The most inexpensive but AWESOME addition to my home theater...

superedge88

The various shakers can be a lot of fun. Several systems ago I had 12 of them mounted in my couch. Totally changes the T-Rex attack scene in Jurassic Park. In the theater I have 2 of them per seat now.

A really fun scene to demo the shakers to your unsuspecting victims (guests?) is on the bonus disc of The Incredibles. Try out "Jack Jack Attack" at THX reference volume. This scene starts out very quiet but have had a number of people literally jump out of their seats when it all kicks in.

Just be sure to treat them like a subwoofer with low passing them and if you can add delay just to the shakers they integrate with your main bass better. I used a programmable trigger to have them only turned on for movies.

Shawn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The various shakers can be a lot of fun. Several systems ago I had 12 of them mounted in my couch. Totally changes the T-Rex attack scene in Jurassic Park. In the theater I have 2 of them per seat now.

A really fun scene to demo the shakers to your unsuspecting victims (guests?) is on the bonus disc of The Incredibles. Try out "Jack Jack Attack" at THX reference volume. This scene starts out very quiet but have had a number of people literally jump out of their seats when it all kicks in.

Just be sure to treat them like a subwoofer with low passing them and if you can add delay just to the shakers they integrate with your main bass better. I used a programmable trigger to have them only turned on for movies.

Shawn

I honestly have no idea how anyone could need more than one of these per couch, I suppose it can depend on the mounting options within the couch and how sturdy the couch is, but I still can't imagine needing more "shake" since mine can already annoy me with obnoxious shaking levels which is why I had to turn down the gain on the amp powering them. I would love to be able to mount a series of these on the floor joists of my home, but sadly my basement is finished and I would have to tear out the ceiling to do so...

" I honestly have no idea how anyone could need more than one of these per couch,"

More let them go deeper and to not overload on the deep/loud parts. Like you said it also depends upon what you are mounting to and what that is sitting on. That couch was on a cement floor. The more springy the seating the easier it is to get the effect which is why they now make isolators for seating.

If you have the gain turned up to high they can be very annoying. The idea is to have them compliment the bass, not act as a distraction.

Shawn

" I honestly have no idea how anyone could need more than one of these per couch,"

More let them go deeper and to not overload on the deep/loud parts. Like you said it also depends upon what you are mounting to and what that is sitting on. That couch was on a cement floor. The more springy the seating the easier it is to get the effect which is why they now make isolators for seating.

So you're saying that transducers are different than speakers in that more of them will actually some how lower the frequency response that they are capable of... Not possible from what I am aware of regarding physics. I can understand the idea of being more capable of louder LFE with more transducers, but going deeper with more...please explain.[:|]

I must have a couch that is perfect for bass shaking, I watched batman dark knight at reference levels and never noticed any issue with the single aura pro in my couch running out of gas. Maybe my couches are more lightweight than most [:^)]

"Not possible from what I am aware of regarding physics. I can understand the idea of being more capable of louder LFE with more transducers, but going deeper with more...please explain"

They couple better at lower frequencies (just like multiple subwoofers will do) and the additional output ability (roughly 15-20dB going from 1 to 12) means you can tailer their response more with a little EQ. There are also physical mods you can do which will lower their resonant point, though I never bothered with that.

"I watched batman dark knight at reference levels and never noticed any issue with the single aura pro in my couch running out of gas. "

Good, enjoy it.

"Maybe my couches are more lightweight than most"

Or your floor is different then my floor. A floor that gives needs less then a solid floor.

I've been using these for about 12 years, one wouldn't get it done for me.

Shawn

"Not possible from what I am aware of regarding physics. I can understand the idea of being more capable of louder LFE with more transducers, but going deeper with more...please explain"

They couple better at lower frequencies (just like multiple subwoofers will do) and the additional output ability (roughly 15-20dB going from 1 to 12) means you can tailer their response more with a little EQ. There are also physical mods you can do which will lower their resonant point, though I never bothered with that.

After you throw in the EQ as a factor then yes you can have more
authority at the shakers low frequency capabilities when you boost at the lower
capable frequencies of the shaker without bottoming it out. Just
because the shakers are sitting next to each other won't make them go
deeper, they will just be capable of more shake at the lower frequencies. I'm not eq'ing my shakers, but sometimes ignorance is bliss
when you don't know what you're missing. So for now I am just enjoying
my loose couch and loose floor and huge savings. [:D]

Update....

I started noticing some annoying clicks & rattles coming at random from my shakers.... enough so that I started to trouble-shoot the problem.

I determined that using the Phono receiver input was the culprit.

I switched to the LD/DVD input on my shaker amp (older Pioneer receiver), and literally maxed out the volume knob to 5 o'clock. Problem solved.

Much, much more consistent rumble and no more rattling. Watched Knight & Day last night and it worked perfect.

Now I know why some people say not to use the Phono input...it really isn't meant for use other than for records. The special voltage and secondary processing does change the input signal hand ultimately plays havoc with the shakers.

I also removed one of the two FMOD 50 hz low pass filters because I read this:

http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=9

"These may be
combined to produce 24db per octave slopes if a 3db attenuator is used
between them. Keep in mind that two equal value FMOD low pass modules
will increase the slope to 24db per octave and the crossover point will
be 1/2 the FMOD value. Two 100 low pass FMODs with the 3db attenuator
between them will become a 50 low pass 24db per octave crossover. This
also holds true for combining FMODS with other equipment to alter the
crossover point(s) and to increase the slope AND in that case you do not
need the 3db attenuator. When ordering be sure to select the crossover
point from the drop-down list. Passive device so there is no noise or
distortion (transparent to your system). Color coded for crossover
point.
"

• 3 weeks later...

Well you can make your own easily. See my DIY 6" shaker picture.

1. Bolt on a couple of car radio support straps in a cross over the top with a bolt aligned top down on the dustcap in the center.

2. Epoxy the bolt to the dustcap of a small bass driver take care to keep vertical alignment so the voicecoil won't rub.

3. Cover the entire dustcap dome with epoxy & let dry. It's important the dustcap becomes very ridgid.

4. Cut the whole cone off around the dustcap be sure to leave the 2 voice coil wire parts intact. ( like wee bunny ears)

5. Use some nuts & washers to attach a 2lb free weight to the top and shazam you have got a awesome shaker!

TIPS:

All bolted points must be tight or buffered with rubber washers or tire rubber to prevent unwanted noise.

Adjusting the weight will alter tuning for better or worse. My weight could be lighter but it was cheap. I also mounted it upside down.

Your DIY shaker needs to be mounted very solidly to whatever you want to transmit lows to or it just won't work as well.

I used a special automotive flange nut (built in conical washer attached) use a small dot of tape on the bottom to prevent epoxy from entering the nut part.

http://myculvercityvolvo.com/AUVECO-3-8-16-Free-Spinning-Washer-Nut-7-8OD-AUVECO-15351.htm

This allowed me to have the center bolt screw into the dustcap making it easier to remove and attach.

Bass Transducer FAQ http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/tactile_faq.html

Also see tube for some "DIY bass shaker" videos.

post-46438-13819637406954_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm considering doing this upgrade very soon and am caught in the problem of which amp to choose. I was wondering what the frequency level is on the aura shakers and which amp to pair with them to get down that low. I was looking at the buttkickers and they go down to 9hz but couldnt find the aura info. And most amps I've seen dont have a crossover that goes that low anyways. I've looked at an audiosource amp-100 that should be able to run 4 aura's around 50 watts each and has the ability to go down to 20hz. Then i've been looking at the Dayton amps and wasnt sure which one might be a good option. SA70, SA100, APA150? The SA70 goes down to 60hz, SA100 down to 40hz and the APA150 down to 50hz. But i keep reading that where you really get to enjoy the shakers the most is below that cutoff. So I need some help...maybe other amp options?

I'm looking at starting with 4. But not sure til I really have them hooked up. I might go with 2 in my main theater couch and then 1 each in my other 2 couches. Just to see how it does and maybe add 1 to each couch if needed for a total of 6....but 4 for now. I want 2 in my main theater couch cuz thats where I always sit and its central to my screen and all my speakers so I figure upgrade my seat 1st :)

I have a question about these too. I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking at getting three aura pro shakers. One for each seat in my front row. I want to use the Dayton apa 150 sub to run them. What I am having trouble understanding is how to wire up three shakers. Everything I find shows either 2 or 4. Is there anyway to hookup just 3 or do I need to get 4 and have one seat have 2 shakers mounted (which seems like overkill on one seat). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question about these too. I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking at getting three aura pro shakers. One for each seat in my front row. I want to use the Dayton apa 150 sub to run them. What I am having trouble understanding is how to wire up three shakers. Everything I find shows either 2 or 4. Is there anyway to hookup just 3 or do I need to get 4 and have one seat have 2 shakers mounted (which seems like overkill on one seat). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can wire the three shakers in series and show the amplifier a 12 ohm load.

How do the aura shakers compare to the Clark Synthesis TST209 Tactile Transducer? I see there is more power handling and they claim 10 times the force of the aura. Are they worth the extra money? partsexpress has them for $69 but if they are 10 times more powerful you could probably get away with having less installed. Worth it? or anyone used them?

You can wire the three shakers in series and show the amplifier a 12 ohm load.

Ok, thank you. I wasn't sure if 12 ohm would have been too much. All the diagrams I was looking at showed how to wire 4 down to a 8 ohm load. So I was thinking that I probably shouldn't wire 3 at 12 ohm. Can't wait to order these and set them up!

I have heard great things about the Clark Synthesis, I might have gone with these had I not already had the aura pro bass shakers. For now I am perfectly content with the aura pros, maybe once I have about $200 burning a hole in my pocket I will purchase a couple and try them out.

One thing I have been toying around with, is the idea of how these are mounted. I know that they have to be mounted as solidly as possible otherwise they will rattle blah blah blah... but I think I might have found the reason why my aura pros are shaking my whole couch with ease. I have the aura pro mounted to a cross beam inside the couch, not near where supports intersect or attach to each other, but smack dab in the middle of one of the longest cross beams which is about 3 feet long, so where the bass shaker is mounted on that beam it is about 1.5 feet from where that beam attaches to other pieces of wood. So when the bass shaker transfers its energy to the beam it is mounted to the beam its self has a chance to shake sympathetically along with the bass shaker and effectively transfer the energy to the rest of the couch. If the bass shaker was mounted to a more rigid area then it is less likely to shake with the shaker but instead resist the shaker.

Simple little experiment that you can do to mimmic this idea if you have stairs with a railing. If the railing has a long enough stretches between mounts you can try this. Hit the railing hard with your fist where it mounts to a support, notice how it sounds and vibrates. Then move to a spot in the raling that is exactly half way between supports, hit the railing with the same force with your fist, notice how much more the railing vibrates and how much more loudly it sounds. So by mounting bass shakers to parts of the frame of seating that are furthest from joints you can more effectively transfer energy and get more shake out of your shakers. Now how this transfers to how accurate and tight the bass feels I am not sure, this would take more experimenting.