Klipschorn industrials?

kg4guy

A guy near me has some Klipschorn industrial cabinets for sale is there such a thing as a industrial K-Horn ?

Yep. It think they're called TSCM and often began life as production Klkipschorns that didn't quite pass the visual quality control so wrapped 'em up widh a false back and a ore industrial out cabinet.

Twisted Roger I'm sure will chime in soon as I think he's amassed enough to do a full 7.1 surround sound in TSCMs or soon will.

b3919d87-fe20-49a8-9358-60337a76accd

A guy near me has some Klipschorn industrial cabinets for sale is there such a thing as a industrial K-Horn ?

Ben is correct, the Pro Klipschorn is called the TSCM short for "Theatr Stage Cinema Monitor"

Where as a single Klipschorn weighs 175 pounds, the TSCMs weigh 250 pounds each.

The TSCM also has seperate Base Cabinet, and top section like a split LSI.

Klipschorns were made in pairs, and if one got Biotched up, They would enclose the 5/8" bass bin of the Klipschorn with sides, top and bottom of 3/4"

The first TSCMs were made in 1983, I own #1 and #2 bins from 1983.

All of the earlier TSCMs = most, have square magnet K-33E woofers. All of the newer TSCMs have the K-44E Pro Woofer rated at 250 watts RMS.

I have 7 of the TSCM tops now, and 9 of the TSCM Bass Bins, I did have 11 TSCM Bass Bins, but I sold a pair to Indy Klipsch Roger. Indy uses a slit LSI top hat with his Bass Bins, and I think that actually sounds better. The TSCM top hat still has a K-400 horn, but unlike all other K-400 horns that have a 5/8" throat, these have a 2" throat, are made out of fiberglass, and have Klipsh molded into the bottom front of the horn lens. The 2" throat is because there is a K manifold attached to the horn lense that mounts four K-55 midrange drivers. The Tweeter has a special horn lense that mounts two K-77-M drivers. These were ran behind the screen, so the midrange and tweeter were ran hot and the TSCM would have probably had MWM Bass bins for back up in the Bass department.

You can see a thread with alot of pictures under Pro Audio under the title "feeding the TSCM fever" which is a thread where Indy Klipsc Roger and Colter came to pick up the pair of Bass Bins.

Presently, the TSCM count on the forum is a pair owned by Travis = DUILawyer, a pair owned by my buddy Kevin Harmon (how we initially got to know one another was because of the TSCMs), the pair of Bass Bins owned by Indy Roger (TSCMs also responsible for me getting to meet those two crazies) and my own small collection. This is as far as I am presently aware of, so there are presently more of us who own KP-600s on the forum then TSCMs, and alot more that own MWMs.

How much is the guy asking and are you going to pick them up??

I know that fyrpower wants a set bad, as he is playing catch up with Kevin Harmon and already has KP-600s, MCM-1900 4-ways, and Jubilees where as Kevin has all of the big 4 plus alot more.

Roger

Cool thanks for the info I haven't gone to see them yet as he wants $400. for the pair I offered him $200. without seeing them however he won't budge from the $400. yet.

Don't be goofy!!!

If these are truely TSCMs, there are eight K-55 drivers in those two top hats that are worth a total of $600 as they bring $75 on eBay all day long. That doesn't include the two woofers, the pair of special K-400 horns, or the special tweeters. I am sure if you get in touch with Steve Kovats = FYRPOWER, I bet he would give you $ just to broker the deal for him.

Roger

They are empty no drivers

Are the hard to find pieces like the special K-400 horn, the K manifold, the special tweeter lenses or cross overs present, or has this guy got a clue as how to find out where they are???

I just woke up Ind Roger because I thought they were complete and he might want them! Awful sorry about that Roger!!

Cool thanks for the info I haven't gone to see them yet as he wants $400. for the pair I offered him $200. without seeing them however he won't budge from the $400. yet are they worth $400.?

It would be really hard to replace the hard parts, especially the special K-400 horns, but as already stated, I believe in a home environment they are better suited with split LSI tops unless you augment them with some MWM bins or KPT-684/KP-682s

Roger

I sent him the PDF file of the TSCM's and he said that his are just black Klipschorns made in the 70's or 60's sorry for the false alarm so $400. isn't a deal at all so after all that what are empty cabinets like this worth?

Empty klipsch cabs in good condition are always a good head start to getting some khorns in your house just be mindful that nice walnut khorns pop up all the time complete for 1000-1500 bucks. So 400 bucks is border line.

I'm wondering if these are really decorator versions painted black. Decorator versions have a flat wood face for the top horn motorboard and no triangle tops to them.

If they are actual klipsch made and painted decorator versions in black, they would be pretty rare today.

"the hard to find pieces like the special K-400 horn, the K manifold"

The k-400 is not so speacial. You can cut some k-401's at the 2" throat point and your all set.

The K manifold, I have a pair, with 8 drivers attached.

I sent him the PDF file of the TSCM's and he said that his are just black Klipschorns made in the 70's or 60's sorry for the false alarm so $400. isn't a deal at all so after all that what are empty cabinets like this worth?

Empty klipsch cabs in good condition are always a good head start to getting some khorns in your house just be mindful that nice walnut khorns pop up all the time complete for 1000-1500 bucks. So 400 bucks is border line.

I'm wondering if these are really decorator versions painted black. Decorator versions have a flat wood face for the top horn motorboard and no triangle tops to them.

If they are actual klipsch made and painted decorator versions in black, they would be pretty rare today.

. That was my first impression about these and so $400. I thought was alot and I'm not sure how much better the K-Horn bins will sound compared to the large La scala bins I built?

"the hard to find pieces like the special K-400 horn, the K manifold"

The k-400 is not so speacial. You can cut some k-401's at the 2" throat point and your all set.

The K manifold, I have a pair, with 8 drivers attached.

It wouldn't be correct, nor would it even look close. If I hadn't gotten the last two tops that I did, I would have taken one of my horn lenses to my body man and had him reproduce them for me.

Roger

In fact all "botched" Klipschorns were not destined to become TSCMs. Most were sold to employees at a good price or were destroyed. Sales for TSCM's were only occassional and a few rejected Klipschorns were put aside for when these rare orders came in. After all typical cinema stage systems that utilized TSCM's were just three units behind the screen in LCR configuration.

Roger wrote:

Klipschorns were made in pairs, and if one got Biotched up, They would enclose the 5/8" bass bin of the Klipschorn with sides, top and bottom of 3/4"

Remember that all Klipsch at the time were built in MATCHING pairs so one cabinet rejected meant the pair was rejected. Fortunately we had excellent craftsmen back then so it was indeed rare to see any Klipschorns rejected at all. To work on that particular cabinet line one had to be a long term employee and to even get on that line there literally had to be a retirement. Again, it was rare to see a rejected Klipschorn ever and some TSCMs were built from plain birch ply purposely.

At Klipsch Pro we always built the TSCM from scratch.

regards to all

Ian Thacker

• 1 month later...

In fact all "botched" Klipschorns were not destined to become TSCMs. Most were sold to employees at a good price or were destroyed. Sales for TSCM's were only occassional and a few rejected Klipschorns were put aside for when these rare orders came in. After all typical cinema stage systems that utilized TSCM's were just three units behind the screen in LCR configuration.

Roger wrote:

Remember that all Klipsch at the time were built in MATCHING pairs so one cabinet rejected meant the pair was rejected. Fortunately we had excellent craftsmen back then so it was indeed rare to see any Klipschorns rejected at all. To work on that particular cabinet line one had to be a long term employee and to even get on that line there literally had to be a retirement. Again, it was rare to see a rejected Klipschorn ever and some TSCMs were built from plain birch ply purposely.

At Klipsch Pro we always built the TSCM from scratch.

regards to all

Ian Thacker

Thack,

I sure don't have the insight of being there back then like yourself, so I only have the eleven TSCM bass bins I have owned and the two that Kevin Harmon owns which I have seen to go by. I believe that 9 of my 11 bass bins came with the older K-33E square magnet woofer and only two came with the K-44E woofer. All of the 9 Bass bins I still own are painted over wood veneers, probably because of the earlier production dates. Thanks again for the insight that you have from being there....

Roger