new heritage max. acoustic output

jdm56

So what's up with the 3db lower output rating of the klipschorn? The older ones are rated for 124db, while the new ones are rated 121db although they still have the same sensitivity and power handling figures. What gives? Either Klipsch's calculator is made by bose, or, or...what?

1W = 104db---------------------------------------------2W = 107db---------------------------------------------

4W = 110db---------------------------------------------

8W = 113db---------------------------------------------

16W = 116db--------------------------------------------

32W = 119db--------------------------------------------

64W = 122db--------------------------------------------

100W - 123.6875db--------------------------------------

------------------

JDM

The new squawker and tweeter are both less efficient and have a little less max. output. The difference in efficiency is about 1.5 dB, I'm told. They may not have the power handling capability the old ones had.

John

John,

Perhaps the new drivers are less efficient, but at least with the k-horn, the specs for system eff. and power handling are unchanged, yet the maximum output has been dropped 3db. It doesn't add up.

Tom,

Interesting, but I've never heard of driver compression being within the spec'd performance envelope. (Does that make sense?) Unless the specs. were wrong to begin with, that is. IOW, if a given driver is rated to handle 100W continuously over a specified frequency range, then there should be no compression within that amplitude and freq. range, otherwise it is not meeting it's own specs.

------------------

JDM

The power rating of a driver is not typically the point at which it starts to compress. All drivers compress sooner or later. For many drivers out there the the power rating number is what they can survive. They may have long since stopped increasing their output an the rate you would think. Actually, if the KHorn is within 2.6dB of the ideal you calculated at 100W I would say that's pretty good. What do you think Tom?

James McCall---Well lots of driver and speaker makers fudge the numbers or simply ignore some aspects of performence that they think are undesirable. JBL Pro is one of the few makers that dares to discuss compression and distortion. For the 2226 they list the compression and distortion at various power levels. As Trooper said sometimes a speaker is getting more power but turning it all into heat and not getting any louder at all. Sometimes speakers even have litle lightbulbs inside to dissipate power, I have some prosound passive crossovers like that, you can see the bulbs start to glow once a certain amount of power is sent. Trooper----Yeah, I'd say 2.6db of compression at full output is very good. Ever look at the maximum output curves Don Keele (one of the Horn Gods, developed the CD horns at EV and JBL) did when testing speakers for Audio magazine? The amount of compression seen on direct-radiators was shocking, sometimes 15-20db.

Tom/Trooper,

That's the only thing that seems to make sense to me; that the original spec (124db) was optimistic or just wrong. That, or the new midrange driver has a more limited linear amplitude response...I know; I'm obsessing over 3db.

cwm31.gif

------------------

JDM

This message has been edited by James D McCall on 04-13-2002 at 03:14 AM

As a matter of fact, I have used my handy-dandy Radio Shack spl meter to check sound levels during typical listening sessions, and even when I am pretty much shakin' the walls, I seldom peak at over 95db at the sweet spot. Which might equate with 98-100db at one meter. (I sit about four meters from the speakers, though I don't recall how much spl falls with distance.) So, yeah, it doesn't really matter to me whether it will do 121db or 124db -- Just curious about the change in spec.

------------------

JDM