Speakers, chilled

Rivernuggets

I think that humidity change is what kills things like pianos - which are largely made out of wood. If you are controlling the humidity (i.e., the relative humidity is neither too dry nor too wet) then the wood parts should be okay.

Speaker drivers should last longer stored in cold conditions. The only issue might be if the voice coils contract onto the magnet pole pieces due to the differential thermal contraction of copper over iron, but this would take a very low temperature (like less than -50 F). Everything else should prolong the life of the driver's materials.

My $0.02.

Chris

Edit: Here is a link to the Madison NWS site for tracking things like humidity.

I think that humidity change is what kills things like pianos - which are largely made out of wood. If you are controlling the humidity (i.e., the relative humidity is neither too dry nor too wet) then the wood parts should be okay.

Speaker drivers should last longer stored in cold conditions. The only issue might be if the voice coils contract onto the magnet pole pieces due to the differential thermal contraction of copper over iron, but this would take a very low temperature (like less than -50 F). Everything else should prolong the life of the driver's materials.

My $0.02.

Chris

Edit: Here is a link to the Madison NWS site for tracking things like humidity.

Relative humidity can be an issue if it is too high or too low.

It is so dry -10C that the wood can dry out and shrink. Antartica is actually classified as a desert.

A short blast should not hurt them but someone who works with wood would have a better idea.

I believe the real key is to make sure the warm up to room temperature before using them. This will make sure everything is back in tolerence before any of the cones and coils start moving. Humidity is for the enclosures but as long as they aren't soaked, you are probably ok. I wouldn't store them for long periods of time in a non-climate controlled area although unless you have some of that stuff that is used to absorb humidity in the boxes with them.

You may be able to store things like that in the cold if you cover them with a blanket and run a line under it with a light bulb left on all the time.

A long time ago I had a place where the washing machine was on the back porch. Using the blanket and light kept the water in it from freezing. May keep it drier, too.

I think there should not be a problem.

This is based on the obsevation that speakers in our automobiles get chilled to well under -20 degrees F and probably over 110 F (closed car).in Chicago.

Now, you may think that modern automobile speakers are somehow specially designed for this. Nonetheless, back in the old days, circa 1970, I had ordinary aftermarket speakers in the Volvo. No problem. I'd think the same was true in earlier decades too.

We should also consider shipping conditions for any speaker. They are trucked from one end of the country to the other. Wev'e seen the big rigs parked in truck stops. Temperatures in the van must vary over similar ranges depending on the locations. Therefore it is possible the units have gone through the equivalent of your garage even before you bought them..

I will point out that the voice coils are wound on a cardboard former and do not come into contact with the iron magnet. So there should not be an issue of thermal expansion differences.

Wm McD

My theory is this. Car stereos and speakers are designed for usage in harsh climates with big temperature swings. Car stereos usually sauck when they are cold, things are slower moving but once warmed up work good again. Also, keep in mind, how often to car decks go bust or something motorized stops working.

As far as speakers go, the temperature swings will definitly wreak havoc with the laminates not to mention the surrounds of the woofers. Humidity will have a role in it too. I would leave them in the house in a closet to be honest or in a basement, def not an attic.

Just to continue my thesis.

Storage temperatures aside for the moment, it seems to me likely that the performance of today's speakers depends on the compliance (spring) of the surround and spider. This probably does depend on temperature. In the old days, in cars, the whole set up was pretty primitive and there really was not much engineering behind it. Nothing was optimized at the factory. Putting 8-track stereo with a tuner and 6 x 9 inch woofers in the back and 4 inchers in the doors in the Volvo was ahead of the times.

Things have certainly changed.

I can't really speak to any distructive effects of temperature on laminates on Klipsch speakers.

I am, though, thinking about folks here in the Midwest who have summer cottages on the UP of Michigan. Similar things in Canada and upstate NY. People have all sorts of furniture, old and new. But they shut down the places for the winter and temps go in to the negative F range.

The point being that I've not seen any reports that Grand Ma's old sewing table (probably held together by hide glue) or the kitchen cabinets (modern adhesives) have delaminated over the winter when people come back in the summer. But I stand to be corrected.

Other interesting point about old gear is the admittedly low tech speakers in tube gear. The insides got pretty warm. Maybe hotter than a car in summer. Interestingly, the radio or television was used about once per day and thus we had thermal cycling 365 times per year.

Of course, it is always nice to baby your babies!

Wm McD. .

Guest Anonymous

I dont know what i was thinking but i have the perfect solution, you can store them at my house.[Y][:D] I can "store" them with my spare amplifier in the other room [;)]