1954 Klipschorn

davis419b

I have been after this Khorn for 11 months and finally got it today, very happy ! I dont know much about it but I have never seen one like it. The cabinetry work on the front throws me but his mother said as far as she could remember this is exactly how it looked when her husband bought it in Ft.Worth, Texas. The gentleman who purchased it was born in 1906.

post-29696-13819634934052_thumb.jpg

Does it have a sticker for te bass bin? The squawkers were made up in groups and the date on them is not necessarily the same date as the bass bin was made. The crossover may be a clue, if you could show some close ups of that and the bass bin also. There should be a serial number stamped in the wood somewhere on the base bin and there is possibly a sticker or hand written date/serial number behind the speaker door on the bass bin. Most of these old speakers were personally signed by the maker inside of the bass bin.

BTW....VERY NICE....!

W. C.

I have not been into the bass bin yet. The son of the gentleman who purchased this khorn ( who is now 65) said he didnt think the bass bin had ever been opened and I can see why. You have to remove the grill to get the panel off and I can see where you unscrew the top but not the bottom. I will probably have to lay it over on the face and see if it screws on from the bottom. This will be tomorrows project.

Beautiful! congrats! I guess this was pre-stereo days, so there's only one? I can picture it fed by a monot ube radio in the corner of a cosy coffee room :)

Funny to see those first Klipschorns were using a nice, wooden sectoral horn for the midrange... probably sounds much better than the dreadful K400 / K401!!! IMHO that horn would be an UPGRADE for the late Khorn gen!

I wonder why P.Klipsch ever felt the need to replace those. Maybe the lower cutoff was too high? (it looks big enough tho?)

i'm using sectoral horns on my Scalas and it made them sound smoooooth.....

Beautiful! congrats! I guess this was pre-stereo days, so there's only one? I can picture it fed by a monot ube radio in the corner of a cosy coffee room :)

Funny to see those first Klipschorns were using a nice, wooden sectoral horn for the midrange... probably sounds much better than the dreadful K400 / K401!!! IMHO that horn would be an UPGRADE for the late Khorn gen!

I wonder why P.Klipsch ever felt the need to replace those. Maybe the lower cutoff was too high? (it looks big enough tho?)

i'm using sectoral horns on my Scalas and it made them sound smoooooth.....

Funny you should mention the mono tube radio that was used with this khorn. He told me he still has the tube amp that his father was using with this khorn. We are getting back together in a couple of weeks to make this happen. He also has a Philco tube radio with a fold down record player that was his grandfathers that does not work but he is going to let me have it. I look forward to getting these two pieces

The K5 is a killer horn. I'd like to have a pair.

I havent had a chance to listen to it yet. It has a couple of loose wires on the crossover. I posted a thread in technical questions to see if I could get any info on where they go. If I could find a match for this one I wouldnt hesitate to pair them up.

The K5 is a killer horn. I'd like to have a pair.

I havent had a chance to listen to it yet. It has a couple of loose wires on the crossover. I posted a thread in technical questions to see if I could get any info on where they go. If I could find a match for this one I wouldnt hesitate to pair them up.

They aren't much different than the altec 511and that line of horns. Remember PWK considered the K400 to be a minor upgrade to the K5.