Opinions Welcome

levelfive

I have two Klipsch VF-36 speaker now and two Klipsch RF-82 II and one Klispch RC-52 II speakers that will arrive FedEx soon. I ordered the Denon AVR-4310CI but after reading many reviews regarding the Denon I am a little skeptic regarding this reciever. Minor quirks, but nevertheless, quirks...Can anyone suggest an alternative AVR that would work well with my speakers if the Denon does not pan out? Or does anyone own a 4310CI that can offer some input on the performance of this receiver? New to the HT scene... Thanks in advance!

welcome to the family

honestly i had two denon avrs and they didnt really pan out i just gave them both away and said im done with this companyi think you can go with onkyo or pioneer i think they have better avrs than denon i personally have the onkyo tx-sr 806 i love it.it has five hdmi inputs 130 watts per channel that more than enough for me but just give the the denon avr a try and if its not up cutting it go else where.

i dont know whats your buget but you can try one of these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+770W+7.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9846378.p?id=1218183106808&skuId=9846378

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-+700W+7.2-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9846341.p?id=1218183109742&skuId=9846341&st=onkyo&contract_desc=null

i hope that my info was helpful

Levelfive,

Welcome to the forum.

Let me ease your mind. In the age of computer controlled audio/video gear, all the major mfr's have built some quirky gear. Denon, Onkyo, NAD, Emotiva, Yamaha, just to name a few, can't make the claim that they are exempt from some quirky issues with their gear. Buy your Denon, check which firmware is loaded, load the latest if not updated, and give it a whirl. Try to make these quirks appear, if no quirk, enjoy. If quirks you can't live with, send it back and buy another brand.

I have never owned any modern Denon AVR's. I do own an Onkyo TX-SR705 for over 3 years with no issues except for the infamous DTS-MA "bomb'(which other mfr's experienced), that was completely corrected with a firmware update. I have been very pleased with my Onkyo and it's reliability and ease of operation.

Here are a couple of suggestions from a reputable factory authorized online merchant. Many of these items have been factory refurbished where most of the quirks(bugs) have been eliminated. Very easy company to deal with. Hurry if interested because the really good deals go fast. No affiliation with Accessories4less.com.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR7005/MARANTZ/SR7005-3D-Ready-7.1-Home-Theater-Networking-Receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR5007/Onkyo/TX-NR5007-THX-Ultra2-Plus-145-watts-Channel-9.2-Network-Receiver/1.html

Bill

Personally I think you have the best receiver for the money out there heading your way. Although I am a little biased towards Denon as I have only owned Denon for over two decades now. I have been very intrigued by a few of the other big names out there as I am soon to be in the market for another Reciever or possibly seperates. Denon seemd to always have the cleanest sound among all the receivers I have heard although I have heard just a handful of upper end boutique named receivers. After looking at some bench tests it is shocking to see so many top tier receivers really suck at their actual power output with 5 channels driven. This may not be a big deal to some, but I listen to 5 channel stereo quite a bit and I want to actualy get close to the amount of power I pay for. I would concentrate on features and actual power output and what sound you like. Here are a few tests on some big names and you can see how the numbers are all over the place.

Denon 4310 CI listed at 130 watts per channel

HT Labs Measures

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 113.8 watts
1% distortion at 131.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 104.6 watts
1% distortion at 116.6 watts

Onkyo TX-NR5008 A/V Receiver: listed at 145 watts per channel
Bookmark and Share HT Labs Measures

HT Labs Measures

0.1% distortion at 79.1 watts
1% distortion at 95.5 watts

0.1% distortion at 78.7 watts
1% distortion at 94.6 watts

Yamaha RX-Z7 A/V Receiver: 140 watts per channel listed

HT Labs Measures

0.1% distortion at 63.0 watts
1% distortion at 66.3 watts

0.1% distortion at 47.1 watts
1% distortion at 54.5 watts

Pioneer Elite SC-27 A/V Receiver: listed at 140 watts per channel (Class D amp)

HT Labs Measures

0.1% distortion at 111.3 watts
1% distortion at 131.4 watts

0.1% distortion at 107.4 watts
1% distortion at 124.2 watts

Thanks to all who took time out of their day to offer feedback!

Your very welcome.

So, what are you going to get? We want to know now. Just kidding. When you shell out big $$$, it takes time to make the right decision. Be patient, do research, get advice.

Bill

"... it is shocking to see so many top tier receivers really suck at their actual power output with 5 channels driven ...".

Yes, shocking and revolting. Do we still have a FTC? They cleaned up the audio industry once, soon after the abuses of the early '70s, when a 20 watt RMS per channel (both channels operationg) could be promoted as an 80 watt amplifier (multiply the RMS by 2 for two channels, then double that for peaks) ... the FTC put a stop to that! Companies of high reputation like McIntosh didn't play those games, but relied on their dealers to explain the fraud.

While there are unnamed and unmeasured qualities of amplifiers that may make them sound different, and may be more important than harmonic distortion, and while most people might not be able to tell the difference between a huge difference in distortion if both figures are below the threshold of audibility, e.g., 0.05% and 0.005%, 1% distortion is quite audible, and occurs way below the rated power of the amps listed by max2mc, if bench tests are accurate..

Thanks again for all the suggestions from everyone! I decided to go with the Denon 4310CI (sweet)...

Samsung 46" LED HD TV - Denon 4310CI AV Receiver - Klipsch RF-82II bi-amped - Klipsch VF-36 - RC-52II - Klipsch SW-450 - Panamax M5300-PM - Panasonic DMP-BD60 - Xbox 360

Congrats and please keep us updated with its performance .