Bridged my Onkyo and Chorus I speakers

cablebandit

I have a set of chorus I speakers as the mains in my HT setup running on my onkyo nr-tx3007. it is 140wpc. I had read that these speakers love power even though they can play loudly with very little. I decided to read the manual and bridge the power to the chorus Is. the manual said that bridging gives nearly double the power so I figured maybe it is now outputting 200wpc to the chorus speakers. What i immediately noticed is that they sounded less distorted when played at a loud volume level. i also noticed a lot more difference between the loudest and softest parts of music. I think thats called dynmics but not sure. either way it was worth the few minutes to do it and I now have a clearer more robust sound.

While you are in experimental mode why don't you try something else? With a little more speaker wire you might want to try a biamp set up rather than bridging. You shoud do what is called a vertical biamp set up . I assume you have two stereo amps so one amp per speaker right channel bass left channel mid/top and repeat on the second speaker with the second stereo amp. This should sound better than your bridged configuration. More separation and less bandwidth per amplifier. Have fun.Regards Moray James.

I did not look up any info on your amp so I assume that it is a HT amp with multiple channels available. Must have at least four channels if you were able to bridge and still run two channel stereo. So you still have the ability to vertically biamp. Two channels right two channels left. This arrangement should sound better than simply bridging for more the power. No reason not to give it a try is there unless I am missing something? Best regards Moray James.

Wuzzer: Thank you for letting me know this I had no idea. Can you explain how the term came about?

My experience with biamping has been that going vertical makes less demands upon the amp running the low frequency drivers as opposed to a horizontal. I have also found that not all amps sound better when bridged.

My appologies to Dennis. regards Moray James.

Well I bought an Adcom GFA 555 amp locally on craigslist. it is 200wpc @ 8 ohms.Results....the onkyo sounds better when in bridged mode than the Adcom. I was shocked. The adcom weighs about 35lbs and the Onkyo 50....I dont know what that means about power/quality but I was surprised at the results. The Onkyo sounds "wider".....like the speakers are further apart. The adcom sounds like mono if you will. The Onkyo is a tx nr3007...claims 140wpc@ 8 ohms in non bridged mode and over 200 bridged. Now i gotta sell the Adcom that I just bought wednesday :(

Well I bought an Adcom GFA 555 amp locally on craigslist. it is 200wpc @ 8 ohms.Results....the onkyo sounds better when in bridged mode than the Adcom.

While the Adcom you have is a quality amp, Klipsch and Adcom may not be the best marriage. With that said, try to find an amp that is a little more on the neutral or warmish side(NAD, B&K, Marantz, etc.)

Where is your location? If you are in the Atlanta area, maybe check out this amp.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/ele/2047594912.html

Bill