Any comments/opinions on NAD amplifiers?

Kain

How are they? How do they compare to Rotel, Parasound, and the like? I noticed NAD specifically mentions the 2 ohm output of their amplifiers while Rotel and Parasound do not. Is this because they can't handle 2 ohm loads or is it because they just don't state it (for some reason)?

However, I did notice that on Parasound's NewClassic product brochure, for the 2-channel amplifiers, the 2 ohm output is mentioned, but for the 5-channel amplifiers, only 8 and 4 ohm output is mentioned. Any reason for this?

I own some NAD gear and have owned some in the past. I think NAD really does put the "music first" philosophy into their products. The amps I have owned have been very musical and much more powerful sounding than the published specs suggest. From my experience, NAD amps(and my T773 receiver) have no problem driving difficult loads.

NAD somewhat started the concept of "best bang for the buck" gear where the likes of Emotiva has followed their model.

What NAD amp are you considering?

Bill

I agree that it seems NAD alway outperformed the specs. I have a NAD 2200 (100 Watts) that outperforms a few 200 Watt amps I have heard. It will depend on the model you are looking at. NAD always did "bang for the buck" because it came in any finish you wanted as long as it was dark grey. The built good equipment especially for the price. Ask about some specific models and you will get more accurate feedback.

I'm looking at the NAD T 955. Will that be enough power to power the my RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7s to reference level with ease in my small room? Currently, I'm using a Harman Kardon AVR 8000/8500. I listen LOUD! [;)]

How would the NAD T 955 compare to the Rotel RMB-1575? I know they are in totally different price ranges but still.

Quick question regarding the Rotel RMB-1575: On the Rotel Web site, it states 250 watts x 5 at 8 ohms and 500 watts x 5 at 4 ohms. What about 2 ohms? Can it not handle 2 ohms or do they just not list the 2 ohm spec?

I'm looking at the NAD T 955. Will that be enough power to power the my RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7s to reference level with ease in my small room? Currently, I'm using a Harman Kardon AVR 8000/8500. I listen LOUD! Wink

Truthfully, if you are to get the NAD T955, I would either use it for the (3) front channels and let the HK handle surround duty or use it for the surrounds and let the HK handle the front soundstage. If I had to guess, both the HK and NAD are honest(if not very conservative) in their specs and either should perform just as well with the front soundstage and really nice splitting the duties.

You might be better off just getting a NAD 2-channel amp(208THX, 218THX, C275BEE, C272) and using it for the fronts only and the HK for the rest.

Quick question regarding the Rotel RMB-1575: On the Rotel Web site, it states 250 watts x 5 at 8 ohms and 500 watts x 5 at 4 ohms. What about 2 ohms? Can it not handle 2 ohms or do they just not list the 2 ohm spec?

If the Rotel "double downs" into 4ohms, you need not worry about 2ohms. Besides, the RF-7's have only a couple of 2.8ohm dips. Not sure at what frequencies.

Bill

I agree that it seems NAD alway outperformed the specs. I have a NAD 2200 (100 Watts) that outperforms a few 200 Watt amps I have heard. It will depend on the model you are looking at. NAD always did "bang for the buck" because it came in any finish you wanted as long as it was dark grey. The built good equipment especially for the price. Ask about some specific models and you will get more accurate feedback.

I had 2 NAD2200's that I ran as mono-block amps for awhile in a 2 ch set-up that I no longer own. I really enjoyed them and I like NAD's products. I ended up going w/ a B&K reference amp don't remember the model anymore, and felt it was a little "warmer." The NAD's had a ton more head-room though... Before I decided to go seperates I was just about sold on one of NAD's recievers. I would reccommend NAD products...

• 3 weeks later...

I am very, very happy with my NAD 272 power amps (150 wts/channel). I have two of these two channel amps ( a total of 4 channels). I use one of them for my front left and front right, and the other one for the center and one of the surrounds. They got a very good "bang for the buck" review from The Absolute Sound. They emit no hum and almost no hiss from Klipschorns, which are so efficient that they can transmit hum/hiss from almost any amp.

That brings me to the one NAD component I'm not satisfied with: the now obsolete T163 AV tuner/pre-amp, which I'm now replacing. It was highly recommended in magazine reviews in 2005, but it has hum (60Hz and 120Hz) that is easily revealed by my Klipschorns and Belle Klipsch. It would probably be fine with less efficient speakers. The hum is there even with the volume control at minimum, and only "mute" will kill it. Yes, it goes away when the T163 is turned off, therefore doesn't come from the power amps. I sent it in under warranty repair in 2005, they made minor changes, pronounced it up to spec. Their service may have improved the hum very slightly.