New member of Klipschorn family

runninshine

How did you update the crossovers? Did you get a kit from BCrites, or new crossovers, or something else? And how was the difference in sound - noticeable?

My LS had AA networks and I refreshed the caps with Dayton Audio caps (before I knew of BEC). The Khorns also had AA XOs. I just swapped over the whole board (since the LS are just sitting idle now[:(]) and the sound was like taking a blanket off of the speaker...... Less muffled might be the best way to describe. Much more clarity.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pair that I am buying are from 1984 and they have AK-2 crossovers. BEC suggest these be replaced. I'm leaning toward ALK universals. Any thoughts on these?

I don't know anything about the ALK uni's......I know the topic has been discussed a lot around here. Im sure if you do a search or post a new thread others will be able to help out much more than I can.

My goal is to update these to the V Trac's from Volti Audio at some point down the road. I could use the ALK's with the new horns.

For now, I need to get them home, cleaned up, oiled, pipe insulation on the tailboards as you did, get them hooked up and playing. This will be my first for horn loaded bass. Smile

Well finally. I am now a member of the Klipschorn family. Whoooo hooooo! I hope to get playing tomorrow.

Very cool![H] You will love them. As soon as I wake up I want to listen.....and when I get home I can't stop listening. I think my wife is starting to get bummed out about it.....oh well.

Congrats!

Now post pics!

Sterling

Finally got them moved to the man cave and tucked into their corners. Thanks to Marshal (groomlakearea51) for the great advice on cleanup and oiling. I cleaned them 3 times with mineral sprits to remove all the old oil. After a good drying, I applied one coat of Old English Lemon Oil. They will get more oil over the next few weeks.

They replaced cornwalls. All I can say at this point is WOW! I have to get the crossovers upgraded and that will probaly be it for a while. The guy had these sitting in the middle of an office floor when I picked them up. Someone who didn't know these had to go in corners would think they have great mids & highs and not much bass. That's true to get them tucked into their corners, then they come alive.

Here is picture of the right one

post-39557-13819636526122_thumb.jpg