How to test a external amp

Inkabodpain

Ok so I was able to get on demo loan a B&K 200. 2 channel amp , I believe its 300 watts per channel .(right next to the power supply connection on the back of the receiver has a sticker it says B&K 200.5 600w) The question is how should I test it and compare it to my pioneer elite vsx 94 txh . When I do the test should I notice a considerable difference between the two. And what should I be paying attention to when doing the test What I did for my own test was played a song from the gypsy kings had master volume at 30 and left and right DB volume at +6 (same settings for both external amp and receiver).I played it in stereo mode only sound coming out of left and right no sub.. I used my wife as the test dummy . Her final result was that the dialogue sounded louder with B&K but not by much. She was not aware of when I switched to external amp or receiver .Is this a good test.

Ok so I was able to get on demo loan a B&K 200. 2 channel amp , I believe its 300 watts per channel

Reference 200.2

Power Rating @ 8 ?

225 W

Power Rating @ 4 ?

375 W

Number of Channels

Current (Peak to Peak)

Dynamic Head Room

1.2 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)

0.09%

When I do the test should I notice a considerable difference between the two.

And what should I be paying attention to when doing the test

I think you will. Play songs with bands that have many instruments in the ensemble like the Eagles or Steely Dan. With the B&K the better soundstage and imaging should be very obvious with instrument seperation very clear. I like to play recordings with acoustic guitar as the main instrument with female vocals as my demos. These type of recordings are very revealing bringing out the good and the bad.

I played it in stereo mode only sound coming out of left and right no sub.. I used my wife as the test dummy . Her final result was that the dialogue sounded louder with B&K but not by much. She was not aware of when I switched to external amp or receiver .Is this a good test.

First, "wife = test dummy", no good.[N], "wife = test model", good.[Y][:D]

More than the dialog being louder, it should be obviously clearer. Blind/semi-blind tests are the best kind.

Bill

Typically with amplifiers, their isn't going to be a night and day difference, even in the very expensive +$10K ones unless compared to very cheap ones. They end up being a matter of taste, more liquid mids, more slam, better defined bass. less grain etc. You should sit down and listen to them both for a little while and when you switch to the amplifier, after listening for a while, you realize what you have been missing, then you have to decide if the amp is worth the price - The ahah moment.

Now with that, since I believe you are using the 94 for the pre-amp, you might be hampering the sound of both the amplifiers by using that front end. B&K might sound significantly better with a good pre-amp and source so your long term value to the amplifier may not be gauged by your test being done now.

In order to do a proper test you have to have both the Pioneer and B&K level matched. If one's gain structure is higher than the other, the louder one will usually be perceived as being the 'better' one. You'll need a dB meter to do a proper A/B test of the two.

As others have said, listen for things like instruments sounding like they are being played outside the physical boundaries of the speakers. Turn the volume up and listen for the clarity of voices and instruments to sound just as good at lower volumes as they do at higher volumes.