Cornwall Tweeter Question

BEC

Well, for my first post, I am asking for help on a set of Cornwall I's I have purchased. These are a pair of unfinished birch with serial nunbers 9P761 and 9P763. I listened to these under less than optimal conditions before purchase. I thought at the time that I wasn't hearing the tweeters as much as I should but went ahead with the purchase. At home it was immediately clear that neither tweeter was working. I took the back off one of the speakers and found that the tweeter voice coil was open. I expected to find the same thing on the second one but instead I found that the tweeter was disconnected in that one. I hooked it back up in that speaker now it sounds great.

Now to the reason I am asking for help. The bad tweeter is a K-77 and the good one is a K-77 M. Everything in both speakers is marked Klipsch and identical except for the different tweeters. If I rebuild the bad K-77, will it be a good match for the good K-77 M? Should I try to find another K-77 M or do I need a pair of K-77's.

Thanks in advance for your help on this. This forum has already been greatly helpful to me in my pursuit of good sound.

Welcome aboard!

K-77-M has slightly higher output at high frequencies than the K-77. Otherwise the two are sonically, and with the exception of the change from an alnico to a ceramic magnet, identical. IMHO ideally you want either two K-77s or two K-77-Ms. But then, you may not be able to hear a difference. Rebuilding is cheap if you can solder. An new diaphragm can be had for around $24 plus shipping from places like Simply Speakers. It will be more expensive from Klipsch. BTW it is also generally considered a good idea to replace the diaphragms on both tweeters at the same time to keept them sounding as much alike as possible.

Given that your Cornwalls were made in 1975, the correct Tweeters for that year would be the K-77's. But like Malcolm said, either version tweeter will work just keep them identical. I believe the Alnico K-77's generally cost a bit more. Think there's is a pair of K-77M's for sale on ebay now.

<edit> Sorry, Seller had two on seperate auctions and they closed yesterday. Both sold for $75.00 each.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-14-2002 at 12:40 PM

If my experience helps...

I had a similar buying situation (if you want to read it:http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000488.html)

Finally got 'em fixed. Matching them would be good. Keep the K77M and look for another on eBay. I've seen quite a few, lately-people parting-out Cornwalls, La Scalas, Heresys. If you have to buy a pair, do it and sell the ones you've got.

Or... re-diaphragm the bad one and you'll probably never know the diff, plus you'll save some bread. Just know: if the problem is a shifted magnet, the repair goes into expert status (that's what happened to me. $175 for both tweeters).

It's only money.

fini

Thanks for all the good advice. The plan for now is that I will replace the diaphragm on the K-77 and then look for either a K-77 or K-77-M to make them match. I ordered the diaphragm from Simply Speakers at $24 plus shipping.

Interestingly, in the future, I should be able to get a diaphragm almost locally to me in Morrilton Arkansas. EV (Telex) is now in the process of moving their speaker parts group to Morrilton and appearantly all the stuff is on various trucks enroute. If any one needs to know, the phone number for EV parts is 1-501-354-0111. They do not yet have a toll free number in Morrilton.

Bob

This message has been edited by BEC on 04-15-2002 at 02:03 PM

Wow, pretty in expensive. I agree, a matched set is probably the best rout to go. With the cost you said I would get two new ones. They will both be closer to eachother sound wise construction and "feel" than one from some time ago and one from today all things being equal. IMHO.