Image One...

jrod

After a month and so days. I finally concluded that these are some great headphones! BUT! am I the only one experiencing discomfort after wearing them for a long time(3hrs+,etc.). It's not even at full blast. :( I even conducted tests with my friend who owns a denon 1k headphone(these are comfortable btw, soundwise I like Klipsch more.), even my friend experienced discomfort after a listening time of 2hrs.

BUT! am I the only one experiencing discomfort after wearing them for a long time(3hrs+,etc.).

It took me quite a while to get used to wearing my Grado SR60's for long periods of time, especially with the original thin pads that covered the comlete thing. The much thicker open foam ear pads are more comfortable and sound better to me. Still in use but much less than Image X10 and Custom 2 though may get more use than the Custom 2 when I just need a break from things in my ears. Can't wait to try the Image One but maybe a good thing I haven't as then I'll probably be convinced I'll need a set.

It's not even at full blast

So does that mean the discomfort is from loud volume? May need some noise isolating 'phones or quieter environment. Or discomfort from listening fatigue? With the Custom 2 and Image X10 I hear things I never heard with my Grados (ok $200 - $350 MSRP in ear compared to $70 open air I should hear more) including noise from mp3 player, computer sound card, badly encoded mp3 etc.

agreed.... is this discomfort from pressure of wearing or from listening to?

Mine are a few weeks old now I I did have to experiment with positions and settings/spacing, but I have my just where I like them... tight on my head so little sound can leak in or out.

I think the sound stage has changed on them slightly also... for the better. when I first got them they sounded slightly thin, but now I relly really like them a lot. best buy of 2010 for me.

You have to expeirment with almost every pair of headphones, and allow for break in (the drivers as well as the head band, foam and or cups) The only pair of Cans that I've never had fitment problem with are my AKG K701's but those things are huge. I have to fiddle with the image ones a lil bit to find a comfortable spot, both witht the headband and earcups. They are comfortable, and the sound stage has improved some from when they were new. Im still pleased with mine. Between the Image ones and my Denon D1000's The Image ones always come out first. The Denons just stay in the bag on the shelf.

• Like 1

agreed.... is this discomfort from pressure of wearing or from listening to?

Mine are a few weeks old now I I did have to experiment with positions and settings/spacing, but I have my just where I like them... tight on my head so little sound can leak in or out.

I think the sound stage has changed on them slightly also... for the better. when I first got them they sounded slightly thin, but now I relly really like them a lot. best buy of 2010 for me.

Agree with you on all accounts. At first they weren't very comfortable for listening sessions around an hour or more and they seemed a tiny bit shallow and thin. Now? Wow, what a difference. Incredibly comfortable and the sound, truly amazing.

It took me quite a while to get used to wearing my Grado SR60's for long periods of time, especially with the original thin pads that covered the comlete thing. The much thicker open foam ear pads are more comfortable and sound better to me. Still in use but much less than Image X10 and Custom 2 though may get more use than the Custom 2 when I just need a break from things in my ears. Can't wait to try the Image One but maybe a good thing I haven't as then I'll probably be convinced I'll need a set.

So does that mean the discomfort is from loud volume? May need some noise isolating 'phones or quieter environment. Or discomfort from listening fatigue? With the Custom 2 and Image X10 I hear things I never heard with my Grados (ok $200 - $350 MSRP in ear compared to $70 open air I should hear more) including noise from mp3 player, computer sound card, badly encoded mp3 etc.

ok blsamuel dish on the grados versus the high end klipsch phones...I have posted in the past about my dissapointment with my s4i. I absolutely love my grado sr-80 phones and though I have had other over the ear phones from AKG and Sennheiser I stopped shopping with the sr-80, I love that grado sound, perhaps I will buy a top line over ear phone from grado some day but for now I am happy...ANYWAY, I like the grado sound.

for my In ear phones I have used sharp, sony, koss and these klipsch phones. to be honest the best sound I have heard so far were from my sony ex71sl but I hoped by getting klispch I would get the klipsch sound (obvioulsy something else I love the sound of, considering my four pairs of klipsch speakers in my home) but the bass heavy nature and lack of extension and clarity in the treble of the s4i have left me using the sonys, not what I had hoped for.

some indications are that higher end klipsch in ear phones are much better BUT before laying down the long green I need some opinions I trust. from one grado lover to another (I have k-horns which I love as well) which klipsch phones will do it for me?

thanks for taking the time to help with this quandry. Tony

ok blsamuel dish on the grados versus the high end klipsch phones...I have posted in the past about my dissapointment with my s4i.

I have the Custom 2 and Image X10 and Grado SR 60. I had used the Grado SR60 for years. Very good headphones for the money and was considering upgrading, maybe to the SR80 or SR125 but naturally would like one of the uber cool wood bodied models.

I've only tried the S4 for a few minutes and thought these are pretty good for $80 as well the S2.

So how do the Custom 2 and Image X10 compare to the SR60s? More bass. The SR60s have pretty good bass for relatively inexpensive open arie phones. I suppose the Grado's may sound a bit brighter. Maybe even a bit more open. I normally don't listen at all loud so can hear co-workers where my phones get the most use quite easily through the Grado's.

At times I can hear co-workers a bit through the Klipsch but more so when I've not got quite as good of a seal. The bass of the Custom 2 is much strong and deeper with the Custom 2, even more so with the Image X10. Very tight, detailed, and deep bass. But the mids and highs don't seem to be at all lacking. The SR60's can't match it.

I'd say both Klipsch have a bit more punch, maybe quicker and better dynamics. Besides isolating external sounds better and maybe partially because of it I can hear things in my music even at very low levels that I just didn't hear with the SR60. I can also hear any noise from my Creative Labs Zen Xtra mp3 player and flaws in the mp3 encoding or recording. When paused the Zen
generates quite a bit more hiss and noise when the battery is getting
low (which goes away when playing music). I think I may have been able
to hear that on the Grado's but I had to listen for it a lot louder but
don't really remember.

$200 - $350 'phones compared to $70 so not really a fair comparison but I suspect would stay true as one moved up the Grado line only less so. I've also yet to hear the Image One.

The Klipsch, as with Klipsch speakers, often sound more like live music to me. With the Custom 2 and more so the Image X10 you can feel the bass in your head when you turn it up a bit. I don't remember ever experiencing that with my SR60.

Compared to the SR4 (micro speaker) the Custom 2 (dual armature) and Image X10 (very tiny single armature) I think the bass of the Custom 2 should be faster, more detailed, and tighter, and I suspect a bit more detailed while the S4 bass I think is good it might be a bit boomy by comarison and maybe a bit more bass. Probably doesn't go as deep but I'm not sure.

The S4 I think were designed more for prortable players such as iPhones and iPods. Obviously the Custom and Imae X10 and X5 models are intended to be used with portable players also but are probably less forgiving or more revealing I guess.

The Custom models aren't really available anymore. The Custom 3 were the best sounding Customs to me though I'd not tried them for more than a few minutes. I also like the Image X5 better. Both the Image X5 and the Custom 3 have what I think Professor Thum called a more forward midrange. Just sounds a lot clearer to me.

I'm not sure what Issues you're having with the S4 but the Image X10 will sound better to most people I'd think. To me the Image X5 sound even better. I can't wait to hear the Image One.

thanks for taking the time to give me that feedback. my only issues with the S4i are the boomy bass (which sounds bloated to me) and the lack of airiness in the treble. I dont like the way hi hats, etc. sound on the S4i's comapred with my other phones and speakers, it seems like a lack of extension and "air"...I may try the X5's many thanks, Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Do any of you know if the microphone will work on my Blackberry rather than the iphone?

Also, i assume these headphone will work in any standard mp3 player?

• 1 month later...