tube question

@silverfox@

its a little late now but here goes. just purchase a DE WALD sterio amp. just to seeif i would like it,it wasnt very expensive.can any one tell me if its good bad or indiferent. i will be using this with 78 cornwalls,cd player for now later phono or casset thank you for any comment.

I think we should be asking you.

Really, I don't know the amp. I am interested in your impressions, since, If I understand your post, you have already purchased the amp.

Also, what are you normally using as an amp?

Generally tubes will sound smoother because they produce less distortion, at the sub-Watt level Klipsch speakers require for normal operation, than do many transistor amplifiers. You may notice that difference. If you do, and like it, then what you have probably learned is that you prefer lower levels of low power distortion. That's important to know .. especially with a nice set of speakers like the 78 cornwalls.

How DOES it sound?

leok ithank you for your reply. although ihave purchase this amp i have not yet receive it. i was prepare to purchase a tube amp to have a comparison between my current unit which is a A125x5 acurus.and was hoping some one might have some prior experiance with this amp. i have read other tread reguarding other amps mainly echo,scott,carey and others but was not able to personally audition any of these units also did not necessarly want to lay out large$$ on a trial basis.i am still hoping that some one has or has heard this amp and your opinon would be appreciated.realiseing that if this is not the area in which i choose to go then the cost is not substancial.i will give my my impressions on the performance of the amp.

Silver,

Where did you purchase it ? Ebay ? If so give us the URL and let us look it over and see what it has in it. I've never heard of it myself. What did it cost you if you don't mind me asking ?

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

I've seen a couple of these over the years--I'm guessing this is an EL84 push-pull integrated amp?

If I remember correctly they were made in Chicago and were definately "built to a price" (read: very cheap iron). But you know what, Heaths and Eicos had crappy iron too and they sound good, so I'm sure you'll have a ball with this. A very easy way to get into vintage tube gear. Bring it up on a variac and listen to it!

Good EL 84's are really nice sounding tubes. If the iron, wiring and internal components are of good quality, you'll enjoy the amp. If needed, a good cleaning with Caig DeoXit will do wonders too. Good push pulls can be quite musically pleasing.

Hope yours brings smiles.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

@silverfox@

I don't want to spoil your fun. But .... when you recieve this Amp I would be very carefull turning it on in fact you should have a Variac to limit the voltage in case something is shorted in the amp. These old amps have alot of components that can go bad if the amp has been left unused for a long time. At the very least keep your hands on the power button or switch for the first hour and be ready to shut it off if any weird smells or signs of excessive heat begin to surface. First thing to do is pull the fuse when you unpack it and make sure its the amp rating for the amp this is real important. If someone put a over rated fuse in because it kept blowing the stock size there is definitly something wrong with the amp and it shouldn't be run without someone checking it out completely.

I'm not trying to scare you just don't want something bad to happen to your new treasure.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

I would put fast blow fuses in the speaker cables

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>c>Super Ampf>s>c>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

Sony DVP-S9000ES

Klipsch RF7f>s>c>'s

SVS 20-39PCf>s>c>ic>

MIT/Monsters

Toshiba 36"f>s>c>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

@silverfox@

A Variac regulates the voltage to the amp and allows it to reform all the Capacitors. They can do some nasty damage if they are open or shorted.

If your handy you can use a lamp in series with the amps power cord but its a pain. I used to do it this way.

Did the Seller say if he had listened to the amp lately and for how long? If its been run rescently you most likely have no worry's. I wouldn't hook it to your good speakers if you have another set laying around for the test run in. even if there some cheapo junk.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>