Lascala tweeter replacement

raven7132

I have purchased a pair of lascala's with blown tweeters. I am thinking of replacing them with the eminence ap-50's. Does anyone have any better ideas? Additionally, I have the AA crossovers in these, and in the future am thinking of upgrading here. I am debating over the merits of the al-k and the crites al-4500?

Even better is these folks are going to ship them for $101.00. About half. They are rough, but nothing that a bit of carpentry can't handle and make them as good as new. I was actually happy the tweeters were blown since it is the weak link in the scala. It seemed to bring the price down. I've wanted a pair of these for sooo sooo long. My Nakamichi pa-7 is going to love to power these.

The eminence apt-50 is what Bob uses. They can be bought for $29. I love Bob, but I can't see spending all that extra money on his units when I can buy the same thing for a lot less. I am hearing the Beyma cp-25's are an even better upgrade, but the horn would require modifications to the boxes.

The eminence apt-50 is what Bob uses. They can be bought for $29. I love Bob, but I can't see spending all that extra money on his units when I can buy the same thing for a lot less. I am hearing the Beyma cp-25's are an even better upgrade, but the horn would require modifications to the boxes.

You're right, but I would qualify your statement by adding that $29 is without a horn, so you still have to buy appropriate horns. If you want drop-ins, you'll have to modify any of the various inexpensive horns that are available. That doesn't do much for the re-sale value of the components. Bob has custom made lenses that are drop-ins, threaded for the apt-50. Honestly, not a bad deal, especially used at ~ $120/pair.

I will I just simply screw in the apt-50 to the horns of the blown k-77's that are in the la scalla's.

The time, trouble, and tools involved to drill the center, tap some threads, and figure out the correct spacker thickness, finding suitable spacer material, etc......makes Bob's solution more attractive.

• 2 weeks later...

Having problem with pics. Putting the apt-50 in was a fantastic investment. It blows the k-77 away. The speaker simply comes alive. It's a very simple project that brings out substantial audio improvement.

Eminence did not do anyone any favors by calling this tweeter you used the APT-50. It is really not even similar in performance to the original Eminence APT-50. The new APT-50 spec is attached as a PDF.

Bob Crites

new apt50.pdf