Help me choose a Remote Control

USNRET

Currently using Harmony 880 (and that is all I have used as a Universal for about, oh, 7-8 years). Love it BUT I would like to be a little more creative.

Requirements: Most be able to control at least 4 components (Onkyo PR-SC5507, Oppo BDP-93, DirecTV DVR and Vizio TV) with line of sight IR currently but would like the capability to include a Mac Mini as a music server if that is possible. The Oppo takes a little while to power up, boot up and take commands so I need some delay capabilities that are not available in the Harmony remotes. To expound on the Oppo delay issue: I would like the wife to be able to pick up remote and press one button that would power up all the appropriate equipment and (once the Oppo is able to receive commands) go to HOME, down once, select in order to view Netflix. At that time she should be able to negotiate the Netflix menu with ease.

At times I have moved the Xbox-360, PS-3 and WII into the system for use on special occasions but they normally live in other parts of the house. IF these could be added it would be a plus (I realize that the PS-3 is Blue Tooth and would require an adapter).

RF capability? OK, give it to me just because I might move in 9 months and who knows I might get lucky and have a need for RF. Cost of RF to IR module would be a factor. Eventually, controlling the second zone via RF from the back deck would be cool.

I have been looking at URCs from the MX-450 up to the MX-980. I almost bought one of the 980s but got scared about finding a source for the programming software. There is no dealer within 4 hours of me that I could even call to ask if they would provide the software on disc. I have it from URC that providing the software is at dealer discretion and is permitted by URC.

I am almost sure the 980 is more than I need but I can not find a good comparison tool. The URC site is lacking in that respect. Anyone have recommendations on what remote I should get or actually have the MX-980 editing software that a six pack and some tamales would take care of?

I'd definitely recommend URC. I think you will find that URC is a nice step up from Harmony. I have two an MX-800 and MX-850 and love them both. These are extremely well laid out, well thought out and high quality remotes. I will send you a PM about your software concerns.

I'd definitely recommend URC. I think you will find that URC is a nice step up from Harmony. I have two an MX-800 and MX-850 and love them both. These are extremely well laid out, well thought out and high quality remotes. I will send you a PM about your software concerns.

Awaiting the PM on pins and needles[:P].

Edit: PM received and response sent. Thanks Rich

Mike

You still keep then in that old shed in back of the house with the electric fence around it and the Bose speakers??

cb

The kids are still in the electric fenced in area but I think he turned the shed into a tool shed an kicked the kids out. The Bose speakers are blown out, not sure if it was the cheap speakers or if the kids broke em on purpose to to give their ears a rest from that poor quality sound.

I have a MX-980 on the way since there are no dealers anywhere within 4-5 hours. I will then see if my dumba** can get it programmed.

BTW Rich, I think I have everything I need coming but we will see. I appreciate the offer and may take you up if things don't materialize.

I have the harmony 1100 that I bought to replace my 1000 (that suffered a coffee spill) I have a rather complex setup and it handles it with no problem. It has more options than my 1000. I'm using the RF add on because there is no line of sight to my equipment and it works great. Years ago I had a Pronto and it was fun to program but the Harmony is easier to use and much more wife friendly. You should already be used to programming a Harmony so that should be a plus.

I agree on the Harmony 1100 and I also use the RF extender, it actually works anywhere in a 5,000 sq/ft building, w/o line of sight. It even works outside and the wife will love it....! I have replaced nine remotes, and my system is also pretty complex, also. It is a bit pricey, but I feel it is worth it, as I basically lost remotes all the time before consolidating them. I'm pretty sure that the "Sock Monster" still has a couple of them hidden somewhere.....!

W. C.

I have a MX-980 on the way since there are no dealers anywhere within 4-5 hours. I will then see if my dumba** can get it programmed.

BTW Rich, I think I have everything I need coming but we will see. I appreciate the offer and may take you up if things don't materialize.

Good to hear, I don't think you will have any problems with the programming, if anything the hardest part is knowing what all these remotes are capable of doing. If you are familiar with macros and discrete inputs you should be off to a good start, if you need any help just let me know.