Emotiva UPA-7 Closeout Price $599

SuBXeRo

Right, you have to match the amp to your speakers' power requirement, and the THX speakers, like all of the large direct radiators, have demands that make the UPA-7 an inappropriate choice. A UPA is plenty for La Scalas.

If your heart is set on using Emotiva amps, you want an XPA-2 for the mains and an XPA-5 for the rest of the system, assuming the subs have their own power needs met. Otherwise, your next best bet from a bang/buck perspective is a rack full of 300 WPC pro amps.

What is an example of "300 WPC pro amps"? What about two UPA7's -- one driving the front 3 and the other driving the surrounds? What do you recommend if I decide to go outside of Emotiva? I'm realizing this alittle late -- as I have the UPA7 sitting in a box in my media room (upgrading from an AVR).

Been too busy to take it out -- need to rewire everything and been waiting for time. Jumped on the sale since everyone on this forum was raving out the unit and for the cost, I didn't think I could go wrong. Now hearing that it may not be enough power... then might as well return it and get what is needed.

Gotcha. You know, I was a bit hasty and out of line in calling the UPA "inappropriate" for your setup, and it's entirely possible that for your speakers and your preferences in your room, this piece could do the job just fine and be all you want it to be. There really is only one way to know, so I'd encourage you to hook things up and see what you have before making any moves one way or another -- it will give you a lot of piece of mind and it could save you some expense as well.

I'll find some time to play around with it. The people on this forum have been especially helpful in making me more knowledgeable on how to set things up properly. I found a deal on these speakers a while ago and am just finding out what I got myself into!

I'll find some time to play around with it. The people on this forum have been especially helpful in making me more knowledgeable on how to set things up properly. I found a deal on these speakers a while ago and am just finding out what I got myself into!

I think when you do find the time, you'll like it more. Set up is SO important and even a 'theater in a box' can be passable if set up right. I'm satisfied with the UPA. I can't imagine what level of sound pressure could be generated if I really cranked the heck out of the La Scalas! By my reconing, I was pushing an average of 40-50 watts and it was loud. And clean. Unless I plan to move or take the mains outside for a party, the UPA will never have to grunt.

Will Emo ever have an XPA-7 amp? How far off?

Actually I don't think Emotiva has any plans for an XPA-7, they are going to soon release a new series with the XPR-7 which will have seven channels at 350w

XPR-7:
350 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven
600 watts
RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, all channels driven. Projected price $1999.00

XPR-5:
400 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven
800 watts
RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, all channels driven. Projected price $1699.00

XPR-2:
600 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven
1200 watts
RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, all channels driven. Projected price $1499.00

XPR-1:1000
watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven
2000 watts RMS @
4 ohms per channel, all channels. Projected price $1299.0

Will Emo ever have an XPA-7 amp? How far off?

Actually I don't think Emotiva has any plans for an XPA-7, they are going to soon release a new series with the XPR-7 which will have seven channels at 350w

XPR-7:

350 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven

600 watts

RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, all channels driven. Projected price $1999.00

XPR-5:

400 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven

800 watts

RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, all channels driven. Projected price $1699.00

XPR-2:

600 watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven

1200 watts

RMS @ 4 ohms per channel, all channels driven. Projected price $1499.00

XPR-1:1000

watts RMS @ 8 ohms per channel, all channels driven

2000 watts RMS @

4 ohms per channel, all channels. Projected price $1299.0

How soon?

How soon?

Well I think the earliest estimates I have seen were Q1 of this year, However Emotiva has a track record of being slower to release new products than they first estimate. I think we will see at least some of the new XPR line released by mid year though, this is just my guess.

I just hooked up my new UPA7 and was impressed. Using previous Pioneer Elite vsx 54 as a preamp, but all speakers hooked to the amp. I now know what yall have been talking about when you say "headroom". I would have said "calm" but I think "warm" is also an expression. My "calm" would be "less pingy" sound and more "wholistic". Secondly, I freaking realized that my bass was set at "no sound"! Imagine have two THX Ultra 2 subs and not having them rumble... then hearing the UPA7 and the subs come online at the same time. My morning has been nice...

Before I get jumped on for not knowing about the subs -- I kept hearing them in the system setups and assumed they were connected -- just couldn't find out why there was no performance. This may make you laugh (or cringe), but they have been set to "no sound" for 5 years!!!! Ha! My wife kept telling me that they "didn't sound the same as we heard in the store".!!!! Ha! now I am laughing myself...

here's my review of the Emotiva UPA-7 & what it has done by adding the 7 channel Amp to my system
(Speaker set ==> 4 Crites modded Cornscala's & 5 Crites CS-1.5 , AVR ==> Onkyo TX-NR5008 )

I got the UPA-7 as an experiment as it seemed to be highly rated & was a ideal price point for my budget . I fully expected it NOT be what I wanted/needed in the headroom,depth ,clarity,sense of seperation of instruments, detail & rich fullness of the sound
But the UPA-7 did what I was looking for ;).. I was surprised ,I really was .I did not expect it to do the job I was asking of it .
the UPA-7 will work for me with my planned 9 channels as I'll run the L/R fronts off the Onkyo TX-NR 5008 @ 145 watts & the rest @ 125 watts with the UPA-7
all my speakers are well matched in what power is needed & the UPA-7 fits the bill to exactly what was needed with the Onkyo TX-NR 5008 as that AVR drops to 76 watts pushing 7 channels & I needed 9 soo that watt per channel would drop further with the added 2 more speakers
the speaker set sounded much improved when I added the Onkyo TX-NR5008 over a TX-NR807(which will go to bedroom duty & i'll sell the TX-SR707 that's in there now)
& then with UPA-7 with the TX-NR5008 as a pre/pro it hit where i wanted to be with 7 channels . So when I add the next set of CS-1.5's this weekend . I done with adding speakers . 9 is all I can do in this room

@ this price point,I am at right now . The addition of a bigger multichannel amp is now @ the diminishing returns
factor..that being added price/wattage over any noticeable improvement
in other words I feel that adding more power would just be me throwing money to the wind as anything more powerful would really not be noticed that much if ever .
i feel i have the sound covered for many years to come .

the added power has let me keep my Audyseey crossover settings @ 50 & 40 & that is really noticeable in the mid bass reponse that the CornScala's 15" Crites AL cast Woofs really stand up & are noticed on drum rolls . i noticed a real improvement in lower male vocals( for example the Joleen song by the White Stripes ,Jack White has a real depth to his vocal range )
later today i'll put some demanding classical music on see how that sounds .
there have been debates for years on the Klipsch Hertiage line about power needed with the tube guys bragging that their low wattage tube amps only put out XX watts & hurt your ears & the SS bunch say you need wads of power ,what is really need in the running of Heritage line speakers is Clean power , a really Clean signal to make these speakers shine .
For my budget i've arrived @ what I think is best for me ,

the Crites mods done to speakers have made them super sensitive ,The CS-1.5's is just a Huge improvement over a Hersey that I can;t even compare them now to a Hersey at all .It's just that much of a difference>The CS-1.5 are in a league of their own ,It's one fine speakers that just aligns with the Heritage line soo well it's spooky !

Well Done Bob & Mike Crites !! ( don;t get me started on the cost over what a set of Hersey are even the used ones. the CS-1.5's are Very cost effective)

The Onkyo TX-NR5008 has a extremely clean signal from the beginning of the on board toroidal power supply(plus the other on-board power supplies ) to the 32 bit DAC's , the UPA-7 also has a very clean signal , all that has added up to a Clean signal that makes my system shine !
The Onkyo TX-NR5008 AVR has all the bells & whistles I need for My Home Threater , the vast multiable listening modes to the various codac's processing, Audyssey XT32 , Ultra2plus THX, the Reon chip for video processing, adding the UPA-7 to bring the per channel wattage's in line with all channels with a clean signal ,it has all fit in Very Nicely to make my room more than I expected it ever could be I will say I am WoWed . My only place I think I might need Now is some room adjustment with some acoustic treatment panels on the ceiling , reworking the entertainment center to better fit the center speaker with components , some needed work on the lighting in the room.

a needed disclaimer ::P This amp(the UPA-7 by Emotiva) will or it will Not add to your system in the way that it has to mine . Everyone's system is different & mine is vastly different on many levels to any Other Klipsch speaker system

the Crites mods done to speakers have made them super sensitive ,The CS-1.5's is just a Huge improvement over a Hersey that I can;t even compare them now to a Hersey at all .It's just that much of a difference>The CS-1.5 are in a league of their own ,It's one fine speakers that just aligns with the Heritage line soo well it's spooky !

Well Done Bob & Mike Crites !! ( don;t get me started on the cost over what a set of Hersey are even the used ones. the CS-1.5's are Very cost effective)

Oh, sure. Another quest!

Did you build or buy the CS-1.5s? If it aligns with the Heritage line, is there any other choice? I've been using a Heresy II for center for a while. If the Crites matches timbre, I know what I'll be doing next.

Oh, sure. Another quest!

Did you build or buy the CS-1.5s? If it aligns with the Heritage line, is there any other choice? I've been using a Heresy II for center for a while. If the Crites matches timbre, I know what I'll be doing next.

might as well go for 5x CS-1.5s to match your LS's.

i am very interested in the CS-1 and looking into it for my CWs.

It more than matches timbre. It can & will keep up with my CornScala's

i built them ! easy .. simple design

i "think' Bob is making the motor boards now

i did my own

the plans are on his site

Lowes cut the 3/4" Oak i'm was using the rest was a hole saw & a router

i mounted the woofs inside & the horn goes outside

doing a decorator look with round black woof grills & open horn

I just hooked up my new UPA7 and was impressed. Using previous Pioneer Elite vsx 54 as a preamp, but all speakers hooked to the amp. I now know what yall have been talking about when you say "headroom". I would have said "calm" but I think "warm" is also an expression. My "calm" would be "less pingy" sound and more "wholistic". Secondly, I freaking realized that my bass was set at "no sound"! Imagine have two THX Ultra 2 subs and not having them rumble... then hearing the UPA7 and the subs come online at the same time. My morning has been nice...

Before I get jumped on for not knowing about the subs -- I kept hearing them in the system setups and assumed they were connected -- just couldn't find out why there was no performance. This may make you laugh (or cringe), but they have been set to "no sound" for 5 years!!!! Ha! My wife kept telling me that they "didn't sound the same as we heard in the store".!!!! Ha! now I am laughing myself...

I am glad that the UPA-7 worked out for you after all. Have you gotten the snake cable from Pro Audio LA yet?