Another Item Re Posting Pictures

WMcD

I hope our moderator will add this to Noah's description on posting pictures.

Please reduce the size of your photo before posting. People are uploading photos in high resolution just out of their camera and cell phones and they are often Megabytes in size. That just eats up space on the server and increases download times.

On the forum we only see about 640 x 480 because the forum's software only displays that much.

You can use MS Paint to reduce the size of your photo.

Open MS Paint from All Programs and then Accessories in Windows. Then open your photo. You'll see it probably can't all be seen at once.

Click the drop down menu for Image. You'll see "stretch - skew." It is set by default at 100% for horizontal and vertical. Reduce both those to 30% and you should get a more reasonable size. Play with it if necessary. Going to 30% in both reduces file size to 1/10th of what you started with.

Then you can upload that smaller file.

If you have a photo or schematic which you believe deserves full resolution, please convert to .pdf and upload. If you have multiple files, you can put them in a .zip folder. But here too, think about the overall amount of data. The good part is that people who want to view these file types can download and it doesn't bog down the display of the thread.

Best,

WMcD

It sounds good to me as long as it does not become a "rule" or software enforced limitation.

I understand the download limitations of some types of connections.

But, would you want to limit everyone to 300 baud or 1200 baud speeds?

Sure, thats silly; who has a 300 or 1200 baud connection anymore?

The answer to that question is "I don't know".

I know there are still folks on 2400 baud connections but I don't to be limited to pictures that would download quickly at that speed.

Not 4800, 7200, 9600, 115,xxx or 384,xxx...

Bill, I know that you are not trying to limit MY connection speed but we pay for our connections so we can get content.

And requesting content on a picture at a time (or group of pictures) basis is not what I really want either.

With the understanding that storage space is not really a limit anymore (1 Terabyte drive @ $50 today) I have an idea that might satisfy both camps.

If I have HiRez pictures that I want to post, I will add "HiRez" to the post title.

When I can, I will create two posts; one with HiRez in the title and one with LowRez in the title (and the re-sized and or lower resolution pictures in the post.)

In the buy and sell section, I am disappointed when something that I might want to purchase is not shown in HiRez.

If a seller wants to sell it to me, he is making a mistake by asking me to request the good (high resolution) pictures by email.

Sadly, some of those "pictures on request" posts are nothing more than email spammer lists creation methods.

My bottom line is, i don't want my content limited to the lowest common denominator and I bet you don't either.

Do you remember 1200 baud?

With respect,

Noah

With the understanding that storage space is not really a limit anymore (1 Terabyte drive @ $50 today) I have an idea that might satisfy both camps.

Easy for the person at home. A server will have an array, where the drives usually all have to have the same drive geometry. It is unfortunate, but not as easy as just plugging in another drive or two to get more storage.

Repsectfully,

Bruce

Marvel,

you are right, I know.

And you know that a 1 TB drive could be hooked in and mapped to but would be worse than useless in this situation.

Been there and did that for the few techs we have in the field (in out 5,000 seat network) and even in THAT limited situation, painfully slow.

I just wanted to illustrate that the price of storage has come way down.

I guess I should have done without the faulty illiustration...

and just said "the price of storage has come way down" .

respect returned in kind,

Noah

For Windows XP users, here is an Image Resizer application (right side of screen, 5th from the bottom). It's a simple add on - takes seconds to install. After installation you can right click a picture, then click 'Resize Pictures'. You have the option of xtra small, small, medium, and large. Medium and Large work well for posting. It creates a duplicate picture, or you can click a box to resize the original.

Glad this picture posting is obvious and on the front page for newcomers. [Y]

edit: HERE is one for Windows 7. Left side of the screen shows you what it looks like when using. This one is not Microsoft affiliated, but I installed this months ago on our laptop without any problems.