Newbie Floorstanding Speaker Suggestions

guitarizt

I'm thinking about getting a yamaha RX-V995 receiver (I have no idea why I put sony. I was looking right at the yamaha receiver online too). What is the best sounding, cheapest pair of floorstanding speakers I could get? Am I making a big mistake in getting a yamaha RX-V995? I'm not worried about how loud the system can get, but floorstanding speakers would be nice. I want to make it a 5.1 eventually, but I'll probably just try to get by with a 4.0 setup. I'd be using a pair of floorstanding jensens and a pair of klipsch's I don't have yet. I'm not sure how good the jensens sound yet, but they make good speakers for guitar amps.

This message has been edited by guitarizt on 04-10-2002 at 02:45 PM

I can't answer your Sony question since I have Yamaha receivers (which I highly recommend). For speakers, the Klipsch Synergy series has a lot of bang for the buck for small tower speakers. I have both the SF-1 and SF-2 and am very happy with them.

If you can, I would advise you to go listen at a dealer, and let your ear decide.

Good Luck

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scala's (mains)

SF-2 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590

SF-1 Mains

What's the difference between the sf 1 and 2? Does the sf 2 just have one extra speaker giving it the name sf 2? Might get the sf2 just cause it looks cooler, and it should be able to move a lot more air with that extra speaker. I'll have to listen to them though. I will be using them for music too, but mainly for tv and movies. I listen to music mostly on my computer anyways and I don't care enough about the sound to upgrade my soundcard and speakers yet. I use to have a sharp 702 portable md recorder but it broke a month ago and I've been depressed ever since. =(

I'm checking out the prices and I might pay the extra $ for the rf-3s but I'll have to check them out first. I might be able to Saturday, but I can't remember what model speakers the store I'm going to had. I doubt they were synergy or rf's because they were ~$1000 for a single speaker if I remember right. It might have been a pair though.

RF3 all the way. An ideal intro to the Klipsch family that some people stay with for ever.

Might want to re-think the Sony Receiver though. Generally speaking Denon, Marantz and Yamaha receivers are more highly rated than Sony's.

As with most generalizations there are exceptions. the best Surround sound system I ever heard was using an inexpensive Sony receiver.

If you want to look at Marantz they have a unit in Europe (dont know abouth the US) that is very inexpensive but has all the features you could ever want. It is, however, only 70 wpc - not a problem with 98dB sensitivity of an RF3 of course - we are still talking over 116 Db continuous. That should be enough for anyone!!

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

G - The model number of the receiver you give looks like an old Yamaha model number, not a Sony number. I can't find that model anywhere on the Sony website, but Yamaha used to have a RX-V995, if I'm not mistaken.

Doug

I have no idea why I put sony instead of yamaha. You're right it is yamaha. Here's a link to someone selling it on ebay if you want to see it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1344587100&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1018553576&indexURL=0&rd=1

quote:

Originally posted by ShapeShifter:

guitarizt,

I have the original RF-3 Series, not the newer II's. Presently, the mains & center are being stored, but I would be willing to set them up if you live nearby and want to listen.

Wes

That would be great, but I live near grand haven. On map quest it said that I was about 175 miles away from you. If I ever head out that way to visit relatives or something I might be able to make it. I'll call around to some stores to see what they carry, but there's only 3 dealers that might carry the reference series. Langlois is the closet to me, but I'm pretty sure they don't carry the reference or synergy series. They do have the quintets which I know not to get and don't want anyways. The other two stores are in grandville and grand rapids which is about a 40-50 minute drive.