Emotiva UPA-7 Closeout Price $599

SuBXeRo

So a dedicated amp like this will be much better than a receiver with same power per channel alone (sound wise)?

Even the power is same, but the "quality" of the signal is better?

For starters, a dedicated amp like this actually has 125watts per channel. Any receiver out there with ratings such as 125watts/channel are usually rated at 1 or 2 channels driven at a time, so if you're powering all 7 speakers at once, its usually more like 45 watts/channel.

Emotiva amps (and anything with similar specs) all weigh well over 50 pounds. Any of the receiver/amp all-in-one combos usually weight in at less that 1/2 that.

So a dedicated amp like this will be much better than a receiver with same power per channel alone (sound wise)?

Even the power is same, but the "quality" of the signal is better?

For starters, a dedicated amp like this actually has 125watts per channel. Any receiver out there with ratings such as 125watts/channel are usually rated at 1 or 2 channels driven at a time, so if you're powering all 7 speakers at once, its usually more like 45 watts/channel. Emotiva amps (and anything with similar specs) all weigh well over 50 pounds. Any of the receiver/amp all-in-one combos usually weight in at less that 1/2 that.

125 wpc will pretty much, happily drive any klipsch speaker. I say that of course with a good quality power amp. it is a 125 solid watts, emotiva rates tehir channels, all driven at once and its the least amount of power they will put out. 7 x 125watts is reat for any HT, perfect for bookshelf systems. Only reason you'd wanna take it higher IMO is if you uhhh, are power hungry, plus it cant hurt, if you got the money, its always better to have more power on hand. Will you likely crank it and use 125 watts, probably not, i mean, especially with klipsch, thats effin loud.

125 wpc will pretty much, will happily drive any klipsch speaker. I say that of course with a good quality power amp. it is a 125 solid watts, emotiva rates tehir channels, all driven at once and its the least amount of power they will put out. 7 x 125watts is reat for any HT, perfect for bookshelf systems. Only reason you'd wanna take it higher IMO is if you uhhh, are power hungry, plus it cant hurt, if you got the money, its always better to have more power on hand. Will you likely crank it and use 125 watts, probably not, i mean, especially with klipsch, thats effin loud.

The FedEx truck should be here in a couple of hours!

I agree with SuBXeRo that 125 wpc will happilly drive most anything Klipsch. Way back when, I drove the La Scalas with a 2 channel 100w amp with power limiting at 50% and 25%. I never took that amp off of the 50% setting and I played my La Scalas loud. I'm really looking forward to the SQ difference. It HAS to be better than the Sony STR-DE898 amp section! (7 channel receiver rated at 100wpc. Weighs about 15 lbs.)

Xki,

It seems that you probably used the Academy as center channel before switching to the Heresy II. could you share the differences/improvements with the switch? thanks

Of course!

First, the Academy is an outstanding center. It is very smooth in response and the low end rivals quite a few mains I have heard. I upgraded from a C3 to the Academy and the improvement was immediate. The C3 is great but could not keep up to my La Scalas. It was meant for a smaller system.

I read quite a lot on these forums related to timbre matching. And that's where the biggest mismatch was with La Scala and Academy. With sweeps from right to center to left, I could easily be distracted by the timbre differences between the speakers. Short of getting another La Scala for the center, I decided that a Heresy would be the best match within my budget. The Heresy has the horns for the mids just like the La Scalas.

So, I got the Heresy and hooked it up. I was correct. The sweeps were much less noticable. Even to the point where I didn't get distracted. The timbre is much more in line with the La Scalas.

The Heresy is a little less directional but, it still has a sweet spot where 10 degrees off axis is noticable. I think 2 Heresies would be an improvement just for the center. It's really not that big of a deal. The close match to the mains is greatly improved. The Heresy does have more punch on the low end as expected. I had to turn off the subs to get the true sense of this since the center is crossed over at 65hHz.

So I hooked up F-3s for mains and used the Academy for a center. Now that was interesting! The Academy was great for the F-3s. Timbre wasn't a perfect match and yet well withing the OK range.

I've EQ's the center to get as close to the La Scala response as possible and now the sweeps are very close. The low-mids are where the difference remains. It's not very significant and for most movie source, you'll never notice. The high end of the Academy just can't quite measure up to the Heresy. As expected. The Heresy mid squaker is just that much better than a single mid/high driver. (I am a horn biggot and I just love the sound!) There is much more to play with having 3 driver ranges than just 2.

Improvements are increased sound stage focus on individual instruments, more precise frequncy reproduction, fuller bottom end, a bit wider sweet spot, and better timbre match to the La Scalas. Not to mention sound pressure. It's a bigger box and can generate a lot of 'yikes' moments during loud passages.

Disclaimer: I bought the Heresy II used and the bass driver was blown. I didn't notice for almost 9 months. Once replaced, SQ was where it should have been.

Disclaimer 2: The phase on the center was reversed. I knew something was wrong and just couldn't nail it down till 3 weeks ago. Now I'm VERY pleased.

Do I feel stupid? Well, yes!

My UPA-7 just showed up. I'll either blow out all my drivers or smile for 10 years!

thanks Xki, that was very informative.

i am in search of a center for my Cornwalls and were looking at Academy, C7, and Heresy. Academy and C7 are more readily available because these can be shipped and often shows up here as well as ebay and audiogon.

but with your information, i think i will hold out a bit longer for a pair of heresy to show up locally. might be a while, but i think it should worth the wait. plus, i am out of cash right now after picking up the UPA-7 and a pair of Crites X-overs for the Cornwalls. lol

hey, post some pics of the UPA-7...mine is coming tomorrow.

hey, post some pics of the UPA-7...mine is coming tomorrow.

Pictures will not do it justice. However, I will when I'm to a point where I won't be embarassed by the spaghetti cords! When you get yours you WILL be surprised.

This thing is really a gorilla! And I haven't even powered it up yet. BTW: it came with a trigger cord. Ain't that nice? [:)]

I will most likely post a 'first impression' over at Emo and link to it here. (I thinks that's allowed.)

I'm getting the feeling that some of us have similar tastes/loyalties/requirements. For me the lines are blurring a bit between these 2 forums. [;)]

or go to fedex and pick it up. I had to do this for both my xpa-5 and umc-1, i thought it was quite amusing though when they drove the amp to my car on a lil transport vehicle, bahahahaha, yeah, that made everything so much more exciting

I should have done that!