Faital Pro HF200 in 3way?

I have a set of Faital Pro HF200s coming my way and have a pair of Selenuim D220ti drivers.

I realize the general wisdom is that a 2way will be more coherent, etc.

Does it make sense to use a Faital Pro HF200 in a 3ways Cornscala or leave it to a 2way?

Any thoughts on a good choices for the horn/horns.

Thanx for the input

Guest David H

3 way is fine, maybe better depending on the horns you choose. My original plan for the HF-200 was for 3 way, however it tested far better than expected, and we were able to use it 2-way.

Dave

On my budget I was thinking the PH2380/M2380 horn and the Selenium HM17-25 Babycheeks for the tweeters.

In an idead world the cricletrac or elipetrac horns.

Geting a passive crossover that I could try as a 3way or 2way would be key. Not sure I have the 4 for R&D like that :-(

If you're gonna go with a passive xover, then 3-way would be easier to design....though if you're not gonna do measurements to dial in the xover, then I would recommend finding something pre-engineered. There is a lot of finesse to xover design, and if you get it wrong, even the best components can sound crappy together.

I'm personally a fan of 2-way with active xovers

Bob Crites has a passive 2way crossover developed for Fatial and his woofer.

Im just wondering if its worth beging/negociating the development of a 3way and building it that way?

I had bought the D405 driver and sold it after seeing how flat the response is for the Fatial.

Guest David H

On my budget I was thinking the PH2380/M2380 horn and the Selenium HM17-25 Babycheeks for the tweeters.

In an idead world the cricletrac or elipetrac horns.

Geting a passive crossover that I could try as a 3way or 2way would be key. Not sure I have the 4 for R&D like that :-(

Understood, you may want to take a look at the AP-12 500 $239 from ALK as a 2way, if you decide to go 3-way you can add the AP-15 6000 or the ES5800.

Dave

Don't forget, if you use Al's AP-12 for a two-way, you'll need to add in some contouring if you end up using a CD type horn. Usually just a couple of extra components added to your passive high-end circuit.

Interesting, so there may be a way to go 2way to 3way?

Bob said he had done a bit of fine tuing... I wonder if ALK option will work as well, without the fine tuning. Crossovers seem like a blackhole... black magic!

Although relatively complex, the math/physics are actually rather straightforward. The finesse part comes in by knowing where the system can get to, and then using the measurements to help you get there. Good crossover design involves a lot of listening to find a good compromise between all of the many and often opposing variables.

I think many audiophiles would be surprised by how much of an impact the voicing of a speaker can have on the perceived performance of the speaker.

It feels like you have to pic your religion.Ive bought lots from Bob and have enjoyed his crossovers. Both ALK and Crites have great stuff.Given the use of the Fatial HF200 would the Selenuim D220ti be addative or ? Are there significant improvements by using a 2way instead of 3way. The Crites CS1 i build is much more coherent than my Heresys. The M2380 horns were used by Bob to voice his 2way... (As I understand it). Would ALKs APt12-500 need any adjustment to run well as a 2 way?Anyone using the HF200 as a 2way or tried it out as a 3 way... which did you like and why?

Thank you for the input!

Guest David H

Is the horn you are running CD?

You might want to ask Bob if he is using a contour network on his 2 way Cornscala. I dont believe he is, I thought it was a second order at 500 hz.

Dave

He sugests a JBL 2380 Flat-Front Bi-Radial... which is not a constant Directivity Horn? or is it? (I wanted to us the M2380/PH2380 for its price.

I do believe its a 2nd order set at 500hz, not sure how to ask or tell if a contour (Is that the right phrasing?) network?

Guest David H

He sugests a JBL 2380 Flat-Front Bi-Radial... which is not a constant Directivity Horn? or is it? (I wanted to us the M2380/PH2380 for its price.

I do believe its a 2nd order set at 500hz, not sure how to ask or tell if a contour (Is that the right phrasing?) network?

Bob may chime in here, if not ask him if the 2380 horn requires EQ'ing when using the Faital pro HF-200. I thought he mentioned it has a reasonably flat response.

Dave

JBL-2380 is CD above 2Khz

Flat-Front Bi-Radial® horns are designed for flush cabinet mounting or compact cluster applications. With various coverage angles available, these horns provide uniform on and off axis frequency response from 400-500 Hz to beyond 16 kHz. The horns' small vertical mouth dimension (just slightly larger than the compression driver used to drive each horn) allows very compact single and multiple horn/driver systems to be put together. In addition, the exceptionally consistent horizontal dispersion eliminates the midrange narrowing and high frequency beaming problems typically associated with conventional horn designs. The need for horn overlapping is minimized and lobing and comb filter effects are virtually eliminated.

Computer-aided design techniques were used to derive the horn contours in the horizontal and vertical planes. Utilizing sidewall contours based on a polynomial power series formula, the horn design yields smooth response, low distortion, and even coverage. This design avoids the performance disadvantages of horns that feature sharp flare transitions and flat sidewalls. The BiRadial® compound flare configuration provides constant coverage over defined, solid angles. To ensure light weight, superior strength, and freedom from resonances, the horn bell is constructed of molded structural foam.

The M-2380 is a clone of the JBL-2380 horn. I have used the M-2380 for a long time as a midrange horn. This two way Cornscala is the first time I have tried it as the horn in a 2-way rig. But works good with the Faital driver. My crossover I am using is a 2nd order crossed at 500hz. During early testing, I also used ALK's AP350 crossovers. FR looks good with that crossover also.

Bob Crites