RW-12 Popping issue

tmay2169

I have an RW-12 that pops intermittently when listening to surround sound blu-rays and dvds during dynamic segments such as explosions, etc. This has occurred with two separate receivers and both my blu-ray and dvd player. The side gain control is never above 60 percent. I worked with a Klipsch technical advisor over email and he believes it is the amplifier and suggested I send the amplifier board for repair. The repair is $120.00 flat fee whether it needs replaced or not. I have checked on line and they have BASH amplifiers new for about the same price. So my questions are: Has anyone else experienced this problem and is it in fact the amp. And, does anyone know if the BASH 300W and 500W amps on the market (from sources such as parts-express) are direct replacements for the factory amp in the RW-12?

It is a large room and the sub is about 16 feet from my listening area, however, my entire entertainment system sits in a set back (about 4 ft.) in the room. It is below a bumped out family room. The sub is cornered in the set back, but not right up against the wall. I only hear the popping during play back of dvd's and blu-rays. It does not occur with other material such as CD playback.

hey, i have a RW-12 as well.

I bought it brand new about 6 years ago, and after about 4 years of playing the very same thing happened to me. I called Klipsch and eventually sent in my enitre sub to their support shop. They called me back and said it was my amp. I chose to purchase a refurbashed one for $75. When it came back, (march 2010) it sounded perfect. Well, just last week my sub went out again........ errrrrrrr. so i get online and chat with someone on the website, who told me that referb stuff has a 90 day return policy, errrrrrrr. He then told me that i should call the tech support. When i called them they said that a refurb amp would be $120 !!!!! what? and a new one would be $200.... so thats when i start doing exactly what you are doing now. researching. thinking, ebaying. trying to find a way around staying with this amp that is not working for you. Well, this story has a good ending at least. I called customer service and explained myself to them and found a credit card bill with the origional fee on it and he said that he would ship me a new amp at no cost to me. sooooo cudos customer support!

full circle now- so if i were you and i could not receive a new amp for free. i might buy either this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ELEMENTAL-DESIGNS-ED-A3-250-SUBWOOFER-EXCELLENT-/330534640945?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4cf5665d31

or keep looking for other plate amps online, like oaudio. be careful though. i believe if you look at the rw-12's spec sheet, the amp is rated like 350 watts rms, and it is hard to find a plate amp out there that can do that for $200.

if i could sell my rw-12 and get some decent $$$ out of it i would totally make my own.

so your sub is busted, sorry...

2- RF-25's

RC-35

2- RS-25's

2- RB-25's

RW-12

Pioneer Elite Receiver

50" Samsung Plasma

AVS-1200 line conditioner

Thanks so much for the input. I guess it really is the amp. The tech support guy emailed me back and told me pretty much the same thing regarding purchasing an amp. He didn't offer a refurb., but said I could purchase a new one for $200. I guess that is what I will do. Could you please tell me if it was easy to swap out the amps?

Based on what the technician told me and what "Mr. Jeevis" experienced, it appears it is the same situation. I can't believe I am bottoming out the woofer if I am only setting the gain at half. I am torn though, I don't know whether to repair it or purchase a new one. I paid several hundred for this sub several years ago and the latest comparable offering by Klipsch is twice that price. I wouldn't mind paying it but I am concerned that maybe a klipsch sub isn't the best choice. Don't get me wrong. I am a diehard Klipsch fan, but does anyone have any feedback on what is the best choice to make regarding a well built and great sounding sub? Or should I fork over the $200 and purchase a replacement amp?

I see from your profile that you have RF-7's and Heresy III's. Which do you prefer, or is it based on source material? I find my RF-35's a little brash with most sources. I have an old pair of Quartet's which I loved for many years. They sound smoother, but given their older design and materials they don't have the sharp detail that I hear from the RF-35's. I have read a couple of good reviews about the new RF-7's and I am considering updating my fronts and surrounds, but I listen to a lot of music so I am more focused on the front channels.

The Reference and Heritage speakers are basically apples and oranges. I like them both. They each have strengths and weaknesses. I've got my Reference speakers set up in a HT configuration. Concert Blu-rays are absolutely phenominal. Extremely dynamic and non fatiguing. My Lascalas and H3's are set up in a 2 channel setting. Crisp, clear mids and highs but slightly lacking in the bottom end. I've made a sub for the Lascalas and crossed them over so they only play 70 Hz and up. They sound REALLY nice with a sub rounding out the bottom end as they do so well with everything else. There's not much bad to say about the H3's, they did a great job when they updated the H2's. I've got a pair of KP-250's (industrial Heresy's) that I use outdoors for parties, they absolutely CRANK!

I say all that to show how much I love my Klipsch speakers, but I'm not a fan of their subs. Take a look at offerings by Elemental Designs, SVS and HSU. It's time to cut your losses.

I did a little research. There are lots of reviews and accolades for the SVS and HSU subs. Not much for the Elemental Designs, but you seem to get more bang for the buck (wattage) with their subs. I doubt I'll get any opportunities to hear them for myself, so do you have any suggestions or preferences? Since, I guess I need to make a new purchase, I am definitely trying to keep the price under the $1,000.00 mark.

With that budget, you'll be blown away with any offering compared to your last sub. I've owned subs from SVS, the subs are great and their service after the sale is exceptional. HSU has the same reputation as SVS. ED is a newcomer but is building a good reputation. They don't have the fancy finishes of the other brands but they offer the best bang for the buck of the 3.

klipsch rw12ds are back on for 350 on newegg with promo code, ed's seem to be hit or miss ive read many bad reviews and some horrible stories on ed blaming either shipping or user error causing bad subs and trying to pass off responsibility, had svs before good company great subs, epik is another one to look at ive read nothing but praise there as well, the hsu i guess are more musical but not much for digging deep

If you want to keep the driver, my vote is to do something like this. It'll kick the crap out of the RW-12d package.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294134

I think their NSD's are sealed subs. You'll get more output from a ported sub, if that's important to you.

NSD is the woofer. You can get it in a sealed or ported box/cylinder.