Crossover question

Connor

Hi all.

I have been reading/hearing about all these aftermarket crossovers that are available to buy/build for the Belle/Khorn combination. ALK keeps being mentioned (in a good way)

Does anyone know what exactly is being done, and if the mods sound better? Are they changing the crossover point and falloff rate? (if so, to what? -- I don't even know where the belle/khorns cross over, by default)

Are they simply using higher-quality components? Are they replacing all the crossovers, or just for the center channel? (I could see this, especially if the setup is going to be used expressly for movies, and the goal is to optimize the speaker for midrange voices and such)

The reason I am so interested is that I can adjust the crossover point at the Preamp, per speaker; and instead of just shooting in the dark, I was hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Connor

Connor,

For more info on ALK's crossover's go here...

http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html

For more info on the Khorn and the Belle, go to the Home page and then click on Products and then Home Audio and then Heritage. You will find the Khorn and Belle there. After clicking on them, select Specifications from the left side. That should give you the info you are looking for...

Mike

Al's crossovers primarily use better components. In fact, they are pretty much the state of the atr, hence the price. The crossover points and slopes remain about the same as the AK/AL-x series. The tweeters have less protection, but fewer components to interfere with the sound. The impedance curve is pretty well flat from about 80 Hz to 20k. Al uses a trick with a resistor to control the impedance in the midrange so it doesn't get so high. That should be good for tube amps. The Klipsch networks tend to have more losses in the tweeter circuit so Al's networks sound a little hotter.

I prefer them to the Type AL by a long margin.

John

In my pair of 1977 cornwalls I assume are stock crossovers. I have inquired as to the ALK upgrade B series for these speakers.

John: You write that the ALK crossovers are better than the AK/AL - x crossovers. I'm a little confused as the difference between ALK, AK and AL. Can you elaborate? All that I saw on ALK's website was type 'A' and 'B' crossovers.

Thanks!

Mace....Crossing over to Heritage from Legend.

The Heritage series crossovers underwent several iterations with the "modern" set of drivers. The original Type A was used in the K-horn. Type AA was used in KH/B/LS. Then Type AB/AL/AK was used in the corresponding speaker. Next, there was a Type AK-2 and AB-2, but maybe not an AL-2. Next, was the AK/AL-3; I've never heard of an AB-3. Now the new ones likely have an AB/AL/AK-4 network. Al's network has been nicknamed Type ALK; it can replace anything from Type A to Type Ax-3, or the entire A-series of networks except perhaps the Ax-4 network. I'm sure he's working on that. Wink.gif

John

This message has been edited by John Albright on 04-17-2002 at 05:49 PM

quote:

Originally posted by mace:

Thanks for the info!

Could you try ID-ing the crossover in the picture (from a 1977 CornWall).

Thanks!
cwm7.gif

Mace

Mace- I obviously have no history with these crossoverscwm15.gif and they are probably a "B" type, but in viewing the very nice pic you set up for us there looks like what seems to be some sort of label attached to the top edge of the base. Does it have any useful info?? cwm13.gif

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 04-17-2002 at 08:05 PM