KHorn Project.

Guest David H

Guest David H

Dave,

I just noticed that the motor board square to round adapter mysteriously changed from aluminum to plywood. Do you plan to go to plywood or is that just an experiment? Needless to say, the crossovers look pretty good to me too!

Al K.

When I had the adapters built, I had some samples done from plywood. I chose to stick with the aluminum because the cost was the same for the wood or aluminum. I used the wood adapters on my own project in order to save the aluminum ones for my customers.

Dave

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Good question Herb, and it would be a tough call, both sound great. I really dont have the room for an a/b comparison and even if I did it would be purely subjective. I do have to say it sure is nice to plug in a single integrated set amplifier and have very comparable sound.

This combination of horns drivers and crossovers is certainly amazing. The soundstage is huge, and I am not shure what component which component or combination of components to give credit, but it is certainly nirvana.

The Selenium D220Ti I got from Bob Crites on ALK's reccomendation are another pleasant surprise, I did some A/B listening comparisons with Johnny 5's JBL 2426 and Beyma CP-25's and I dare say the Seleniums are all I need, and at 1/3rd the price. Nice job Selenium.

Dave Harris

Dave,

I think the nice soundstage you hear is mainly the ES5800 extreme-slope crossover. The effects of driver interference due to the gentle slopes of most networks really messes things up far more than people realize. It even sounds cleaner because you only hear each sound once rather then first from the tweeter and again from the squawker since it's farther away. I used to always hear a smearing on highs that was most noticeable on the string section of a symphony orchestra that simply went away when I first installed the ES7500 prototypes. I always thought it was simply the state of the art in recording techniques, but I think it was simply the effects of gentle slop crossovers.

Al K.

I think the nice soundstage you hear is mainly the ES5800 extreme-slope crossover.

I have been trying to talk Harri into the ES networks for quite some time, they are by far the best networks I have used with Klipsch. I sold mine with my Lascala's and miss that amazing soundstage, but I am certainly enjoying my new Reference Planars.

gentle slop crossovers

Did you mean slop? It is certainly a good description for low order networks.

Harri let me know when you get back. I want to hear the new K's and need to check out the Seleniun tweeter you say is as good as my JBL's.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Dave,

What about the complex taper. I thought that had to be done on a big band saw with both the top and bottom held to the correct angle in a jig.

Al k.

Complex taper can be solved one of two ways. Either angle the horn piece to be cut a the proper angle, in this case about 12 degrees, or have the router make multiple cuts at different depths accounting for angle changes. It's fairly simple, I prefer the later.

Dave

Guest David H

Do you sand out the taper? I have seen some who put the pieces in a jig and use a large cylinder wrapped in sand paper to produce the taper on two opposing pieces at the same time.

Pete the CNC machine does most of the work, some minor sanding is required before the sides are installed, but nothing like before using the half cylinder sander.

Dave