Upgrade options?

Bobok

Hello all, new guy here... I just recently made my first real dive into the realm of Klipsch with the purchase of my RF-82's from a forum member, who consequently notified me of this wonderful online community. The 82's replaced the two Quintets I was using as my very sad front stage, and now I seam to have caught the upgrade bug. These are all being pushed with a Denon AVR-792 btw. So this leads me to my question, whats the best way to go about this? I was thinking of replacing the rest of my Quintets with an RC-62 and a pair of reference surrounds; replacing my Denon with some Emotiva gear; or building an HTPC... Right now I'm using my PS3 as my blu-ray/music player and it works alright, but I think it could be alot better, thus the need for an HTPC. So in what areas do you think I would benefit the most from an upgrade? I mean I would like to do all this stuff eventually, but I'm gunna take it one step at a time. Any thoughts?

P.S. speaker placement in a dome home thread soon to follow :)

Bobok,

Welcome to The Forum!

I would suggest searching CL religiously; for a center; surrounds; sub.... etc.

The PS3 is better than you think.

I suggest spending to get the best center you can (RC-64?) The center would be my first move......

I know little about your receiver; but the Emotiva stuff is really good bang for buck. (second move)....

Good Sub (Third).....

Compatible surrounds..... (fourth)

Go slow.... Research as much as possible. See what you can audition live.......

Ask questions and enjoy the journey.

[H]

Thanks Ironsave, thats exactly what I wanted to hear... I would mainly replace the PS3 with an HTPC for convenience; right now I'm streaming all my music from my laptop, which is kind of a pain. I'll keep my eye out for deals on CL, but do you think it would be worth getting the RC-64 as opposed to the 62? Anyways, thanks again for the input!

If the RC64 could be had for not that much more money? YES.

If it is double the price? Can you afford it? (If so.... still might be worth it).

I started with a KG 2.5 for a center; then a KV-3 and FINALLY got a KV-4.

The KV-4 finally gives me the beautiful stage for movies with my Heresies.

(The KV-3 was good; better with other mains)....

6 months after your HT is done; Do youwant to keep asking yourself "What if I had gotten the RC-64?"

That being said; the RC-62 is a great center......

Others will chime in with their perspectives......

Remember...... Ultmately; it's your ears..... [H]

Ironslave gives very good advice. I would go in that exact same order.

Now, as for the RC-64... I ran it with rf-82's for a long time and loved it. It took some tweaking on my AVR to get the front sound stage to sound good, but once I found the sweet spot, I was really happy with the 82-64-82. I say go for it!

I get the best equipment I can afford at the time, and I buy used. My end game is a 3 La Scala L-C-R and 4 Heresys for surrounds, but i'm not in a big hurry. Part of the fun is the journey...

Welcome to the madness!

Jrod

Spend a much as you can ..while you got it.

Rc-64 or Rc-62...

The Rc- 62... I would think would be a better match for the Rf 82's. That all depends on what Emo gear you are thinking about...is it XPA or UPA??

It depends on how much room you have

If you are thinking of going with the UPA series than I would would stick with the RC- 62.

Spend the other half that you would spend on the RC-64 on a sub.

Maybe one of the RSW series...or SVS

• 4 weeks later...

...with the purchase of my RF-82's from a forum member...

Hey man! Great to see you here, and very glad you are enjoying the RF-82s. Wasn't sure it was you until your 'dome room' comment.

Many say to get the best center channel you can, as that has the most audio during movies. Klipsch's site pairs the RC-62 with RF-82s. $875 is a lot for a center. It is possible to get a used RC-64 for $500-600. But if that 64 II is local, you save on shipping. You've probably thought about these details already.

I would get a center channel first, then a sub and surrounds as you can find them. Once your desired 5.1 speakers are set, then spring for more power. wuzzzer is selling an Emotiva LPA-1 amp here. Watch out, that Garage Sale section is dangerous!

Does your Denon AVR have preamp outs? If so, you can use that as a pre/pro with your new setup until you decide on an HTPC or a dedicated processor.

Lots of fun stuff ahead!

Rivernuggets! Yeah I love the rf-82s, there treating me very well for my first dive into some real gear... My future plans include rf-7's and moving the 82s to surround duty, thus the need for splurging on this center channel. I've seen the older rc-64 in the price range you mentioned, and I can just see myself buying it and wondering over the next few months, "hmm wonder what the rc-64 II sounds like?" Its not exactly local, but he quoted me $900 shipped, is that a good deal?

I was wondering the same thing about my Denon AVR after seeing the prices on that Emotiva gear, checked the back of my receiver, NOPE... I wish I would of thought to check that when I bought it. I guess when I upgrade my power I will have to spring for the UMC-1, or maybe the XMC model will be out by then :)

• Moderators

I've seen the older rc-64 in the price range you mentioned, and I can just see myself buying it and wondering over the next few months, "hmm wonder what the rc-64 II sounds like?"

I've had mine for almost 2 years and I haven't once had that thought. [:D] Seriously.

Sounds like a good plan. Don't fly through this TOO fast. Enjoy the 82s as mains for a bit. Good deals will surface while you are enjoying your gear.

Once you get surrounds (or in your case bigger mains), a sub and processing you're happy with, sit back and enjoy. I read somewhere on this forum to "crave the gear that you have". This has helped me with upgraditis.

he quoted me $900 shipped, is that a good deal?

I can't really comment. This is the first used RC-64II I have seen/heard of for sale.

Be careful. Shipping can be dicey with a speaker that size and weight. I had an RC-64 arrive damaged because of UPS. If you do pull the trigger on this 64II, be compulsive and annoying to the seller about insuring it (for the speaker price AND shipping costs), how it's packaged and who he is using for a carrier. Freight would be a more expensive and safer way to ship.

Keep us posted. [:D]

• 3 weeks later...

Unboxed and without any damage, you guys made me nervous with all the shipping horror stories I've read on hear! The one thing that does make me nervous is the speaker terminals, they don't take banana plugs, and they look different than the ones posted on the Klipsch website?

The one thing that does make me nervous is the speaker terminals, they don't take banana plugs, and they look different than the ones posted on the Klipsch website?

Are you worried because they are not that clear looking plastic?

From the factory each wire terminal is covered with a small plasitc disc. You can pry it out with a small knife or screwdriver to allow the use of banana plugs.

post-34666-1381963467124_thumb.jpg

I don't know about the terminal color. Maybe after the Fourth Generation Reference line they went back to red and black.....? Can others comment or verify that RC-64 II and other Reference II series have red and black colored terminals?

Seems like a small detail but I can understand wanting to have the 'real thing'.

BTW, your setup looks killer! Very cool to see those 82s as mains again.