The most inexpensive but AWESOME addition to my home theater...

superedge88

I was looking to push things to the next level, really make the home theater the best it could be. I had heard how some people raved about Bass shakers and how they add a whole additional dimension to the bass impact. Well a dear friend of mine was kind enough to buy me two Aura Pro Bass shakers for about $40 a piece on Amazon as a Christmas gift. I purchased a Jamo 201 amplifier to power the two of them and wired them for a mono 8 ohm load. I placed one in each couch in my living room and held my breath as I dialed them in... WOW!

Of course I didn't spend any money on the bass shakers since they were a gift, but this is seriously one of the most impactful and inexpensive additions you can make to your home theater. I was simply STUNNED when whatching Batman Dark Knight on Blu Ray, the LFE simply rumbled at all the appropriate times with the Low Pass crossover on the Jamo amp set at its lowest point (50 hertz)

If I was to recommend a great bass shaker setup that didn't break the bank I would recommend getting a Dayton APA150 and place a couple of the Aura Pro bass shakers in my couch(es) You can even find the Dayton amp on sale for around $90 shipped on ebay refurbished from partsexpress.

The bass shakers actually give the illusion of additional audible bass, I can actually turn off my sub and the bass shakers fool me into thinking I am hearing the LFE bass.

Sidenote, I simply split the LFE signal going to my sub amp to feed the signal to my Jamo amp powering the bass shakers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Superedge, I definitely agree!

I also asked for bass shakers for Christmas, and think they are an incredibly awesome addition to my (then) 7.1 system for 'next to nothing'.

I originally mounted one shaker on each of my recliners and first tried to power them off the Dayton 150 amp...however, the effect was very disappointing.

I promptly returned the Dayton amp and purchased two more shakers...mounting two on each recliner.

Then, I dusted off my first ever receiver that I hadn't touched in years...a 150 watt per channel Pioneer Pro Logic amp...quite powerful.

I wired each pair of shakers in series off the left & right speaker output, and input my LFE line-in to the Phono input on the receiver. It works tremendously!

I didn't have to use a Y-cable for the LFE line because my Onkyo 608 main receiver has 7.2 capability....giving me a straight shot for both my Sub-12 and the shaker receiver. I also purchased a pair of the FMOD 50hz inline low-pass crossoves which work like a charm (using both back-to-back inline).

Anyone thinking of using two subwoofers should seriously consider using bass shakers or some form of transducer as the 2nd 'sub'.

I paid a total of $116 for four shakers, $9 for some speaker wire, and $25 for the FMOD crossovers...totaling only $150. Dollar for dollar, it might be the best home-theater addition I've ever made.

I've never had experience with the buttkickers, but given that they are CONSIDERABLY more powerful...yes...the buttkickers are likely that much better.

They should be better, as you are going to spend probably 3 to 4x as much money for a dual buttkicker set-up compared to what you will spend on bass shakers.

Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on a dual buttkicker set-up, but ended up giving the Aura Shakers a shot....sooo glad I did.

I am 100% satisfied with their performance and don't need anything more powerful....and saved tons of cash to boot.

It also personally makes me happy that I got to use my old Pioneer receiver instead of it sitting in storage collecting dust.

I never thought I would use it again for home theater...and bingo... it was perfect for the shakers.

I looked into the buttkicker ones as well, but I was scared away from the "death rattle" problem that many of them have had.

I honestly thought that I was going to have to end up using 4 Aura Pro bass shakers (2 in each couch) but I was able to get a good mount on a main support in each couch, tried out the shakers and only needed one per couch. Why I would need more "shake" than the Aura Pros, I have no idea! So I am more than happy with them, and have even had to turn them down a little bit to get them better matched with the rest of the system. I have read about people using old receivers to power them, which gives them the flexibility of turning the bass shaker volume up or down with the ease of a remote on the fly.

Again, for any home theater, you'd be hard pressed to try and find a better upgrade dollar for dollar that would make this much difference in how you enjoy movies! The best way to describe it is to say that it is like going from 2D to 3D.

If anyone is interested, I think I have (2) NIB Aura pro bass shakers, that I could sell. I'll look when I get home. I think I bought 6 and only ended up using 4. It has been about 6 years so I'm not sure what I have anymore. I'll post back later.

Jeremy