Speaker problem or not?

woodzyowl

I have a pair of klipsch chorus 2 speakers connected to an old TA-AX390 sony amplifier. For some reason, the left channel has much stronger bass, while having next to no high frequency sounds. I have put some homemade replacement cords on them, so that might be the problem. However, it seems as if either it is a problem with the speaker or the amp, perhaps the surround sound settings. Please, I need advice on whether or not it could be a problem with some or all of the above. Thank you in advance.

Check the usual stuff first: speakers connected to correct channels (not surround channels).

Turn off the amp

Switch the speaker connections so the left speaker is on the right channel, and the right speaker is on the left channel

Test listen and determine if the strong bass with no high frequency problem moves to the other speaker - if so, the problem is the amp; so simplify by turning off the surround and any other effects; just get it into 2 channel and test listen.

If the problem stays with the same speaker after swapping channels, the problem is that speaker... the tweeter and/or midrange may be not working. The tweeter might be blown, or it may just be your homemade wires, or loose connections inside where the wires go to the crossover, or connections from the crossover to the speakers, or those connections on the speakers themselves - you can open it up and check all of those.

See what you can find out....

Welcome to the forum.

I have my ususal questions.

Did you just purchase these, used?

Did the speakers ever work correctly?

Did the amp ever work correctly with other speakers?

What, if anything, changed just before you noticed the problem?

BTW it could be that the strong bass is subjective if the mid and tweeters are not working.

Of course I agree with checking all amp settings, check all wiring.

Wm McD

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear that you got to the bottom of your bass issue. Not to throw a wrench into the works...but... your good old sony is in the range of an honest 20 years old. If you like it (your Sony) now would be a good time to think about having new electroltic caps installed as the stock ones are good and past the best before date that came from the manufacturer. Not trying to be an alarmest as you could get another ten years on it or possibly more but none of them will sound as good as they could sound with fresh caps. The real reason for switching out is to prevent your amp from taking out your speakers should the caps fail. Caps have a set life depending upon quality and construction and how long they have been in use. So if you are one of those guys who turns his amp off and on to use you will get a longer life than if the amp is left on 24/7 which is what I do. Either way you are in the territory of soon to go. I know there will be guys with 35 year old amps sayng their amps run just fine and sound ok. Thats ok that they run still but they don't sound like they did 25 years ago. New caps are designed and built better than those from twenty or thirty years ago. On top of that new caps are physically smaller so you can most always increase the value of your main filter caps ususlly by a good margin and theat means better bass. Just a heads up to any with old electrolytic caps especially those with tube amps as the voltages are so much higher than SS amps. Best regards Moray James.

PS: same thing goes for crossover caps too. 25 years is a good anniversary to switch out to new.