Invitation to McIntosh and Marantz Event

Youthman

• Moderators

Last week, I received in the mail an invitation to the M&M Event (McIntosh and Marantz) at an A/V store about 45 minutes from my home. I'm not sure how or why I received the invite but I thought it would be fun. I invited a friend to go with me.

We arrived and there was a signin sheet with about 20 - 30 people on the list. They had food catered in from Bonefish Grill, wine, and sodas available to the guests.

We checked out the 7 HT rooms they had setup. I had been in the store once before when I was researching speakers, projectors etc. They had reps from McIntosh and Marantz giving demos in each of the rooms. Truly amazing systems for sure.

The one that impressed me the most was of course, the most expensive. One room had the top of the line McIntosh gear in it. Here is what we demoed.

Note: Photo below is from Google..it's was not from the event we attended

mcintosh-xrt2k-speakers-1.jpg

XRT2KReference Loudspeaker - $100,000 a pair

Contained six 12" woofers, 64 midrange and 40 tweeters.

MC2KW

2,000 Watt Reference Power Amplifier - $30-000 each

Each amplifier has three units for 1 channel. Two are transformers, one is the actual amp with meters. They had six of these laying on the floor (3 for each channel). It was a sight to see these behemouths laying on the floor in between these 7 foot floorstanding speakers.

1112.aspmc2kw-trio_poweramps-l.jpg

I looked online and found this entire system that they had setup in the room.

PRICE
MC2KW
power amp $30,000 each
XRT2K speaker $45,000 each
C1000C controller
$8,000
C1000P solid-state preamp $9,000
C1000T vacuum-tube preamp
$9,000
MCD1000 CD transport $7,000
MDA1000 D/A converter $8,000
http://www.hemagazine.com/node/King_of_the_Hill#ixzz170mPWylm'>

All I can say is WOW. McIntosh brings new meaning to Reference. It was pretty amazing but honestly, I could never imagine spending $200,000 on a 2 channel system. But it was fun and thought I would share it with everyone.

• Moderators

Looks like this guys a believer . http://www.hometoys.com/ezine/10.12/isi/index.htm

Wow....that is just sick! He even has the "smaller" towers for rear speakers. Talking about overkill. Same amps powering the rears too. How would you like to have $130,000 just in your rear speakers and amps that power them. I wonder if he needs a new nephew. [:D]

• 4 months later...

Yikes! That had to be some type of other-worldly experience.

I have a friend who heard their predecessors in LA and said it was the best sound at the show.

Our own JW Cullison had a set of these types McIntosh speakers and sold them off. He like them, but still ended up with an all-horn setup.....his own Tractrix straight axis bass horn (4x4 foot mouth with twin 12" drivers in throat) good to 70Hz. KPT-MCM-Grand-4T top end, with Twin KPT-684 Theater subs. He owns more horns than anyone I know (in storage) and has serial numbers 1 and 2 of modern LaScalas for "fun" speakers.

Klipsch still represents the best sound per dollar out there, period.

Claude, No doubt. Please don't misunderstand me to mean otherwise. I was completely blown away when I added my Emotiva XPA-5 and I realized that I didn't have my sub on and it is the same thing with the cymbals and the vocals. My Klipsch Reference speakers are good enough to compare to anything in my book. I've heard a few high priced speakers paired with great amps and I keep waiting for there to be more but there is nothing that blows my Klipsch away. It is an other-worldly experience to be in front of twenty thousand dollars worth of equipment; It just doesn't live up to the hype. I have to admit I'm mesmerized by the McIntosh lights and meters. Nic