NAD M3 with Klipsch Cornwall III?

KMV

[8]

No but I'll take a SWAG (Scientific Wild @SS Guess). The house sound of NAD would work very well with Klipsch. Almost a no-brainer.

NAD + Klipsch Heritage = [Y][8][:D]

It would defy logic if that combo does not work.

Bill

NAD T763 HTR driving Quartets for a year, followed by LaScalas for the last four or so sounded great in my theater.

NAD 114 pre-amp fronting a NAD2240PE amp also sound wonderful with Cornwalls (six months or so) followed by highly modified Speakerlab-Ks (for the last 18 months or more.)

Solid State and very high efficiency can be tiring... NAD+Klipsch Herritage is a combo listening to which I've never suffered.

Music

No but I'll take a SWAG (Scientific Wild @SS Guess). The house sound of NAD would work very well with Klipsch. Almost a no-brainer.

NAD + Klipsch Heritage = YesMusicBig Smile

It would defy logic if that combo does not work.

Bill

first that is some signature block. Most would say, NAD is a great match. I have an old NAD 208 amp and when it was in use (before HT) it sounded great.

I have an NAD M3 that has at various times been hooked up to KHorns, LaScala's, RF-83's and soon RF-7's. While I like the sound of tube better with the KHorn's and LaScala's, the M3 did an admirable job, and is a good option for someone not into tube for whatever reason. Bought it as a demo piece when I picked up the NAD Master Series line, and liked it so much I left it hooked up in my basement.

Unfortunately, my only experience with the M3s was a few years ago on some small cheap bookshelf speakers, thus, I really didn't get a full feel of the amp's character.

Just curious, did the M3 sound thin or produce any glares at mid-highs with the heritage series - or, did it sound sweet, velvety and smooth through out the entire band. Also, how was the bass? I read some reviews online that the bass was a little weak and thin on the M3, and other opinions that say it is just right. Do you remember how the bass was on the LaScalas.

The only reason why I'm avoiding tubes is because I'm lazy. The only affordable tube amps I've come across, that actually have an the auto-biasing feature, utilize push-pull topology, whose upper frequency glare really turned me away (may be it was just the specific ones I've hear) - although they do display authority in the lower end of the spectrum. Single endeds on the other hand severely lack bass control, don't have very long tube life, and do not typically come with auto-biasing (even so, SE topology's midrange is un matched to anything else in the world PERIOD). I know that bi-amping SE with an SS like B&K is an option to consider, however, I do not want to spend more than 3g. If you have any tube or biamping suggestions for under 3g, I'd be happy to give them a shot (unfortunately, I do not want to get used equipment - I've my share of issues with this in the past)

Thus, I was just wondering how NAD M3 might sound.

• Like 1

The bass is definitely not as strong as the LaScala's needed, but not bad for the KHorns. I really prefer the sound of my Primaluna Prologue 2, but I need to sell it to pay for the 8wpc SET 300B amps I am going to use instead. Since the Primaluna is affordable and auto-biasing, it may be one of the ones you looked at. I have been very happy with it, other than lack of remote control. Itis well worth the money when compared to other integrated's near that price range.

The bass is definitely not as strong as the LaScala's needed, but not bad for the KHorns. I really prefer the sound of my Primaluna Prologue 2, but I need to sell it to pay for the 8wpc SET 300B amps I am going to use instead. Since the Primaluna is affordable and auto-biasing, it may be one of the ones you looked at. I have been very happy with it, other than lack of remote control. Itis well worth the money when compared to other integrated's near that price range.

Were you using the factory supplied KT-88 tubes with the Primaluna Prologue 2, or were you using something else like the EL-34's?

• Like 1

What do you think of a Primaluna Prologue Three preamp with a B&K 200.2 main? I'm sure this might go well with my Cornwalls, refined, with sufficient bass.

• Like 1

I have the stock KT-88's. There is plenty of bass from this setup with the RF-83's, it was just the La Scala's having a little issue with "low" bass. Problem would have been resolved with a nice sub supplementing things.

As for the PrologueThree with a Bryston, I am sure that combo would sound pretty good. Right now I am debating what to buy as a pre to go along with my 300B SET amps.

I don't have experience with the M3 and it has a good reputation for sure but I've read a Hifi+ review saying it sounds great AS LONG AS YOU ASK SOME VOLUME from it, otherwise it sounds thin. That would be a serious problem with Klipsch Heritage speakers, if true: provided you're no headbanger and like to listen your music sometimes at a normal domestic level (with a cornwall it means around 0,01watt average) you need an amp that sounds good at low power too. Otherwise you end up listening always louder to get a full sound.

Now the review might be wrong -it's just a magazine- and the best thing would be to try it yourself. It's more a general warning about big power on Heritage speakers: some of them, while great, don't match.

Single endeds on the other hand severely lack bass control, don't have very long tube life, and do not typically come with auto-biasing (even so, SE topology's midrange is un matched to anything else in the world PERIOD).

Bass control will improve if your crossovers have a constant impedance, so the load to the amp doesn't vary too much.

Been using the same tubes in my 2A# Moondogs since the middle of 2006. Seems pretty good to me, and the Welbornes are auto-biasing. If you can find someone close by you who owns a pair, try to arrange an audition.

The detail for midrange and upper end is superb for the money.

Bruce