looking for a tube amp ! all im asking is 20 watts .....duh

quadklipsh

as always ,the whole klipsch story ultimately comes down toTUBES ( imho) giving THE best results for low to moderate vol listening in a small to medium sized room compared to other amplifier categories in general.

henceforth , i set my eyes on a couple of amps to work on.but they were pretty expensive for me .

i wonder whats the bare minimum amount needed to get hold of a tube amp , a good quality amp!!!

are tubes usually better contenders at sound neatness and quality compared to S.S. class A designs ???

Why don't you give the Panasonic SA-XR series a try? Obviously not tubes but they're a significantly less expensive investment than most any decent tube amp that you're looking at. The two that I've tried are by far the best sounding amplification I've ever heard with my Forte IIs which includes:

harman/kardon HK3490 integrated amp, Sonic Impact T-amp, Rotel RB-980BX amp w/matching pre-amp, Onkyo TX-SR805, Marantz SR7001, Marantz SR7001 w/Emotiva UPA-2, Marantz SR7001 w/Emotiva LPA-1, Emotiva UMC-1 w/Emotiva LPA-1, Panasonic SA-XR45, Panasonic SA-XR55.

That's 10 different combinations of receivers/amps/pre-amps. Best sound I've heard at all volume levels.

Most of the SA-XR series can be picked up for $100-150 + shipping. If you want extra power a couple of the models including the SA-XR55 have a Dual Amp feature that combines all the power the receiver has into the front 2 speakers. They automatically switch to Dual Amp mode if you're listening to a 2 channel source such as a CD, or if you only have 2 speakers connected like I do, the receiver always stays in Dual Amp mode.

A friend who worked on one of these for a buddy was totally impressed with this amplifier with the 12AU7 tubes switched out for 12BH7's in their place. Very reasonable price and lots of power. See if you can find one and grab a pair of 12BH7's before you go for an audition.

The Antique Sound Lab
Model AQ1003DHT

I recommend a pair of HH Scott Model 99 integrated amps.

The 99b is the best sounding in my experience.

The 99c is the next best sounding.

These are nice amps; 18 to 22 watts from a pair of 6l6 power tubes, tuned up by a pair of 12ax7's (also has a phono path with its own 12ax7.)

I bought a half a dozen of them and was having Terry DeWick tune them up in a very Conservative way.

If totally re-done,they don't sound like they do if you only replace the out of spec parts.

When conservatively updated, these are the sweetest sounding little amps.

Buy a pair in original shape and have a pro gently clean them up and bring them back to spec.

Until I decided that I needed more power, these were wonderful for me.

One of the sweetest sounding setups I've heard is a The Fisher KX-200 (nicely recapped) feeding a pair of Forte II's. Decent ones sell for $600 to $700. Don't know if that's the price range you're looking for, but well worth it.