Switching to Behringer 2500 to power my mains instead of Marantz monoblocks?

superedge88

I'm always trying to get the best bang for my buck in this home theater
hobby. I currently have two Marantz MA-700 amps powering my Klipsch
KLF-30's. I am wondering if I could expect similar sound quality if I
sold my two Marantz MA-700 mono blocks and bought a Behringer 2500 two
power the KLF-30's. I would be able to pocket some cash, gain some
headroom, and gain the long term durability of a pro audio amp that
would never be pushed anywhere near its limits. Is this idea blasphemy? I could end up with about $250 in my pocket by doing this switch.[:^)]

Not blasphemy per se, but I'm skeptical. Marantz makes a mighty fine amplifier.

The EP2500 is gone, replaced by the EP4000. Same innards, new rating and model number. An Emotiva UPA-2 costs $20 more than the Behringer and will give plenty of juice with no fan noise, and I know the UPA-7 sounds really good with my La Scalas. I haven't hooked up the Chorus IIs, though, and they would probably be a better comparison to the KLFs.

Anyway, food for thought.

The EP2500 is gone, replaced by the EP4000. Same innards, new rating and model number. An Emotiva UPA-2 costs $20 more than the Behringer and will give plenty of juice with no fan noise, and I know the UPA-7 sounds really good with my La Scalas. I haven't hooked up the Chorus IIs, though, and they would probably be a better comparison to the KLFs.

I'm aware that the EP2500 is the older model, which is why they are available used for under $200 in some cases. Is there a reason why the behringer shouldn't produce good sound quality?

Do you need more headroom than the Marantz provide? Are the Marantz not "durable"? Are they pushed to their limits? Do you need cash? I don't get this, since I've been very satisfied with Marantz for my solid state listening for years. If you were moving to tubes, I'd understand, but this doesn't compute with me.

SSH

Do you need more headroom than the Marantz provide? Are the Marantz not "durable"?

I would have to agree here. Those MA-700's are very musical monoblocks and offer plenty of juice. Where else can you buy 200w/ch monoblocks for less than $500.00/pair? Super bang for the buck. I have used them in many different applications and found them to be durable, musical, and provide plenty of headroom for my Fortes, Heresys, RB-5's, and RF-63's.

Bill

I think the Behringers are an incredible bang for the buck amp, but I'd only use them for sub duty. Critical listening, not so much. To my ears, they're not as good sounding as the Crown or QSC's. I can't imagine they'd compare favorably to a Marantz.

I'm aware that the EP2500 is the older model, which is why they are available used for under $200 in some cases. Is there a reason why the behringer shouldn't produce good sound quality?

Other than the notion that it's a cheap knock-off of a QSC-2450 that's produced with inferior components in order to meet a price point for clubs, bands, and DJs on a shoestring budget, while your Marantz is a high quality piece designed to sound really really good to audio weenies who think paying more for things that sound really really good is a good idea, I can't really think of any.

sounds to me that you want a change? Marantz is a very good brand. I havent dealt with berhinger at all so i really can't comment on that. 200 wpc is a alot of power and your marantz monoblocks should yield all the necessary usable and unusable power that you would ever really need to power your setup efficiently.

Personally, crown and qsc, gli etc are just dj amps to me, used in large scale audio setups where audiophile quality isnt such a critical concern. but then again, thats just me. Those brands are all very high quality amps, i had a gli when i did some djing and well, crown and qsc are everywhere. I would stick to the mor home theater driven systems. Can/do you hear a difference? Id unno, i never pitted one another in a controlled environment to give you a good stern answer on that. Being that i havent done that, id say i am more inclined to just buy a home theater driven brand

Personally, crown and qsc, gli etc are just dj amps to me, used in large scale audio setups where audiophile quality isnt such a critical concern. but then again, thats just me.

Oh ye of little faith.

If you ever have occasion to come to TX, stop by. I'll break some of those stereotypes for you.

Personally, crown and qsc, gli etc are just dj amps to me, used in large scale audio setups where audiophile quality isnt such a critical concern. but then again, thats just me.

Oh ye of little faith.

If you ever have occasion to come to TX, stop by. I'll break some of those stereotypes for you.

will do haha, im always looking to expand my knowledge and comparison basis.

Wow i have both these amps and the behringer wins over the marantz IMHO ......in tone way way more head room paired up with a good pre amp they rock best bang for the buck. I got the 2500 to just run a sub at first and then tried on my klf 30"s and has been running them ever since.I can"t even hear the fans from 10 feet away they are very musical.Just make sure they get the right singnal from you pre amp...They do sub duty excellent.Ihave compaired them A.B tested them to side by side to other pro amps for the money of these behringer 2500 amps you can"t go wrong.Its all in the singnal the pre amp gives them.