Help with Ultra2 Setup of KA-1000 and Dual KW-120 with Yamaha RX-A2000

Guavamanh

I read the link... however it was for an old AVR and didn';t deal with the KA-1000. My AVR is ~5 years old Pioneer VSX54 and has one sub out. To make this simple... is it correct to say that I am set up correctly by having one cable go from the AVR to the top left post on the KA-1000? My goal is to have them operate as one unit... right? Even with this goal, I may need to consider my placement as I have one in the left front of the room and the other in the right front of the room.

Thanks for the clarification CECAA850 =) I knew that it increased voltage/output but didn't know that it made no difference in maximum output... I wouldn't run the subs at maximum output anyways lol. It's too bad that I can't utilize the L/R dual sub settings of my reciever (Yamaha RX-A2000). Does anyone know if this makes a big difference? Isn't LFE supposed to be non-directional anyways? The only benefit I can see of independant settings for the dual subs would be calibration for placement?

It sounds kdm is trying to operate the 2 subs as a single unit with his single sub out from his receiever. I agree, it sounds correct. Seems like the consensus is that it doesnt really matter either way (single input vs dual input with Y splitter)

I knew that it increased voltage/output but didn't know that it made no difference in maximum output...

All it does is to sum the voltage of the L and R channel. The sub amp sees more voltage and adjusts output accordingly. That's why increasing the voltage sent by the receiver does the same thing. The amplifier doesn't create more power, it's simply like turning it up.

That sounds correct. Sub out on the receiver to sub in on the sub amp. Move the subs around or stack them one on top of the other.

Above you say -- move the subs around. Does this mean that I need to get then together somehow? Meaning they need to either be side by side or on top of each other, but NOT on opposite sides of the room? I can do this rather easily.

That sounds correct. Sub out on the receiver to sub in on the sub amp. Move the subs around or stack them one on top of the other.

Above you say -- move the subs around. Does this mean that I need to get then together somehow? Meaning they need to either be side by side or on top of each other, but NOT on opposite sides of the room? I can do this rather easily.

Ok subwoofer placement 101. If you co-locate the subs (place them close to each other or on top of each other) you'll get more output than if they were separated. Good for large rooms. In addition. you can find the best placement option by placing the sub in your normal listening (seating) position, play some bass heavy music, and crawl around the perimiter of the room to find the spot that has the best sounding (loudest) bass and place the sub(s) there. You can use an SPL meter to assist.

Ok subwoofer placement 101. If you co-locate the subs (place them close to each other or on top of each other) you'll get more output than if they were separated. Good for large rooms. In addition. you can find the best placement option by placing the sub in your normal listening (seating) position, play some bass heavy music, and crawl around the perimiter of the room to find the spot that has the best sounding (loudest) bass and place the sub(s) there. You can use an SPL meter to assist.

Please communicate this to my wife!

Can dual subs be placed in the center of the room -- pointing towards the seating -- right by the center channel? It doesn't seem too realistic to crawl around the room looking for bass -- since the subs cables are so large and think -- would be hard to hide in the wall... right? I think I am just going to move them on one side of the room.

• 3 weeks later...

Previously in this thread I was experiencing trouble with my subs (no rumble). A little embarrassing, but I just realized that my subs were set to "no sound"! I went through the set up again and figured out how to set the levels. I always heard the subs when the auto setup went around the speakers -- thus I thought it was working. Now I am happy.

• Klipsch Employees

Max out of the KA-1000 is about 66 -67 volts loaded.

Non THX mode (green lights on) 0.75 mV in = 66 -67 Volts out

THX mode (two lights on the right are red) 3 Volts in = 66 - 67 Volts out

The "Y" adapter will give more voltage in due to the input going through 2 op amps rather than one. Thus more in and getting to max out "faster" or "with less volume knob".

So with your receiver at 1/4th level and a using only one RCA on the KA-1000 you get "X" level from the subs. When you add the "Y" and change nothing else you should see about 3db of output from the sub. ( room and crossover setting can change the amount)

• Like 1