Marantz 2215B problem...

jrod

I think one the channels is going out in my Marantz, is this normal for a receiver of this age? What kind of cost can I expect from a repair?

Have you cleaned your pots lately? Try a little contact cleaner in the balance pot, spray it right in there and work it back and forth rapidly. Also check your rca inputs on the Marantz for corrosion. Just a couple of do it yourselves before you drop some $$$ on repairs.

Also, what is a good price for a 2250B in good condition?

Vintage Marantz receivers used prices are all over the board. Check Ebay for completed listings in advance search.

Buy It Now
Sold
$325.00 End Date:Feb-18 04:59
Item image
1 Bid
Sold
$175.00 End Date:Feb-09 19:19
Item image
Get fast shipping and excellent service when you buy from eBay Top-rated sellers
20 Bids
Sold
$257.52 End Date:Feb-05 16:46
Item image
Get fast shipping and excellent service when you buy from eBay Top-rated sellers
Buy It Now
Sold
$22.50
Free shipping
End Date:Feb-04 19:49
Item image
19 Bids
Sold
$232.50 End Date:Feb-04 11:49
Bill

Considering its likely around 35 years old it is definately a possibility. What are the symptoms? Often they just need to have the controls cleaned. I would say $200 and under is an alright price for a 2250b in good condition. I know close to mint ones will fetch around $300 and maybe more on epay.

jrod...

russ has had them all and then some . hence hes bound to say so.but to me these marantzies are a keeper for their meagre costs . you cant believe the price i paid for em.. but the sheer pleasure they brought me,startled me big time .. i wouldnt mind spending on their repair . but thats coz the repairs here are pretty cheap and so are these gear . just that these vintages are hard to find . almost a rarity here.

with klipsch sensitivity,who cares if its 15 watts or a hundred .

Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and picked up the 2250B today. Beautiful condition (no wood case), works perfectly, only a couple bulbs out (FM, Tape 1).......$150.

Got it home and realized the 2215B doesn't have ANYTHING wrong with it. The weakness I was hearing was in a faulty connection (should have checked it, I obviously "wanted" something to be wrong with it so I could justify the 2250 purchase!), fixed the connection, everything sounds great!

So now I have two beautiful, vintage Marantz receivers...... oh well! I realized today that I am going to be one of those guys that collects this old Marantz stuff, and I'm fine with that.

russ has had them all and then some . hence hes bound to say so.but to me these marantzies are a keeper for their meagre costs

No, I have not had them all but I've been in the hobby for a long time so I've had a few pieces of gear, a lot less than some fellows. The last time I had a receiver in my system was in the mid 70s. Back in it's day the little 2215 Marantz was a beautiful little jewel but even back in their prime they were not considered to be anything more than a starter system receiver. It wasn't intended to be anything more than a entry level product. I'm glad people like and collect the vintage gear, there is certainly a lot of variety in this hobby but my only interest is helping guys advance their musical enjoyment and improve their systems. So when a question comes up about putting more money into something like that, I'm going to say, your money might be better spent somewhere else.

I understand why people like these things, they are pretty little pieces, however, sound quality wise, there are many better options.

Thanx, Russ

Jrod, happy to hear you are back up and running.

hey russ,

when i read reviews about this 22xx series marantz amps and saw the huge following ,it was pretty obvious for me that these are a better gear . but i got a bit depressed when compared em to the better gears out there .

ofcourse the reviews donot tell how good they actually are .you have to compare to believe it .

youre right that there are a lot more than these vintage marantz .

okay ,

now i wonder how the newer marantz 7001 etc etc series are gonna sound when they get compared to these old vintage amps(22xx) that have been properly restored to new. can you share your experiences

now i wonder how the newer marantz 7001 etc etc series are gonna sound when they get compared to these old vintage amps(22xx) that have been properly restored to new. can you share your experiences

Sorry, no clue. I'm not really shopping in that segment. I don't really get a chance to hear many systems short of the rare dealer demos of their best offerings. Maybe that will change in the spring when the big audio show hits Orange County. I'll get a brief listen to stuff I wouldn't normal hear.

After you have been in this hobby a while you'll look past the faceplates and just use your ears as a judge on the sound quality. That is the final arbitrator in the end. At that point you won't be shopping for specific brands but looking for the best offerings of each brand.

Thanx, Russ

$50 dollar cables? Time to move on. I've been through enough cables to know that the more expensive ones are far better. What a goof!

The lower wattage vintage receivers are often preferred over higher wattage ones for their very clean and balanced sound from top to bottom (providing you have efficient enough speakers).

$50 dollar cables? Time to move on. I've been through enough cables to know that the more expensive ones are far better. What a goof!

You are kind of new here. Some of the guys think a 50 buck cable is a total waste of money for a snake oil cable. We don't let them know about our 2 foot long Kimber KCAGs or Norquest Valhalla cables. Remember we are taking about a Marantz 2215 here that guys pick up for 20 bucks in a garage sale. Guys are making nice little systems using low cost vintage gear. They are not playing with the big boys and are just making nice vintage music systems. They would absolutely vapor lock at the thought of a 220,000 Genisis 1.2, some big tube amps and 10,000 buck pre-amps. Frankly, so would I, but I have heard some very good systems and I have had some nice gear in the past so it's hard to go backwards (like my current more modest systems). There are a few guys here that have some really nice stuff but most of this crew tries to get the best bang without mortgaging their home. Word to the wise.

Thanx, Russ

I understand what you're saying but if someone is completely content with what they have then who are you to tell them to move on from it. Not everyone is looking to have the ULTIMATE setup, some are just happy listening to the music. I meant no disrespect with my comments, I just think you should appreciate and respect someone like that. Quite frankly I wish was more content with what I have as I would definately save a lot of cash!!

Cheers all!

...who are you to tell them to move on from it...

The OP was asking how much to fix a blown 2215 (at least he thought it was blown). So my opinion was to not throw money at that particular piece of gear based on it's sonic performance. Just an opinion. The OP was not the least bit interested in that opinion, but this is a place for discussion so I offered it. Who am I? Nobody. I'm just a member here. I hope I offer good advice but I don't know a persons financial abilities, listening habits or system goals so sometimes my opinion might not fit in every situation. Hopefully that doesn't stop me from providing some value to this forum from time to time.

Thanx, Russ

• Moderators

I only have one of the older models, HK 930, I love the sound but I would imagine it could get expensive pretty fast to have them repaired. I would guess to get one worked on for just a couple of hours you could find another ?

Gotta go with Adore here, Russ.

Yes, this is a public forum (kind of), but "it's time to move on" isn't really that much help.

If you were asking for help on a blown tweeter in one of your HIII's, I hope (if knowledgeable), I would have more help for you than... "only HIII's??? It's time to move on..."

For whatever reason you chose HIII's. I would not have. Is it my place to tell you to step up to the big boys and go with some Cornwalls/LS/Khorns next time? Personally, I don't think so. It's just not very constructive.

Yes, this is a public forum (kind of), but "it's time to move on" isn't really that much help.

Yes, I see your point, it was a little too short and not too sweet an answer. What I should have said is that the cost to repair an inexpensive lower power receiver would quickly exceed the price of a replacement 2215 or perhaps even a newer, better sounding one. So if you really wanted to keep and restore a 2215 it would be more a labor of love than a cost effective repair. Sorry, you didn't know my intentions. It all turned out OK, you ended up with TWO pretty little Marantz receivers, and I'll assume you are a happy camper, no?

Thanx, Russ

Would you get rid of these guys?

post-25429-13819637486372_thumb.jpg