"new" speakers

DWL

Recently obtained my dad's Klipsch Heresys (sp?...Heresies?). He bought them c. 1982/3...remember the day he brought them home. Anyhow, they've been used very little over the last 6 years. Any precautions or prev maintenance I should engage in before firing them up? Okay, I fired them up the other day briefly...but anything I need to do before using them regularly? Also, recommendations on speaker wire. Because of configuration of house I may need to make some longer runs than I'm used to.

Thanks in advance.

Recently obtained my dad's Klipsch Heresys (sp?...Heresies?). He bought them c. 1982/3...remember the day he brought them home. Anyhow, they've been used very little over the last 6 years. Any precautions or prev maintenance I should engage in before firing them up? Okay, I fired them up the other day briefly...but anything I need to do before using them regularly? Also, recommendations on speaker wire. Because of configuration of house I may need to make some longer runs than I'm used to.

Thanks in advance.

Speaker wire need not be anything special. Does your amplifier or receiver use tubes, or is it solid state (tube amps usually do better with a heavier gauge wire if the runs are long)? Generally, for runs up to 15-20 feet, you can use #16 lamp cord. If you have to go much longer than that, try some #12 (usually sold as "low voltage" wire for outdoor lighting, etc). There's no need to waste money on exotic speaker cables.

There's no need to waste money on exotic speaker cables.

For an audio web-site that's a surprising statement. I read it as: "No need to make your system sound better"........Is 2.95 a foot cable exotic, I'm out of step?

doesn't sound "exotic" to me russ, maybe towards the high end of reasonable though, there are many things where i avoid the very low end...

For the little extra it costs, I recommend 12 gauge cable in most cases, with 14 gauge as a minimum. This should avoid compromising the speakers' ability to reproduce musical transients properly, so you'll have more realistic dynamics.

Some of the good-quality low-priced brands of speaker cables that are popular on the forum are KnuKonceptz, Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable.

Also, althought they're not that large, Heresys are floor speakers and will sound their best on the floor in corners. There are factory risers that tilt them back a little to angle them toward the listener, but keep them close to the floor.

You can see the Heresy II version here: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-ii-overview/

And the Heresy III version here: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-iii-overview/

The issue of whether spending more for speaker wire makes a difference has been beaten to death on here too many times to start it up again. I should have said, "in my experience there's been no need to spend more for exotic cables." If $2.95/foot speaker wire sounds better to a person's ears than 30 cent/foot zip cord, then great. As far as using 12 or 14 gauge wire vs. 16 gauge goes, for short runs, with speakers like Heresys, it will make no difference (in my opinion) unless we're talking about a tube amp with a very high output impedance. Anyway, use whatever makes you happy and just enjoy the music!

There's no need to waste money on exotic speaker cables.

For an audio web-site that's a surprising statement. I read it as: "No need to make your system sound better"........Is 2.95 a foot cable exotic, I'm out of step?

doesn't sound "exotic" to me russ, maybe towards the high end of reasonable though, there are many things where i avoid the very low end...

I am out of touch. Spending $60 bucks on your stereo rig sounds like I got away cheap. Maybe not 30 cents a foot cheap but still pretty cheap. I bet some guys here spend that much on a oil change for their car, lol.

I ran 18 guage wire for 75' from my 2000watt amp to my pair of Danley DTS10 subwoofers. It was temporary (6 months :) ) because it's all I had on hand. I later changed it out to better 12 guage wire. There was absolutely no difference to my ears. The whole topic is moot in my mind.

What I love more than the speaker wire conversation, is the guys that buy expensive power cords. Somehow having 3' of fancy powercord is going to provide better power, even though the entire house is wired with the cheap stuff you get at the hardware store. :)

Anyway, congrats on your Heresies! You'll enjoy them. I'm using a pair for surround duty and will one day change out the capacitors. Not that I notice a problem, but it's kinda like an oil change and not very costly.

Geez, on this forum all of 1-day and I've stirred up controversy.

Thanks for the responses and advice. Once I figure out where the oil goes I'll be ready to enjoy.

No, not controversy... Controversy does not start unless and until someone claims to be able to hear the difference between several brands of multi-hundred-dollar-per-foot interconnect wire, or zero-oxygen-large-gage-ultrapure-drawn-between-the-thighs-of-a-virgin-on-midsummers-night-in-the-center-of-stonehenge speaker wire! [;)]

(JTNF ducks!)

Controversy does not start unless and until someone claims to be able to hear the difference between several brands of multi-hundred-dollar-per-foot interconnect wire

ME! ME! ME! Thanx for playing...................

Russ, have you ever tried swapping cables in a blind listening test? It would be interesting to note if you can tell differences by having a friend change cables without your having any idea which you were listening to. In the shop we used to have lots of fun doing that, particularly when customers insisted that they wanted/needed cables which, in our opinion, were ridiculously priced. Often, people actually preferred some crappy #20 twisted pair bell wire at less than 10 cents/foot to the latest megabuck craze. We even took pictures of their faces (with their permission) when they found out that their illusions were shattered!

Often, people actually preferred some crappy #20 twisted pair bell wire at less than 10 cents/foot to the latest megabuck craze.

If that sounds best in your system, that's what you should use. I don't let the price determine what I think a component sounds like. Sometimes the cheaper solution is the best choice, sometimes not. Thanx.