Two subs better than three?

shake777

It seems im enjoying my LFE more with just the one rt12d and the paradigm sub 12 instead of with the second rt in the mix. No doubt adjustments could correct the three sub issue but if the sound is about the same why not save 1100 dollars? The two subs are really a superb match. The paradigm being fast and musical and the rt being a beast that needs no mate of its kind.

Powered Sub-Woofers?

Not needed in my estimation. I have a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers hooked up to an old Marantz 510-M amplifier, and get more than enough bass -- with a 32-band EQ I can boost or trim, as needed (or desired).

After trying out several 'consumer' and 'pro' audio configurations, it became clear that space optimization, total cost of ownership, simplicity, and overall listening enjoyment were all far better with a great pair of speakers, plenty of amplifer 'headroom', and whatever media/playback inputs I hook up and switch between.

Powered Sub-Woofers?

Not needed in my estimation. I have a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers hooked up to an old Marantz 510-M amplifier, and get more than enough bass -- with a 32-band EQ I can boost or trim, as needed (or desired).

The OP is refering to the LFE channel, which you are skipping altogether with a stereo setup.

With all due respect, you can't EQ low bass out of the La Scala. It has great upper-bass (> 80 Hz) but you can forget about low (20 Hz) bass. I started out with a pair of La Scala, so I have a good idea of their capabilities.

Powered Sub-Woofers?

It's funny that people can listen to a speaker that lops off the bottom octave and enjoy the sound, but if you did that with the top octave, you'd think the speaker sounded like crap. I'm not dissin your Scalas (I've got a pair), just making an observation.

Powered Sub-Woofers?

Not needed in my estimation. I have a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers hooked up to an old Marantz 510-M amplifier, and get more than enough bass

It's not about getting "more" bass.

I'm not bashing you but this is a typical statement from someone who has not heard a properly implemented subwoofer(s) system. In fact, the "anti-subwoofer" group make their statements based on poorly implemented subs and a lack of proper bass management of some form. Once you hear it done right.....it's hard to deny. Unfortunately, most people hear it exteremely boomy and localized or completely farked up all together. [:(]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

starz, I just started using EQ with my UMC1 and it is unbelievable. Thanks for reminding me just how powerful a tool this is and I'm finding that its not for the faint of heart. Its actually a bit of an art form. Especially when you really get the hang of it and your ears become more educated. Luckily a guy who tours with Guns and Roses stopped over my place and set it up in about 15 minutes like the pro that he is. I have 11 bands for each of my five channels and its so superior to all of what I've used in the past even given the limitations of the UMC1. I'm also learning a lot of terminology that escaped me in the past. I am a bass nut though and as you see I'm looking to blow the house apart which seems physically possible...ok just for grins. Happy Holidays. Nic