Quicksilver and laScala is it a good match?

BBZink

Good evening all,

anyone of you have quicksilver amp and preamp?

are they a good match with my laScala type a crossover?

any suggestion on witch quicksilver i should try, the horn version or the other?

please post impression and comment on this match?

i had a primaluna prologue one, that i want to replace, to powerfull for my laScala and i had try the prima luna with 6L6 or 6V6 or winged el34, still no fun from it? any clues?

the primaluna sound good with my tannoy or guzzler speaker, but with laScala to powerfull and cold sound? is it because of the autobias chip thing?

anyway any info you could provided, to help me upgraded, will be welcome!

i plan to sell back the prima luna prologue one with phono upgrade and 2 set of tube 999$ is it to much? the condition is mint?

Thanks for your helps

regards

Tpjrs

mint speaker and mints crite crossover, what else should i change on them?

Sounds like the amp to me. I have a Crites type A crossover in my pair. I have always wanted to try the Quicksilver horn amp but I am set for the moment As you know the La Scala requires almost no power and I have mine hooked to a 20 watt Canadian built amp (Ideal innovations Elite 80 amp, Norh ACA 2B preamp). I can't turn it up a quarter of the way and stay in the house. I get a great sound, but I have found the big Klipsch to be very picky about what goes into them. As it has been said over and over on this forum, it is how good that first watt is that matters. I have heard nothing but good things about the Quicksilver and how they sound on horns.

The horn mono is an excelent low noise amp it should pair very nicely with the la scalas...but it sounds like you are looking for more warmth (?). what kind of music do you listen to? I might suggest a vintage el84 powered amp or even some el34 models; brands like Dynaco, Marantz, Scott, Pilot, etc. they tend to have a plumper, warmer sound that might mate well with your la scalas and personal tastes. There are also some modern el84 amps out there with great reviews from Manely, Music Reference, and Almarro. Best of luck, tony

Correct, i am looking for the warm side of music, Jazz, folk and now discovering classical with you guys on "right this minute thread" that i read daily, and purchase music i saw there on itune!

And well for the vintage el84, i have found a pair of 1957 harman kardon prelude that need the capacitor to be replaced, and since, it is almost a year and didn't find time, so i put the project on hold!

Last week, i almost purchased a fisher receiver 500, but seller was honest and tell me it need cap upgraded(i am already there with my HK, so i decided to past). Now i havve stop looking for vintage and decided to go new for some quicksilver amp (horn maybe) with their quiet low power and tought about a croft preamp or the quicksilver, but already got a juicy tercel phono with peach upgrade that i wouldn't change for nothing, so that's my story... Primaluna is great amp, but this modern version of marantz 8 amp, is to powerfull for laScala.

and also correct, the good first watt, is all i need with laScala and almaro seem's ok, but i am looking for a final step in upgrading my thing (i know it will make some smiles here!). Prima was a between choice that i live to long with, maybe if i have b&w speaker or some king of monster guzzling speaker i had kept the prima, but my goal is to keep the laScala.

tap,

The very best I have heard my Klipschorns has been with the combo of Jolida JD-100 CDP, JM Peach, and Welborne DRD45.

The only reason I changed was that the 2 wpc with the 45 SET tube left me looking for a little more output but it is by far the best

sounding tube I have heard.

For Jazz and Folk, the DRD45s were OUTSTANDING.

Tpjrs,

I used both a Quicksilver Line Stage preamp and a pair of Horn Mono amplifiers to drive Cornwall III's a few years ago. The sound was nothing short of stunning. Warm, detailed, dynamic... all of the audiophile superlatives apply. Simply put, they were a perfect match. I see no reason why they wouldn't sound equally as good with La Scalas.

Of course, like some of the others have chimed in and said, there are numerous choices that will fit the bill. Ditto on the EL-84 recommendation... particularly in a Dynaco ST-35 which, interestingly enough, can be purchased in kit form again from Dynakitparts.com (no affiliation). Some of the sweetest 17.5 watts around.

The choices are virtually endless, so it comes down to budget, engineering (which tube/circuit you prefer), and availability. Good luck on your search, and let us know what you end up with.

Marty