTING Base swivels 360(o) for on-wall mounting via keyholes
WEIGHT 4.5 lbs. (2kg)
FINISHES Black
BUILT FROM 2003
BUILT UNTIL

RSX-5

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 92Hz-20kHz (+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 75 w continuous (300 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 93dB @ 2.83V / 1 meter
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 2000 Hz
TWEETER One 1" (2.54cm) titanium dome compression driver
WOOFER One 5.25" (13.34cm) Cerametallic® cone
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL ABS, cast aluminum baffle and base
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via rear-firing port
DIMENSIONS 12.5" (31.8cm) x 6.5" (16.5cm) x 9" (22.9cm)
MOUNTING Base swivels 360(o) for on-wall mounting via keyholes
WEIGHT 7 lbs. (2.7kg)
FINISHES Black
BUILT FROM 2003
BUILT UNTIL 2009

RVX-42

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 92-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 75 w max continuous (300 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 94dB @ 2.83 volts / 1m
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 2175Hz
TWEETER 1" (2.5cm) Titanium dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN Integral round 90(o) Tractrix® Horn
WOOFER Two 4" (10.2cm) Cerametallic cone, magnetically shielded
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Extruded aluminum, ABS baffle
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via dual side-firing ports
DIMENSIONS 24" (61cm) H x 5.75" (14.6cm) W x 4.5" (11.4cm) D (vertical without pedestal base)
MOUNTING Pedestal base for horizontal or vertical use / three keyholes / two 3/8"-16 threaded inserts
WEIGHT 14 lbs. (6.4kg)
FEATURES Bass compensation switch for on-wall / off-wall placement
FINISHES Black
BUILT FROM 2004
BUILT UNTIL

Bill

• Moderators

Years ago I wanted the Take 5 system and the dealer told me if he ordered them I would have to buy them if I listen to them or not. I moved on and ended up finding Klipsch.

The reviews at the time were great for the Take 5 system.

i would suggest the Energy Take 5.1 Classic. never heard them personally, but they seemed to recevied very good reviews

you can get them from newegg.com for $400 shipped, PLUS you also get a $100 newegg giftcard. great if you also want to purchase an AVR (Yammie Rxv-765?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16882269024&cm_re=take_classic-_-82-269-024-_-Product

energy speakers sound very clean and clear to me. The only thing i find they lack is bass reproduction but thats in comparison to klipsch. I listened to comparable towers and that was the only thing missing. Best way i can explain it is they sounded similar to the Icon W series, great sound, not much punch. Couple them with a sub and you shouldnt have a problem! Energy is a well made canadian speaker, if i didnt like klipsch so much i would probably buy them. Aesthetically, i cant standed the look of the ribs they put on the surrounds of the speaker, i think they look ugly, but they still sound good!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am looking into getting a wider TV stand that will safely accommodate smal book shelf speakers next to the TV. I tried to get the okay for small floor standing (similar to the W-34s) but my Wife would really prefer something on the stand itself.

I am really interested in hearing the Mirage speaekrs (from what I hear you either like the omni-polar sound or you don't).

So we setup the new TV and stand. With the way we have to turn the TV on the stand for maximum viewing angle, there isn't much space at all for speakers. I went to Best Buy Magnolia and listened to the Mirage MX system (these things are TINY). The speakers sounded great considering the size and I was really impressed with the 800 watt 6 inch MM-6 sub (small enough for my Wife to approve of but still packing a serious punch).

I ordered a set online for less than best price I could find for a new MM-6. I figure if the MXs don't cut it, I still have the MM-6 at a good price.

I have to say that the Mirage speakers in general sounded great with music. Amazing clarity!

Seek out a local distro and have them a hear, only true way to know for sure. While you are there, listen to some other system that are available. Almost every speaker brand has some sort of compact bookshelf speaker setup usually with larger opptions to go with them as well. Klipsch, Energy, Paradigm, Def Tech, i know for a fact each of those has a line comperable to the micro energy systems, each have different sounds and are comprised of diff types of drivers.

Thankfully, I was able to hear several options ahead of time. I have previously demoed both the Take Classic and RC-Micro options form Energy and the Quintets/HD500?RSX-3s from Klipsch. I went last weekend and checked out the Mirage OS-3s, Nanosats, and MXs.

I ended up going with the MXs b/c the performance relative to the footprint of the 250ish square foot room was solid, and the amazing performance of the MM-6 (a sub that has very high Wife Approval Ratings. The price was so low, I figure if the sats don't cut it, I'll keep the MM-6 and see if I can squeeze a larger speaker into the system.

The MXs should be here this weekend or Monday. I'll be sure to post an update.

I got the MX system yesterday. Set up 3.1 and watched Iron Man 2. Initial thoughts:

The system is small....I mean very small. Everything appears well made. The MM-6 subwoofer is amazing. An 800 watt mini sub that blends seamlessly with the speakers provides a rich full sound without being fatigueing in our small room.

I don't know if I can get used to the aesthetic of the satellite as the center channel (since all 5 speakers look the same).

I am unsure if I am going to keep this setup. Specifically, I am considering getting two larger book shelf speakers and going 2.1. I don't have the space for a larger center channel, so I think I might go a different direction.

I am unsure if I am going to keep this setup. Specifically, I am considering getting two larger book shelf speakers and going 2.1. I don't have the space for a larger center channel, so I think I might go a different direction.

This seller looking for possible trade.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1986099487.html

Another option.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ele/1969255237.html

Bill