Yamaha amp M40 600 watts,6 channel,Yamaha pre amp

gfalk1

Hi everybody, I have very little knowledge when it comes to amps so I need some help, I have RF-7 for my fronts RC-7 for my center going to have either RS-7's or RS-52's for my sides and maybe RF-82's for my rears and I am using a pioneer vsx-1018-txv receiver would this be good to get Yamaha amp M40 600 watts,6 channel,Yamaha pre amp C40, would this help add power to my system and be good for 7.2 surround, any help would be great, thank you in advance.

The pre-amp isn't necessary unless you plan on getting rid of your Pioneer.

An outboard amp has really ramped up my theater and power hungry speakers such as RF-7s always benefit from a heavy duty amp. I'm not familiar with the M40 amp but lots of people on here have Yamaha gear matched up with Klipsch and love the combo.

I have very little knowledge when it comes to amps so I need some help

would this be good to get Yamaha amp M40 600 watts

While I do understand that the M40 is a pretty nice amp, it is power rated at 120watts/ch @ 8ohms and 170watts/ch @ 4ohms when running 2 channels only. If you are planning on hooking more than one pair of your speakers up to the M40(speakers A, B, C) and running them simultaneously, I would not advise. The strain on the amp with the increased load will probably cause overheating issues and the sound will become thin and veiled. A pair of RF-7's alone can be pretty demanding on an amp with it's sub 3ohm dips.

Unless you like crazy high volumes, the M40 should do a pretty good job of running your RF-7's providing you set them to small and set your sub crossover to 80hz or higher to let the sub's amp do the low duty. IMO.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I am not sure as to what I should do, I have RF-7's front, RC-7 centre, I will either have RS-52's or RS-7's for surrounds and RF-82's for rear, Klipsch RW-12d and Velodyne DPS-12 subs, I am using a pioneer vsx1016txv receiver, I would like to upgrade the receiver and add a amp if I need to, buI have no idea what would work best, I would like to keep the cost to under $1200 for the receiver and amp any suggestions would be great.

Heres my advice, i believe the receiver's hdmi is only for video switching purposes so if you want the best from your blu-ray sound get a blu-ray player that has analog multi-channel output. I use a pioneer bdp-320 for this. This player is pretty slow on load times but the video is among the best and i love the analog audio output quality and interface on the players menu. Okay so pretty much i advise you to keep the receiver. The receiver already has pre-outs so you can add an amp to this receiver. I would get an emotiva XPA-3 and then let your receiver run the rf-82s and rs- speakers.

Thanks Bill, I am not sure as to what I should do, I have RF-7's front, RC-7 centre, I will either have RS-52's or RS-7's for surrounds and RF-82's for rear, Klipsch RW-12d and Velodyne DPS-12 subs, I am using a pioneer vsx1016txv receiver, I would like to upgrade the receiver and add a amp if I need to, buI have no idea what would work best, I would like to keep the cost to under $1200 for the receiver and amp any suggestions would be great.

with a $1,200 budget, here's your best bang for the bucks deals.

Emotiva XPA-5 200wpc ($709 shipped)

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

Onkyo HT-RC180 ($478 shipped)

http://www.onecall.com/product/Onkyo/HT-RC180/Receiver/_/R-99863