Just bought a Panasonic SA-XR45 digital receiver

wuzzzer

I've listened to a lot more music, watched TV, movies, concerts, etc. This receiver puts out some of the tightest, most detailed bass I've ever heard from my Fortes. Voices in music are the most realistic I've ever heard. Considering that virtually any of the SA-XR series can be purchased for less than $200 they are an amazing value for the money.

Considering that virtually any of the SA-XR series can be purchased for less than $200 they are an amazing value for the money.

Welcome to the club ;-) You'll never look at a big 'ol monoblock or pile of tubes with the same enthusiasm as before. And wait until you listen to it for a year or so, then visit a "hi-fi" store. The last Audio Research demo I experienced had me fervently reaching for the ear plugs. Not bashing here, seriously...but do expect your ears to become used to that creamy-smooth delivery of the XR.
  • Like 1

i am still not getting it. what's so great about the SA-RX series?

It's how they well they sound for the price you pay. Coupled with a pair of high-sensitivity speakers, the XR's let you truly hear everything. No amount of charts, numbers, or hearsay can describe the sound of one of these amps when deployed correctly. You can't help but laugh at the absurdity when you realize that you spent less for your amp than what some spend on cables or a bottle of fine Scotch, and it sounds that good. The raw data to pay attention to are that there was, and still is, significant positive discussion about these amps. There's a good reason for that.

are you saying it's better than an integrated stereo amp from the like of H/K, Nad, Onkyo, etc.?

I'm certainly not saying that. The XR's aren't exactly feature intensive, so they may or may not get much notoriety in direct comparison to other high-zoot receivers. Park the signal juggling, up-converting, and decoding aside and the most important part to your ears is the amp inside. That's what the XR's have in spades.

i am still not getting it. what's so great about the SA-RX series?

are you saying it's better than an integrated stereo amp from the like of H/K, Nad, Onkyo, etc.?

The SA-XR series is a fully digital receiver/amplifier. If you research amps like the Sonic Impact T-amp it has a similar sonic signature at over 6 times the wattage. It is by far the least expensive amplification device I've connected to my Fortes with the exception of a Sonic Impact T-amp. I wouldn't necessarily describe the sound as 'warm' or 'bright' or any adjective like that. Detailed realism would describe it the best.

The only thing I wish my receiver had was HDMI. I know at least one of the SA-XR series had HDMI inputs/outputs so as time goes on I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of them if it works out.

Pros:

Extremely thin, only a few inches tall. Weighs less than 10 pounds! Easy to navigate menus. Brings out all the detail and realism of music and movies. Amazing value for the money.

Cons:

Clunky remote. Very few models available with HDMI. Hard to find pre-owned.

should i wait for an XR45 or higher, and skip the XR25? or does it not matter?

If you can hold out for for XR55/57 or XR700, they had the latest updates in the slim chassis design and the most features. The XR700 most notably with auto-eq if that's your bag. They all sound the same though, and you can't really go wrong as long as you score a unit from a good home.
  • Like 1