Velleman K4040 tube amp with RF-7?

Matthews

Hello All,

First off, I know VERY little about tube amplifiers. Lately I have become interested in their performance. I am considering the purchase of a Velleman K4040. This amp is already pre-built and ready to run. The specs list this as a 90 wpc amplifier. This is where my knowledge dissipates. I am currently running a 250 wpc Yamaha. It seems that tube amps run much less wattage outputs? My main question is how will a 90 wpc tube amp compare to a 250 wpc SS.

I like to listen to my music loud in 2-channel. The way my 7's hit with the Yammy is incredible. My worry is I will be sacrificing the super heavy sound and clarity of the SS to warmth and depth of tubes. Will a 90 watt tube amp still shake the pictures off the walls like the 250 watt SS?

Am I barking up the wrong tree with tubes? (Although I think I already know how the forum will answer that one :)

Thanks and Keep on Rockin'

Matt

No, you're not barking up the wrong tree here. This is a refreshingly tube-friendly forum.

Check this out:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

I think that you'll be more than adequately powered with 90 watts.

Given the high sensitivity of your speakers, you even have the option of exploring SET amps if you choose.

It's been my experience that p/p tube amps sound more powerful than equivalent ss watts, but share many aspects of their sonic signatures. They play nice with most speakers, generally have high damping factors, and give that solidity in the lower registers. SETs, on the other hand, don't play nice with most speakers (but they generally do ok w/ Klipsch due to their high efficiency), have low damping factors (reactive to back emf; response influenced by the impedance response of particular speaker), and typically very low power output. In spite of these weaknesses, they lack any crossover distortion (since they operate in class A), and most use no nfb (which can cause smearing of subtle timing cues), giving a remarkably clear, transparent sound with fantastic imaging capabilities. Some of the forum members use ss for bass drivers and SETs for mids/highs in a bi-amp setup, to get the most from each approach while minimizing the compromizes.

The tube path can be quite expensive, so use good judgement to keep the cash outlays to a dull roar.

Try to find a dealer who will allow you to audition a tube amp in your system. The only way to know how it will sound is to do an actual listening test. The spl calculator mentioned above is a a great way to get some idea as to your power needs, but you also need to consider the room itself- does it have lots of carpeting, drapes, curtains, and other sound absorbing materials, or is it sparsely furnished with hardwood floors, etc? That will also affect your power needs significantly.

I read up some more on this Velleman and I think this IS the wrong tree. All the reviews state this is a superb amplifier after installing/upgrading the stock tubes. Not something I am willing to invest in. Suppose I will just have to wait until I can afford the 300 wpc McIntosh. Nothing else will do...[:P]

velleman.jpg picture by mattao1970

Thanks for the input and Keep on Rockin' --- Matt