Monoprice Interconnects?

smokarz

I, 110% recommend that you do not purchase monoprice rca interconnects to connect your upa-7 to your processor. They are unshielded and act as anetennas for interference. Why you ask do i say this? I ordered monoprice premium rca audio cables and had all kinds of interference from them. This is one of those things you dont want to skimp on. I wound up buying emotiva ultra series interconnects which i was very displeased with, half of the connections are super super tight, the other half are loose.

Kinda of funny that you bring this thread up today because i just bought their x-series interconnects which i have heard from many posts that they are much better quality and have a universal "snug" fit, not something that needs to be taken off with a pair of pliers or something that will just fall off, its just right. Yeah, it was just over 100 bux for 5 two meter cables but i think it will be worth it in the end.

I, 110% recommend that you do not purchase monoprice rca interconnects to connect your upa-7 to your processor. They are unshielded and act as anetennas for interference. Why you ask do i say this? I ordered monoprice premium rca audio cables and had all kinds of interference from them. This is one of those things you dont want to skimp on. I wound up buying emotiva ultra series interconnects which i was very displeased with, half of the connections are super super tight, the other half are loose.

Kinda of funny that you bring this thread up today because i just bought their x-series interconnects which i have heard from many posts that they are much better quality. Yeah, over 100 bux total for 5 two meter cables but i think it will be worth it.

Kinda of funny that you bring this thread up today because i just bought their x-series interconnects which i have heard from many posts that they are much better quality. Yeah, over 100 bux total for 5 two meter cables but i think it will be worth it.

thanks for the input Sub.

wow, i am surprised to hear that about the monoprice RCA cables. i've had great success with their HDMI and speaker wires.

i did look at the Emo wires, they sure looks nice...but a bit pricey for my wallet.

you're right, it is shielded. If you decide to buy those, let us know how well they work.

The monoprice rca cables arent shielded, i called and talked to a tech there. Its rather ridiculous IMO to not shield them at all, they are low level signal cables. they should have some sort of shield.

Monoprice HDMI cables are shielded, i have those as well and i called and double checked with them and they are shielded :)

Ok, so i may have gone alittle crazy today, of course, spending money i dont really have haha. I went ahead and bought those interconnects you were talking about from monoprice along with XLR to RCA to test. I bought the cheaper rca's, the premium ones were nice with the fancy connectors but i couldnt justify spending ~18 for the 5 connectors when the cheaper ones are basically the same. My hope is that the emotiva cables arent worth the money and i will return them. Below is my little shopping list of stuff i bought. My sony bluray player has a stressed HDMI port so it doesnt really work. I dont use it anymore either really because i use my PS3. I am basically turning it into a $114 cd player and using optical to connect it. I am using the composite connection too so i atleast have some sort of GUI if i need it. O yeah, the splitter, one of those things i wish i had on hand and will now have on hand. I bought longer IEC power cords too, i may be having to attach my XPA-5 to a different outlet, and so it goes.

12ft Optical Toslink 5.0mm OD Audio Cable
$2.68
$5.36
6ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male 16AWG Cable (Gold Plated)
$4.68
$23.40
15ft 16AWG Power Cord Cable w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector Socket (C13/5-15P) - Black
$3.66
$7.32
6ft Coaxial Audio/Video RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video)
$1.16
$5.80
6inch RCA Female to 2-RCA Male Digital Coaxial Splitter Adapter
$3.33
$3.33
6ft 22AWG 3-RCA Component Video Coaxial Cable (RG-59/U) - Black
$2.74
$2.74

SubTotal
$47.95
Shipping Method Selected
Overnite Express
S&H Cost
$4.73
Grand Total
$52.68

i got a lovely little brown box outside my door this morning around 9:30, woot monoprice. Of course i was later to workt had i wanted to be but i had to open the box to see the goodies! (Don't worry, i do commercial real estate, i can be late to the brokerage if i want to be :) ) I will try to test sometime today, but alas, the day of love means i have to clean the apt, vacuum, make dinner and yeah..so if not tonight, tomorrow.

Ok so i just hooked everything up and well, impressively enough, there is no interference from what i can tell with the rca-rca connection. I still have my own hum issue but thats not the cables. I also tested the rca-xlr and i no longer have a ground loop hum but instead i have i guess (white noise) coming through my tweeters. Basically, its the same sound as if you hadnt plugged any source into the amp but the power was on. Its not terribly loud so i dunno haha, maybe i will keep it like this.

The construction of the cheaper version of the rca's is well, cheaper. The fittings are meh snug on the rca connectors. XLR-rca are the better quality since thats all they had and those have a much better fit, snug, but easy to get off, no wrestling involved and you wont wreck the cord or the connector, it wont fall up unless you actually pull it.

All in all, i feel that the shielding is working and it is a quality product to buy. This is of course from a very short about 15 mins of playing with it. I cannnot see any fault with them.

edit:

I bought a y connector which uses the same connectors as the other cabling in the "nicer category" and they have pretty/very stif fit. i think a bit easier than the tough emotiva once i got.

Edit:

I am still using the xlr's and will continue to do for the time being. I have connected all of my channels up and i still have the hum. I am deducing that there is something wrong with my XPA-5 amp and will be contacting emotiva about it. Barring the slight static noise from the XLR (from what i have read it can induce noise like this) if the xpa-5 was working properly i should expect 0 hum noise. Now, the hum noise is not in all channels, just one, two or all 3 channels. Some of the hum is more prevelent on certain channels than others.