THX Ultra 2

JasonJCarney

• Moderators

My understanding is that for movies, they are really great speakers.

There is a brand new KL525 on Ebay for $900. That would be $1800 for three brand new LCR's. That's really only $100 savings per speaker so I would say that's not a fantastic deal. Not saying that is a bad deal either. Just an observation. I would see if he would be willing to take less.

I actually am very happy with my f3 setup but I heard the thx ultras are a different world for movies. The price is 60 % off $1200 each. So I'm looking at $480 each. It is a local store going out of business sale. Floor models but look to be in great shape. I believe they have 2 subs and a 1000 watt amp from the same line for sale as well but I don't know how much would be a good deal on those

• Moderators

Man. I even took Trig and Analytical Geometry in High School....now I can't even do basic addition. LOL Ok, so it looks like it would indeed be a sweet deal.

Does he have them hooked up so you can demo? Your ears will tell you if it's worth the upgrade.

I've owned those. But first, you don't clarify if its the KL525's or the KL650's. Both were used for LCR's in that system. The 525's are known for being much less of a performer. If it's the 525's I'd pass. If the 650's it's as good a buy as I've seen on new ones. I sold mine a year old for several hundred more than that.

Can you describe your room with dimensions? If it's larger than 3000cf and you expect reference level, they won't cut it. That's why I sold.

The subs have a great deal to do with the high reviews of the system. So don't get the LCR's and think it will be life altering without subs that can keep up with them.

Also, be prepaired to go with a nice separate amp or THX U2 rated receiver. I blew a compression driver in one by using a lesser receiver. Changed to an XPA5 and they were new speakers!

sorry...so these are kl650's. The sub's are $600 and the 1000 watt amp (provides power for 2 subs I right?) is $700. So looking at $3300-$3400 range for all 6 pieces. The room is a basement home theatre only that measures 10x17x7 so well under the 3000 cf you made mention of. You say that you didn't get reference level out of them and so you sold. I heard these exact speakers in the same roon (display room at the store) with a set of rf 82's and I didn't think they were close (m,eaning the THX ultra's seemed far superior). The demo was movies only no music. When you say reference level are you talking about a klipsch rf82 comparison? As for the AVR I have a THX certified onkyo but it only output 100 per so do you think that could be an issue?

You say that you didn't get reference level out of them and so you sold. I heard these exact speakers in the same roon (display room at the store) with a set of rf 82's and I didn't think they were close (m,eaning the THX ultra's seemed far superior). The demo was movies only no music. When you say reference level are you talking about a klipsch rf82 comparison?

When reference level is referred to, it usually means this

http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-technology/thx-reference-level/

or some variation of.

Bill

Jason, Bill is correct. I was referring to volume level. Peaks of 105db in your mains and 115db from the subs.

With your room size, that system with the 650's and the two subs will KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF! And easily play reference level if desired. And I agree, will be noticably improved over the RF82's.

The prices are among the best I've ever seen. But the big plus is, you've heard them and liked them. I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO BUY THIS SYSTEM AT THIS PRICE!

Let us know what happens. :)